Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:37 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,056,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You know I know someone that actually went to a grocery store, and the people (2 or 3 can't remember the exact number) at the deli counter wouldn't help them, the people at the deli counter said no speakie english to my friends. My friends were like ha, someone would hire someone that doesn't speak english for the deli counter? So they went to the customer service counter and asked for the manager, when they told the manager that the people behind the counter couldn't understand them because the deli counter people didn't speak english. The manger said, they speak english! I was surprised but these people wouldn't lie, so I know its a true story. This actually happened in a white area actually. So it does happen.

I do not buy it ... sorry that "'someone " is feeding you a load of baloney .. I have been in South Florida for almost fifteen years although I live in Parkland ( thank God ) I do get down to Miami often and I have never , ever felt that a Hispanic was refusing to speak English to me .. they simply may have not known how to speak English and usually call over someone who does . Besides living down here for several years ... I spent all my summers from Elementary School thru College down here .. I do not believe your friends story ... sorry . Like any other immigrant group the children of these "so -called" no speakee English Hispanics will be fluent in English and will not "refuse " to speak it .. again it just a normal part of the assimilation process ... .. when we lived in Weston my daughters had friends who were the children of well off educated South Americans and in fact these kids refused to speak Spanish , yes Spanish much to the chagrin of their parents . Many of you are being unfair to people who have just arrived here and you are expecting them to break out in fluent English ... it is very difficult to learn a new language especially whe you are in your 30's and 40 's .... the intolerance here on this forum is amazing . Again we are in a free democratic country and it is not against the law to speak your native tongue in public and no do not feed me that tired old line of garbage that all other immigrant groups came here and learned fluent English in a short time ..... I know Italians in NYC and NJ that have been in the US for years and still speak little English and no it is not because they "refuse" too it is just very difficult to learn especially after a certain age . I have seen some Americans lose their cool at Miami International Airport to the point of being @*# holes .. because a Hispanic service person although in solid English spoke with an accent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is unfair and shameful .... again the language thing is absurd on this forum .... I can agree with other issues that may make Americans impatient and / or annoyed with some Hispanics .. but we should get used to the language thing , embrace it learn it or we can always leave and move to North Carolina where everyone is good , honest , god fearing , caring , crime free and speaks English .

Last edited by Rock Newman; 05-16-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,796,070 times
It did happen to me once at an upscale department store (Bloomingdales), but I I never saw it happen again. No, Miami-Dade isn't a "normal" living envrionment, but if we have to stereotype "rude people", the rudest people in South Florida are in Palm Beach County IMO. Miami is just "different" and takes some getting used to (some obviously never do), while in PBC the brashness can feel very intentional and personal. Either very superficial or very ghetto.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,224,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It did happen to me once at an upscale department store (Bloomingdales), but I I never saw it happen again. No, Miami-Dade isn't a "normal" living envrionment, but if we have to stereotype "rude people", the rudest people in South Florida are in Palm Beach County IMO. Miami is just "different" and takes some getting used to (some obviously never do), while in PBC the brashness can feel very intentional and personal. Either very superficial or very ghetto.
The Sawgrass Mall in Sunrise in Broward has more rude people than any shopping center I've experienced up here in Palm Beach. You know it's true I live in West Palm Beach and the people here are extremely nice compared to wherever the population that shops there comes from.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,796,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
The Sawgrass Mall in Sunrise in Broward has more rude people than any shopping center I've experienced up here in Palm Beach. You know it's true I live in West Palm Beach and the people here are extremely nice compared to wherever the population that shops there comes from.
I tend to avoid it because the dredges of all three counties, as well as tourists converge there for cheap, outdated clothing. Even if I wanted to go, I couldn't because there isn't anywhere to park! I actually find *gasp!* the Dolphin Mall to be far more pleasant for outlet shopping! The worst thing I have ever seen there, aside from a few chongas and mall rats, is some guy spit on the floor. Other than that, my experiences there have been good.

It's also important to note that Broward really doesn't have a nice mall. Galleria is almost there, but they need better anchors.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,312,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Sorry , but the Cubans that have come here in the last ten - fifteen years are not much more educated than other Latinos ... the Cubans who came here in the 1960's and early 70's may fall into that catagory ... but not what is coming over now , those are strictly "chusma " ... my Mother in Law is Cuban American so I get the scoop from her . Undesirables from all nations have come here , but the wet foot dry foot Cubans are a breed apart .. sorry guy that is how I see it .. they are nothing , I mean nothing like the original Cuban immigrants who were and are solid people .
Hey, I was here in the 1960s and I can tell you that the behavior of the first wave of Cubans was pretty much the same as the following waves of Cubans.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 PM

268 posts, read 896,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
My parents moved to South Florida in 1977 and I was born in 1985. I grew up there and lived there full-time until 2003, when I moved to Boston for college. Since then I have lived in Madrid and New York, where I am now about to enter my final year of law school. Ever since I have left, I return three times per year to visit my family and friends in Miami-Dade and the Keys.

I remember when Andrew decimated South Dade. I remember when most souls left downtown after 6:00 PM were seemingly homeless people and drug dealers. I remember when much of Lincoln Road was boarded up, as many of the old Jewish people who used to live around there and patronize those business had either moved to North Beach/Millionaire's Row or had passed away. I remember hearing about all the violence and crime the drug wave brought with it.

Flash forward to 2009 and many things in Miami-Dade County are better now than ever before. South Dade has picked up its pieces, downtown is being revitalized, Lincoln road is a bustling pedestrian thoroughfare of tourists and locals. Many places of the county are safer than they ever were when I was a child, and most neighborhoods are just as nice. Some are nicer. Places that have gotten better? Brickell, South Miami, Coral Gables, East Kendall, and Miami Beach. Places that have gotten worse? Parts of north and NE Miami-Dade. Places that have stayed the same in safety and "niceness"? Most of central and west Miami-Dade. Overall, I have seen things improve in my lifetime. My parents have lived there for 32 years and don't complain about negative changes either, except for the traffic.

Miami is one of my favorite places in this country. The reason I no longer choose to make it my full-time home is because it overall isn't urban enough for me. It is too spread-out and car-oriented for me to feel comfortable living my day-to-day life there. If Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell, South Beach, and Surfside were all next to each other and not spread apart as they are, I might have chosen to stay forever. I prefer European cities and cities that are most like them (Boston, NYC) and much of Miami-Dade falls short of that. Thankfully, however, it isn't nearly as cookie-cutter and soulless as most of the rest of this country that was built post-1970.

I don't appreciate the snarky responses I get that I don't know Miami and that if I really loved it so much, I would be living there full-time. Some people just don't get that there are reasonable people out there like myself who just disagree with them that Miami sucks and is full of rude people. In fact, I have friends who are bankers, architects, accountants, store owners, and artists - some of whom speak little to no Spanish - who love living in Miami and who wouldn't choose anywhere else in this country. I don't choose Miami, but I certainly would choose it over 90% of the rest of the world.

Even if I thought that Miami had a disproportionate amount of disrespectful, inconsiderate people, I would nonetheless choose to deal with them and live in a unique place than be showered with fake smiles and "how ya doin's" on a cookie-cutter cul-de-sac in Alpharetta, Naperville, Cary, or Sugar Land. Miami doesn't appeal to the run-of-the-mill American. That's really no concern of mine, because run-of-the-mill America doesn't really appeal to me. Live wherever is most appealing to you. If Miami is your personal version of hell, why not leave?
People -
I am born/reared in central Florida and travel in/out of Miami most of my life. I am 44 years old, and Crisp444 is IMO 100% correct on her views about Miami-Dade.

Mr. Rock Newman makes good logic with his comments, and personally I've only had one rude incident in Miami and that was 3 years ago when I stayed in a run down Motel on Sunny Isles Strip ( the Camel statues out front ), and one night a young cocky Cuban girl with her 10+ kids/family shoved in a room called me derogatory names for no reason. I like Miami, the diversity and all that goes with it.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Hey, I was here in the 1960s and I can tell you that the behavior of the first wave of Cubans was pretty much the same as the following waves of Cubans.
I disagree with you 100% ... other than sharing the same language both groups were and are completely different .

Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
People -
I am born/reared in central Florida and travel in/out of Miami most of my life. I am 44 years old, and Crisp444 is IMO 100% correct on her views about Miami-Dade.

Mr. Rock Newman makes good logic with his comments, and personally I've only had one rude incident in Miami and that was 3 years ago when I stayed in a run down Motel on Sunny Isles Strip ( the Camel statues out front ), and one night a young cocky Cuban girl with her 10+ kids/family shoved in a room called me derogatory names for no reason. I like Miami, the diversity and all that goes with it.
Why on earth did you stay at that hotel in Sunny Isles with the camels
out front looks tacky as hell ... all kidding aside I actually like that area there are a lot of Eastern Europeans there and it gives Dade a different feel .

Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,375,328 times
It actually happened, I was surprised too, but it did happen. Why should English speaking people leave South Florida for the Carolinas, just because someone new to this country doesn't want to learn the language. When my mother came to this country she learned english, as a respect to this country and so she could speak to people. These people need to do the same. If you plan on coming to the US they should start learning english before they come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I do not buy it ... sorry that "'someone " is feeding you a load of baloney .. I have been in South Florida for almost fifteen years although I live in Parkland ( thank God ) I do get down to Miami often and I have never , ever felt that a Hispanic was refusing to speak English to me .. they simply may have not known how to speak English and usually call over someone who does . Besides living down here for several years ... I spent all my summers from Elementary School thru College down here .. I do not believe your friends story ... sorry . Like any other immigrant group the children of these "so -called" no speakee English Hispanics will be fluent in English and will not "refuse " to speak it .. again it just a normal part of the assimilation process ... .. when we lived in Weston my daughters had friends who were the children of well off educated South Americans and in fact these kids refused to speak Spanish , yes Spanish much to the chagrin of their parents . Many of you are being unfair to people who have just arrived here and you are expecting them to break out in fluent English ... it is very difficult to learn a new language especially whe you are in your 30's and 40 's .... the intolerance here on this forum is amazing . Again we are in a free democratic country and it is not against the law to speak your native tongue in public and no do not feed me that tired old line of garbage that all other immigrant groups came here and learned fluent English in a short time ..... I know Italians in NYC and NJ that have been in the US for years and still speak little English and no it is not because they "refuse" too it is just very difficult to learn especially after a certain age . I have seen some Americans lose their cool at Miami International Airport to the point of being @*# holes .. because a Hispanic service person although in solid English spoke with an accent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is unfair and shameful .... again the language thing is absurd on this forum .... I can agree with other issues that may make Americans impatient and / or annoyed with some Hispanics .. but we should get used to the language thing , embrace it learn it or we can always leave and move to North Carolina where everyone is good , honest , god fearing , caring , crime free and speaks English .

Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 AM

268 posts, read 896,998 times
The USA was founded on immigrants and YES, they should all learn english but sadly they don't. However, Latinos in Miami are modest, most of them. The Cubans are the only hispanic race that is somewhat loud. Brazilains also..... The Americans born in Miami that bailed out simply do not have the experience I and others here do, meaning taveling abd appreciating other cultures. They are prolly homegrown American simple folk and have no desire to travel or see other continents and have no desire to listen or speak another language. Traveling/learning/speaking new languages is one of the best learning anyone can do. It beats college classroom learning by a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami