Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 19,098 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just moved to Miami in Sept. '08 with my husband and 2 kids, ages 3 and 1. We moved here from NY for my husbands job. Currently, we live in Miami, Silver Bluff Estates, which is right next to Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. We are renting a house and were planning to move to a different area in a few years since we had to find something fast in Sept. However, we were just robbed last week and want to get out NOW! There are many things I like about living in this general area, the main one being my husbands commute to Brickell is 10 minutes. Coming from NY, where his commute was an hour into NYC, this has been great for everyone. But now, I am so uncomfortable in my own house and the more people I talk to, the more I hear it is happening all over here and do not feel safe here. Unless you have a gate around your house, an alarm system, bars on your windows, or a gun, I am told you are going to be vulnerable-we have none of those. We also want to be in a place that has better schools. Can anyone help me find an area that won't mean a ridiculous commute, but is safer and great for families? So far, people have mentioned Weston, Aventura, Hollywood, and Pinecrest. We do not want to go the condo route having just left apartment life in NY. We have driven around some of the areas and I just came back from Weston which comes highly recommended but I'm not completely in love with it so far. It also took me 40 minutes against traffic so I really don't like that. My husband is willing to make the drive if it means a better life (afterall, he is used to an hour commute) but I hate the idea of going back to waiting an hour for him to come home after work. I am so torn and know I will have to make sacrifices of some sort but would like to hear some opinions. We are looking to rent a house in the $2600 range. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM

268 posts, read 900,115 times
Fort Lauderdale.... or stay in Coral Gables near Lejune and Coral Way, or Brickwell high rise condo.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtohearn View Post
Hi,
I just moved to Miami in Sept. '08 with my husband and 2 kids, ages 3 and 1. We moved here from NY for my husbands job. Currently, we live in Miami, Silver Bluff Estates, which is right next to Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. We are renting a house and were planning to move to a different area in a few years since we had to find something fast in Sept. However, we were just robbed last week and want to get out NOW! There are many things I like about living in this general area, the main one being my husbands commute to Brickell is 10 minutes. Coming from NY, where his commute was an hour into NYC, this has been great for everyone. But now, I am so uncomfortable in my own house and the more people I talk to, the more I hear it is happening all over here and do not feel safe here. Unless you have a gate around your house, an alarm system, bars on your windows, or a gun, I am told you are going to be vulnerable-we have none of those. We also want to be in a place that has better schools. Can anyone help me find an area that won't mean a ridiculous commute, but is safer and great for families? So far, people have mentioned Weston, Aventura, Hollywood, and Pinecrest. We do not want to go the condo route having just left apartment life in NY. We have driven around some of the areas and I just came back from Weston which comes highly recommended but I'm not completely in love with it so far. It also took me 40 minutes against traffic so I really don't like that. My husband is willing to make the drive if it means a better life (afterall, he is used to an hour commute) but I hate the idea of going back to waiting an hour for him to come home after work. I am so torn and know I will have to make sacrifices of some sort but would like to hear some opinions. We are looking to rent a house in the $2600 range. Please help!
So sorry to hear that you got robbed. That is awful.

If you really wanna change of scenery and lifestyle...Asheville NC, Raleigh NC, Alpharetta GA...

in FL... Weston.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
OP- Sorry to hear about your experience, sadly the crime in your area and other "good" parts of Miami-Dade is on the rise. Weston would be such a far ride for your husband, I personally wouldn't move there either just because its so far out there. We are leaving Miami because we are over feeling just like you, even though i live in what many people think is a great area. The best suggestion I can give you is to find a gated community. This will make you feel better over all. Pinecrest, Coral Gables (someone just told me that they feel just like you do and they live in Coral Gables, they don't let their children play in the backyard unless someone they know is out there with them, in their backyard...), South Miami, Coconut Grove, Brickell, Key Biscayne are all great areas but they do have crime in them too. Sadly crime is up all over South Florida.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,251 times
Where you headed Doggiebus? I too thought that might be too far of a drive.

I live in a gated community, as are most of the subdivisions around me, and I'm not sure it keeps the riff raff out. We have had things happen in our area and other gated areas. you wouldnt think that living in a subdivision where homes (were) starting at $300k and a gate, you'd have to worry like you do.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM

All you nice folks complain about Miami being so dangerous!

I was driving in traffic in Doral yesterday, and a Latrino couple were shouting (in a car). The wife opened the passenger door halfway while her crazy azzed husband kept on driving, still shouting at her. Well, I called 911 And BAM! The Doral Police were right there talling them within 10 minutes!

The same scenario in Brazil, the Police would never show and you'd have to bribe them to do anything.

I was living in Rio de Janeiro before and Maimi is heaven compared to big city Brazil.

Use common sense: 1. Dont go out late at night 2. Pack heat 3. Don't have a bunch of kids 4. Live within your means and stop driving new BMWs.

If you want to live like Angels move to Idaho back country or Canadian Rockies.......

Old 04-28-2009, 01:02 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Where you headed Doggiebus? I too thought that might be too far of a drive.

I live in a gated community, as are most of the subdivisions around me, and I'm not sure it keeps the riff raff out. We have had things happen in our area and other gated areas. you wouldnt think that living in a subdivision where homes (were) starting at $300k and a gate, you'd have to worry like you do.
Not sure where we are moving yet, some place not a hot and humid as long as we are in South Florida that is for sure. Gated communities aren't super secure, I know that, but they are a deterrent to some extent.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM

The Floridian,
Wow, that was offensive and absolutely no help at all. What is even the point in taking time to respond to someone such as myself who is looking for help in a new place and getting people like you who try to make me feel even worse just because you have bitter feelings about something not related to my problem. I'm not complaining about Miami being so dangerous. I'm simply stating a fact that I now live in Miami, I have TWO kids, and I just got robbed of our modest possessions including my grandmothers (who just passed away) jewelry that isn't worth a cent to anyone else because it was all costume stuff but meant the most to me. And it was in broad daylight when I left to pick up my daughter from school in my Jeep Cherokee. If by anything I just stated meant I was asking to get robbed because I was being stupid, well then we live in a really scary place an no one is safe. If I have to "pack heat" to feel safe in FL, well then we will move back to NY gladly. We came here for a better job opportunity but if that means putting my kids in danger by not living in a house that is all gated up, forget it. Your common sense tips are the most idiotic things I have ever read and direct your hatred and bitterness toward someone else please.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Nice lady , sorry u feel that way . I was only trying to help .

Have a nice day

Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Sorry but telling someone to Use common sense and " Don't have a bunch of kids and Live within your means and stop driving new BMWs." did not seem like you were really trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami