Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

The weather patterns point to a major hurricane going through Miami before 2012. With the state of the financial industry and poor insurance underwriting, what do you think will happen when billions of dollars of damage are the result of a big blow? I remember how many people bought up New Orleans property to make a killing after it was rebuilt. However, it was all a bust. Miami is largely a poor city with thousands of very vulnerable properties at sea level. Even if a new high rise does not seem damaged, a storm surge can destroy the utilities and cause mold to grow in the building. Add to that toxic Chinese drywall made from coal ash stewing into sulfuric acid and the mess will be worse than expected. So the overwhelming expense of rebuilding Miami will bankrupt the State insurance fund leaving people to fend for themselves. What will happen next?

a) Foreign investors rush in to their beloved Miami to rebuild it, after all it is the only "paradise" on earth! Chinese and Saudis join Latin Americans to get in on the gold rush.

b) Miami becomes like New Orleans with wealthy areas being rebuilt and the rest of the area sitting destroyed like in hurricane Anrdrew. It takes 3 decades to fully recover like the 1926 great hurricane.

c) South Florida returns to the Everglades.

While c would be the best choice in my opinion I believe that "B" is the most likely outcome. Any feedback or other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:51 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
You'd better get the hell outta' Key Largo if you are wishing for such a destructive hurricane. Did Andrew not scare you enough?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
You'd better get the hell outta' Key Largo if you are wishing for such a destructive hurricane. Did Andrew not scare you enough?
Andrew did not even come here, unfortunately. It hit the poorest part of Dade county.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Andrew did not even come here, unfortunately. It hit the poorest part of Dade county.
wise up rick ,get out of Key longone before it happens.

Last edited by noland123; 04-13-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
'B'. Definately. It will take 10 years just for some people to get their insurance money as companies go bankrupt and the state is forced to pay off claims, thereby driving prices up for everyone.
I was dumb enough to stay after Andrew. If another one hits I'm out of here (if not sooner).

Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I think this year is the year when we will get another Cat 4-5. I hope not....but the weather has been so screwy that I have this ominous feeling. I hope I just being paranoid and I'm wrong. I hope. ps...oh my..666 views.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
i vote for b also. Andrew wasnt too far off B.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 AM

112 posts, read 282,351 times
I vote for c

and there willbe a huge water surge and the waters will have the oil spill

nervous european tourists will smoke more than usual and will throw their still lit cigarrette butts in the ocean Ans streets full of oil spill and the whole south Florida will be on fire. And it will be the end of life as we know it.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
my vote is with heydade. The weather this year has been bananas. NO I am not hoping for it, but I wont be shocked if it happened. It would definitely be like kicking a man when he is down though. People are already on the brink. This whole "economic recovery" the govt and the news keep talking about surely isn't reaching joe blow on the street, maybe its for the banks *yeah right*. Just the car damage alone would do a lot of people in seeing as how many people are going without car insurance these days. The ramifications for a big storm system hitting are 10 fold.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Miami & New Orleans just seem so different.

New Orleans is kind of like a city Cleveland, Cincinnati, Buffalo type of city. Meaning, it once was something great and had a lot of meaning to the U.S., but that seems to have been long gone. I mean, even now, I think of jazz and...well, kind of yesteryear heyday type stuff with New Orleans - although I must admit, it is a treasure of a city! I do love the city, but I think its in the rearview mirror of modern America, unfortunately.

Miami, however, is kind of the 80s city, and the 2010 city. It's a destination city whereas N.O. has lost that edge. Miami is something that makes a lot of popular videos and movies for musicians and TV 'people'. Miami has a much more 2010 image. There is also an enormous amount of money there - seems like every celebrity has a second home in the Miami area. I think the response from that element alone would be enormous, let alone the film/movie/tv/music coverage that would swamp it - i.e. bring in enormous donations to re-instate it to its currrent glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami