Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times

Advertisements

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, (62.0%)
Black persons,not Hispanic (19.8%)
White persons not Hispanic, (17.9%)
American Indian/Alaska Native persons, (0.4%)
Persons reporting two or more races, (1.0%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, (0.1%)

is it just me or has the Black population increased? .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post

That figure is bogus considering that most Jamaicans are offended by being categorized as 'black' or 'African American'. I can't blame them, but it is stupid that they insist on being separate from American blacks or that they need their own category when they are 99% African and 1% 'something else'.

Quote:
Maybe, but not in most parts of the county.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Jamaicans and Haitians do not object to being called black, they object to being called African-American. The census' first question is about RACE, so all Afro-Caribbeans are at least in theory supposed to mark "black," and I really doubt that many non-Hispanic black people mark anything else. I would be shocked if the margin of error due to this was anything more than 0.1%, really. Now when talking about Afro-Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, this changes, as many Afro-Hispanic are in denial of their race and check "other" as race, an option which I think should be eliminated. If you are racially mixed, the census provides you ample opportunity to indicate all of the races with which you are mixed, and provides everyone the opportunity to THEN indicate ethnicity or national origin on top of the preliminary question of race.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Quite curious.

The U.S Census Bureau employs a classification that resembles the one used by the Roman Empire.

You've got all types of races bundled up as "Latinized" (Civilized or living in Cities), and then you have "Not latinized" barbarians divided by race.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:52 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Quite curious.

The U.S Census Bureau employs a classification that resembles the one used by the Roman Empire.

You've got all types of races bundled up as "Latinized" (Civilized or living in Cities), and then you have "Not latinized" barbarians divided by race.
That's sure a Latin-centric way of looking at it. However, the U.S. looks at it from a Germanic/Anglo perspective (i.e. white, non-white) - everyone else is apparently the barbarian. I doubt that Latin or "Romance" ethnicity is the apex of civilized culture. Too many vowels!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM

But the US census does NOT look at things in terms of "white" versus "non-white." Nearly half of those marking the "Hispanic/Latino" ETHNIC option checked the "white" RACE option. Though it is probable that many that checked "white" are actually racially mixed, you know from living in Miami that a substantial percentage of the "Hispanic/Latino" population is "white," and although considered an ethnic minority, is part of this country's racial majority.

I am hoping that the "barbarian" comment wasn't meant to be extended to today because there are "barbaric" people of all races and ethnicities living in this country...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Crisp

The bundle all races belonging to a culture as "Latin". That's the Roman Way.

As to the "mixed" issue. According to European standards, most American are mixed except very recent European immigrants. A person with Slavic, Greek, Cherokee, Irish and French Canadian blood in him is a mixed person. I mean, how do they know if they are white if they don't have their lineage?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 PM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times
Quote:
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, (62.0%)
American Indian/Alaska Native persons, (0.4%)
Persons reporting two or more races, (1.0%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, (0.1%)

What`s the source of this info?

White persons not Hispanic, (17.9%) ???

Where are these people hidden??? lol

Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 PM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Crisp

The bundle all races belonging to a culture as "Latin". That's the Roman Way.

As to the "mixed" issue. According to European standards, most American are mixed except very recent European immigrants. A person with Slavic, Greek, Cherokee, Irish and French Canadian blood in him is a mixed person. I mean, how do they know if they are white if they don't have their lineage?

USA is not considered a white country by Europeans.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
What`s the source of this info?

White persons not Hispanic, (17.9%) ???

Where are these people hidden??? lol
Get out of Fountainbleau (isn't that where you live?) sometime. There are loads of non-Hispanic white people in Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Kendall, South Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Miami Springs, Miami Lakes, Miami Shores, Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Miami Beach, Surfside, Bal Harbour, Key Biscayne, Brickell....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami