Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjam View Post
Anyhow, white Americans call the shots to say who is white and who is not white in America. And some "white" Latins are clamoring to be included in that white majority instead of being happy with their culture and who they are. If you have a third world background you will never be white in America.
This is far from true. I am a white American, born and raised in this country. I have lived in Miami, Boston, and New York, as well as in Europe and have educated friends from around this country and around the world who know that "white" means a light-skinned person of non-mixed Caucasian origin. Most of the "Hispanic" people who grew up with me in South Florida fit that description (grandparents and great grandparents from Europe who had children in Latin America, who then had children in the United States.) You're not "non-white" just because your European ancestors were in Latin America for a generation or two before coming to the United States. The absurdity of that idea would produce laughter among any well-informed educated crowd in London, Rome, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, New York.... it doesn't concern me what Joe Blow from Missouri thinks. Again, I will repeat what I like to say whenever this discussion arises: "Being wrong in greater numbers doesn't make you any more right."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:36 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This is far from true. I am a white American, born and raised in this country. I have lived in Miami, Boston, and New York, as well as in Europe and have educated friends from around this country and around the world who know that "white" means a light-skinned person of non-mixed Caucasian origin. Most of the "Hispanic" people who grew up with me in South Florida fit that description (grandparents and great grandparents from Europe who had children in Latin America, who then had children in the United States.) You're not "non-white" just because your European ancestors were in Latin America for a generation or two before coming to the United States. The absurdity of that idea would produce laughter among any well-informed educated crowd in London, Rome, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, New York.... it doesn't concern me what Joe Blow from Missouri thinks. Again, I will repeat what I like to say whenever this discussion arises: "Being wrong in greater numbers doesn't make you any more right."
Crisp, please don't turn this into another one of your "what is white" flame wars. This is a discussion about CUBA and its implications on Miami's economy.

BACK TO THE FRIGGIN OP

Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
Quote:
CIA world factbook has other demos for Cuba:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...cu.html#People

Anyhow, white Americans call the shots to say who is white and who is not white in America. And some "white" Latins are clamoring to be included in that white majority instead of being happy with their culture and who they are. If you have a third world background you will never be white in America.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <gasp> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Crisp, please don't turn this into another one of your "what is white" flame wars. This is a discussion about CUBA and its implications on Miami's economy.

BACK TO THE FRIGGIN OP
Excuse me for speaking off-topic, but you know very well that I never start discussions on "what is white" on this forum: other people start them, post bad information, and I feel compelled to respond.

I commend you for encouraging people to stick to the terms of service, but if you're going to direct me to stay on topic, please do so with the various other forumers talking about "Hispanics," how nice people are in North Carolina, and how unsafe and ghetto Miami is.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:09 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Cubans aren`t white period. And Habana is not an Euro city.
I watched your Chongalicious video, and those two girls could be Spaniards, especially the one with the curls.
I've been to different parts of Spain and there's a good number of Spaniards in my circle of friends and acquaintances.

From what I've seen and heard Cuba is not white, but I'm not that sure about Cuban expats.
As for Havana: IMO, saying it's a Euro city doesn't really make sense. It's a Cuban city. Punto.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I reckon we talked about this. There are different definitions of "white"; you and Tjam simply have different notions of what "white" means, neither of which is completely wrong.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I reckon we talked about this. There are different definitions of "white"; you and Tjam simply have different notions of what "white" means, neither of which is completely wrong.
Let's put it this way, Americans think they are the only WHITE people on Earth. I am white, and also Cuban. But because I was born in the island I am considered "brown". That's absurd. I think it shows how ignorant some people can be when they group 20+ nationalities into one group and expect all of us to fit the Mexican type, just because that's the only Hispanic person they know.

For example, I live in NC (yes the promised beautiful land blah blah), and I work with Americans. I am the only Hispanic in my company of at least 200 employees. They don't see me as white, even though my skin color is as pale as theirs!! They have some kind of mental block that makes it hard for them to understand that I am white. They have a distorted view of what being white is.

Anyways, back to the topic. Yeah once Cuba becomes the a Mecca for tourism, Miami will suffer. Why go to Miami when 90 miles South the beaches are more beautiful, prices are cheaper and the people the nicer. I would also anticipate the end of tourism to other Caribbean islands like Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and all those tiny islands at the Eastern edge of the Caribbean Sea. Again, why go to those islands when you can go to the bigger island which is much closer to the USA and offers more variety, culture, history and beaches.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
The Cubans that migrated to Miami during the "Mariel" in 1980 were not white/spaniards!!!!!!!!! OHHH MY GOOOOOOD all of them were mixed cafe con leche african + spanish.

Cuba :: People -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Why don`t you read the history of the Cuban people. Cubans were cafe con leche long before the Mariel exodus....

The majority (+95%) of my Cuban students in Miami are all mullattoes.

Leovigildo, next time you talk about Argentines at least try to support your comments with weblinkss,,,,(use reliable sources please)
the same goes to your Cubano comments...try to support them with weblinks...I used the Brittanica enciclopedia and Wikipedia...that`s what normal people do when they try to support their comments...

Do a simple Google image search and type "Cubans" (you`ll see a ton of dark skinned/light brown people) then do a second google search and type "Argentines". You must be very ignorant when you say that the majority of Argentines look like maradona. An average Argentine looks a bizillion times whiter than a Cuban.

Cubans are all mulattoes Period. They are "cafe con leche". Now, if you want people to think that Cubans are white Euro Spaniards and that Cuba is an European city good luck with that...

You are the typical Cuban that talks about the amount of Spaniards that migrated to Cuba...you just "forget" the part when you are supposed to say they were mixed with hundred of thousands of African slaves since the early 16th century .

That process was called "colonization", and was experienced in all Latin America.

I hope you enjoyed the demographics/history lesson about Cubanos/Cubanas. Education is good... maybe next time you`ll think twice before making nonsense/ignorant comments that Cubans are EuroSpaniards....

and I am not racist (I am multiracial)... I just feel sorry for those Miami Cubans who really really really try try to brainwash people becuase they want to be labeled as "white Euros" or "Anglo-Americans".

ha ha ha...

I`ll be back in a month... by the way..I am a U.S Citizen as well... like many of you.

Cubans in Miami are not the only U.S. Americans... there are puerto ricans too.... maybe you want to know that...bye.
I don't think Leo has to support his statements with any links. The reason being that he is Cuban. He knows what he is talking about. No need for Wiki or Britta. All he needs is his Cuban life and experiences to set you straight and give you REAL information.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
CIA world factbook has other demos for Cuba:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...cu.html#People

Miami-Dade is a haven for transplants from Latin America, Caribbean, Africa, Asia, etc. Whites who bemoan that Miami-Dade is majority non-white need to go somewhere else. The area will likely not ever again be majority white.
Predictions about the future of Miami-Dade? It will be one of the most affluent areas in America, the jewel of the south. Look for housing construction to roar back to a new high within five years.
How will Miami be one of the USA's most affluent areas when half the population doesn't speak a word of English, and the other half is not even a high school graduate? Please explain your logic?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
Cubans are all mulattoes Period. They are "cafe con leche". Now, if you want people to think that Cubans are white Euro Spaniards and that Cuba is an European city good luck with that...
Like I said in another post, then I guess all Anglos in America are black to some extent or another. All of this smacks of octoroon labelling that happened in America for centuries.
Remember that there was migration into Cuba for many centuries; Galicians, Chinese, you name it. Also, there is a middle eastern presence in Cuba. I for one happen to be Lebanese/Syrian on my mom's side. Cuban folks are not just black or white so to speak. But yes, I agree that for the most part we are mostly of Spanish stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami