Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,854,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
The article is here: NAACP, Homestead council in dispute over Confederate flag - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1056521.html - broken link)

What do you all think about this? I think that although some are offended by the Confederate flag, it is not a hate symbol and should not be banned from public spaces and gatherings.
The confederate battle flag is absolutley a symbol of hate.

What's funny to me is all the inbreds out there that claim it's their " southern heritage " and it's their "history, not hate" blah blah blah, If that's the case and they're just being proud of their history, Why don't they fly this flag ?

Mod cut: copyright violation

THAT was the official flag of the Southern Confederate States, Most people that fly the Confederate Battle Flag are doing it only to get under the skin of minorities and people that don't like rednecks. Most are just tempting people to start a fight with them.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-27-2009 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I disagree that the Confederate flag is an appropriate comparison to the swastika. To my knowledge, the Confederate flag is a symbol of the American South and the secessionist movement; not a symbol of slavery or hate. I am not culturally "Southern" and have absolutely no affinity for the Confederacy or its flag. However, I disagree with disallowing its use and display in public places because the way I see it, it is not a symbol that is widely considered hateful.

How would you all react if I were to tell you that the image of Che Guevara is offensive to me because he murdered hundreds of people in Cuba for speaking out against the revolution, practicing religion, and being gay? I am not really that offended by seeing his image all over posters and t-shirts, but I know many people who get quite upset and offended when they see this. Should Che's image be banned just because these people are offended? If the Confederate flag is a "hate" symbol, why isn't the famous picture of Che that is worn on t-shirts, seen on posters, and displayed at parades and protests? Both images evoke hate in at least some people's minds.
The confederate flag represents a rouge, traitor nation to the United States and they were defeated in war and forced to re-join the union. Flying the confederate flag on any public or government soil should be wrong just by showing support for a traitor nation.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,425,858 times
The Confederate Flag is a symbol of a group of people who fought for slavery and for "Southern Values" which were nothing more than wealthy white people sitting around, drinking mint juleps while poor whites and enslaved blacks toiled in the field or the home.

------------

Typical Marxist explanation of history (Dialectical materialism). I hope they are not teaching that crap at HS.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-27-2009 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,288,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Your opinion.

Quote:
Most people that fly the Confederate Battle Flag are doing it only to get under the skin of minorities and people that don't like rednecks. Most are just tempting people to start a fight with them.
How nice for you that you can read what's in people's heards and minds. I thought only God had that ability.

Quote:
The confederate flag represents a rouge, traitor nation to the United States and they were defeated in war and forced to re-join the union. Flying the confederate flag on any public or government soil should be wrong just by showing support for a traitor nation.
Actually I think it was the Federal government that was tratorous to the intent of the constitution and the 10th ammendment. The federal government has usurped the rights of state governments in many areas and it started with the policies enacted around the time of the civel war.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,282,888 times
It's just a flag....

Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,425,858 times
BCreass

You are right.
Here thugs, SKINS and Castillian Rednecks use the Spanish flag, are you going to ban the Spanish flag just for that?
By the way, the Dixie flag is all around everywhere in the world.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,709,214 times
I'm with Ryan on saying that it's a lot more appropriate and sensitive to all parties to move away from the battle flag (which has been co-opted by too many hate groups) to the perfectly nice and historical stars and bars flag.

Pensacola calls itself "The City of Five Flags" and they've used the stars and bars instead of the battle flag for the representation of the Confederacy era for years.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:

What's funny to me is all the inbreds out there that claim it's their " southern heritage " and it's their "history, not hate" blah blah blah, If that's the case and they're just being proud of their history, Why don't they fly this flag ?

THAT was the official flag of the Southern Confederate States, Most people that fly the Confederate Battle Flag are doing it only to get under the skin of minorities and people that don't like rednecks. Most are just tempting people to start a fight with them.
How can a flag of a former country be a copyright violation ? Is it a copyright violation to post a picture of an American Flag ?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 AM

578 posts, read 1,770,395 times
Actually when it all boils down it will be an issue over free speech. The rights of some to have it vs the people who are not allowed to have it because it does not conform with others ideas and ideals. The Cuban flag for example could be considered a symbol of hate because it is Castro's flag. Same with Venezuela. The American flag is seen as a hate symbol in many countries.

Here in America we have the right to choose whether we want to support things like NASCAR or Veterans parades. Both organizations do not sponsor these types of displayes yet they are being targeted by the NAACP as if they do. I tried the same argument with Home Cheapo on Kendall about the fact that you have to run the gauntlet of illegals hassleing you for work when you go to the store.

It is not that I am against the illegals (they are slaves of the system) Home Cheapo has a responsibilitiy to discourage this activity. Their stance is that since they do not own the parking lot they are not responsible. Well if their store (which is the corner stone of the center) told the owners they were going to move out if something was not done it would go away over night. Homestead and NASCAR are in a simliar situation. Both are private property where free speech can be regulated.

In a way I kind of support the NAACP's goal however since they do not regularly attend these events anyway so they lose a lot of credibility when they bring these issues up. NASCAR is an event that was started by these flag wavers so they have to be carefull not to alienate their fans. If they do they go out of business which I suspect is the real goal of the NAACP.

Either way it is good we have a Constitution that protects both sides.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,040,049 times
That flag has a connotation of hate, it doesn't matter the history, what matters is the connotation.

Yes and it would be extremely offensive to wear a Che Guevara shirt in Miami. Again it doesn't matter what Che Guevara's or Lenin's intentions were, they represent ideas of repression and mass murder. You can choose to do whatever you want, but that still makes you a nasty person if you don't care for other people's feelings.

Just don't let your hate for liberals cloud your mind. This is not a liberal/conservative issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami