Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
It is true. Hispanics have a tendency of cutting down trees. I usually joke with my out of state relatives when they come to Miami and see the lack of trees. I tell them that we cut them down because of we don't want "el coco" to hide behind them. Coral Gables without the trees looks like Hialeah.
Why do you guys continue to post that Hispanics do not like trees ... have you ever been to Buenos Aires , Medellin , Colombia or Santiago Chile ... there are gorgeous tree lined streets everywhere and nicely maintained lawns and landscapes ... it is the Cubans that have arrived in Miami in the last ten - fifteen years that do not like trees and park their cars in the yards on the grass ... stop generalizing all Hispanics ... it would be like generalizing all Asians ... lol .... do not shoot the messenger as I am only repeating what my friends from South America also complain about when the go to MIAMI

Old 05-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon'Fishing View Post
I dont like that look either. Looks like Florida. But not that much of NC looks like that. When did you live there in Raeligh to know that is (supposedly) looks like suburban sprawl in "much of nc." Because it isnt true. Some places look like that, but it isnt nearly as prevalent as it is in Florida.

Do us all a favor and either move to NC or if you are already there then enjoy life and stop posting here .... thank you .

Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I do like those much better than all the mediterrainain styles but the first one I really love. If I could have that, in Florida on several acres I would be one happy camper!

You will find homes like that all over St.Johns County just south of Jacksonville ... they are not my cup of tea , but if you like them great .

Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Why do you guys continue to post that Hispanics do not like trees ... have you ever been to Buenos Aires , Medellin , Colombia or Santiago Chile ... there are gorgeous tree lined streets everywhere and nicely maintained lawns and landscapes ... it is the Cubans that have arrived in Miami in the last ten - fifteen years that do not like trees and park their cars in the yards on the grass ... stop generalizing all Hispanics ... it would be like generalizing all Asians ... lol .... do not shoot the messenger as I am only repeating what my friends from South America also complain about when the go to MIAMI
Two thumbs up

I used to live in the capital of a "Hispanic" country that, overall, had much better landscaping and streetscaping than cities here in the United States. In general, however, there was better landscaping in the wealthier neighborhoods. Upper-income areas were lush and green, middle-income areas had some trees, bushes, and flowers but not as much as upper-income areas, and lower-income areas had little vegetation at all. Same as Miami, basically...

Upper-income Cuban areas in Miami have beautiful landscaping. It's the areas of lower-income/working-class recently-arrived Cubans and Central Americans that have no vegetation whatsoever.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Rock, can you post pics of Weston? Believe it or not, I have heard people complain that it is turning into a "no speakie English" area. [Which is ridiculous because most of the "Hispanics" there are upper-middle class and speak English, but that's besides the point... people have actually characterized Weston as "no speakie English"]
I live in Parkland now ... but lived in Weston for several years with the family and we loved it , I still get down there often to see friends .. anyone who says it is a no speakie English zone is an ignorant idiot .. as the population is still 58% Anglo / White American .. in fact with the economic crisis and the crackdown on obtaining visas and immigration the Hispanic community is actually decreasing in Weston and you are seeing more Asians , Indians , and people from places like Russia and Romania .. yes you have some Hispanics in Weston that speak little English .. what would you expect from say a person who immigrated at the age of 40 and has been here for four or five years , but for the most part the Hispanics in Weston are professional and upscale and quite frankly I thought friendlier than our Anglo neighbors .. we found our dream house with stables for our daughters horse in Parkland and we love Parkland but frankly we enjoyed Weston just as much ... if you go the Ft.Lauderdale forum there is a person called Weston Daily Photo who I believe is an Italian guy that has beautiful pictures of Weston ... trust me if some of the Hispanics in Miami were of the same class as the ones in Weston .. you would not have so many posts bordering on the assinine and frankly racist on this forum .

Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Two thumbs up

I used to live in the capital of a "Hispanic" country that, overall, had much better landscaping and streetscaping than cities here in the United States. In general, however, there was better landscaping in the wealthier neighborhoods. Upper-income areas were lush and green, middle-income areas had some trees, bushes, and flowers but not as much as upper-income areas, and lower-income areas had little vegetation at all. Same as Miami, basically...

Upper-income Cuban areas in Miami have beautiful landscaping. It's the areas of lower-income/working-class recently-arrived Cubans and Central Americans that have no vegetation whatsoever.
The Cubans that I know and live in Pine Crest , Palmetto Bay and Coral Gables have lovely maintained and landscaped homes ... it is a matter of class and not ethnicity or race ... I am in Houston right now at the Marriott in Westchase ... come out here and see some of the lower middle class white areas in Spring , Pearland ,Cypress and Alief and tell me about nice landscaping ...... yeah plenty of vegetation .... overgrown weeds , dead brown grass rusty sheds , fences falling apart and broken down pick up trucks in the front yards ... and nope no Cubans anywhere or any Hispanics for that matter . Idiots on this forum have made it a race or ethnicity issue when it is all about socio-economic class .

Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Two thumbs up

Oddly enough you will find lots of greenery in the poor black areas of Miami-Dade. Lower income areas like Opa-Locka and Little Haiti have more trees and such than areas like Sweetwater and Hialeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I live in Parkland now ... but lived in Weston for several years with the family and we loved it , I still get down there often to see friends .. anyone who says it is a no speakie English zone is an ignorant idiot .. as the population is still 58% Anglo / White American .. in fact with the economic crisis and the crackdown on obtaining visas and immigration the Hispanic community is actually decreasing in Weston and you are seeing more Asians , Indians , and people from places like Russia and Romania .
Weston is currently 42.3% Hispanic and 42.6% Caucasian (not all whites are Anglos). It has increased about 12% since 2000, when it was only about 30% Hispanic. The area looked very "white" to me the last few times I was there though. And in terms of Asians, Indians, and whites from Russia and Romania, Northeast Dade is much more diverse in terms of that (in areas like Aventura, North Miami Beach, and Sunny Isles Beach).

Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Crisp

I think that the problem here lies in the fact that Hispanics have better houses than "Anglos" in Southern Florida. Hispanics own most of the best neighborhoods in Dade.

They are all bilingual and professional, they switch between languages when they want. Hispanics control the Town Hall, most professional jobs and they have no qualms about proclaiming their identity.

If Hispanics in South Florida were to be like Mexicans or Dominicans in NY or California, they wouldn't complain at all. I guess they want Hispanics to be "hoods", not professionals more educated than Anglos.

In fact, disposable household income of second generation Cubans in Florida is higher than "Anglos". Such a fact destroys their whole equation.

This is the main issue here. That's why the complain about manners or traffic.

But the real problem here is the clash between 20th Century North America and 21th Century North america.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Oddly enough you will find lots of greenery in the poor black areas of Miami-Dade. Lower income areas like Opa-Locka and Little Haiti have more trees and such than areas like Sweetwater and Hialeah.
Lower-income Anglo whites and blacks tend not to remove trees like lower-income Latins do. It's a combination of culture and socioeconomic class. People from the Anglosphere prefer lawns over fountains, gates, and ironwork regardless of social class; people from the Latin world prefer the latter over the former. More affluent Latins, however, want both lush landscaping AND fountains, gates, and ironwork. You'll see this all over the Mediterannean, in Latin America, and in heavily-Latin areas of the United States. [This isn't really applicable to gated communities, however, due to their restrictions on the modification of the exterior of a home and the fact that the community is already gated so a wall/gate around the home is not necessary]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Weston is currently 42.3% Hispanic and 42.6% Caucasian (not all whites are Anglos). It has increased about 12% since 2000, when it was only about 30% Hispanic. The area looked very "white" to me the last few times I was there though. And in terms of Asians, Indians, and whites from Russia and Romania, Northeast Dade is much more diverse in terms of that (in areas like Aventura, North Miami Beach, and Sunny Isles Beach).
Interesting. One thing, though. You tend to use the word "Caucasian" as a synonym for non-Hispanic white, and that is a bit confusing and misleading. Caucasians include Middle Easterners, Indians, Pakistanis, and Europeans... it is much broader than "white." All whites (including many "Hispanics") are Caucasian, but not all Caucasians are white.

The reason Weston probably looked so "white" to you is because you can't tell from looking at most of the Weston "Hispanics" that they are "Hispanic." Weston is probably 80-85% + "white"

Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
I think that the problem here lies in the fact that Hispanics have better houses than "Anglos" in Southern Florida. Hispanics own most of the best neighborhoods in Dade.
That's not completely true. The wealthiest areas are heavily "Anglo," Jewish, and Cuban. Cubans don't have a monopoly on upper-income areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
But the real problem here is the clash between 20th Century North America and 21th Century North america.
What do you mean by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami