Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:16 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times

Advertisements

wonderful post chelito

id go without ac and adapt if i didnt have to switch back and forth between ac and no ac going to work and if i could wear aloha shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 PM

201 posts, read 983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
No one is denying Miami's superficial beauty or lack of cold weather...but for these one-sided positive posts about how Miami is paradise because it is not 25 degrees here and you can live outside all year...give me a break!

These heat lovers would never dare go a day here without air conditioning....so I don't know how great the weather is if you have to be in a climate controled envirnoment for 9 months of the year to not have a heatstroke. It sounds like trading one problem for another.

Miami does have its positives, but its problems are much more widespread and severe than other American cities. The problems here affect the lower and middle class, whereas in other cities the problems of gangs, crime, llegals and vandalism are limited to certain areas and generally don't affect the middle class to the extent they do here. That is what really gets to people.

There are some posters who are not from Miami, who are visitors, are ex- visitors, or have only lived here for a few years. Generally, their perception is skwewed and biased. They plain old don't know, or are still in the honeymoon phase. Others choose to ignore reality.

The lifelong residents tell a different story. There is no denying the middle class exodus out of the region. These are not negative or bashing people as some like to believe. The thing is, you get to a point when you realize that a palm tree doesn't equal happiness. What good is 80 degrees in January if there is no sense of community or anyplace to enjoy the weather outdoors, due to lack of parks and open space and then the risk of crime in the few parks? Should diversity mean putting up with gangster wannabes who unfortunately are now mainstream examples of the youth here? I know many people are "seduced" by the positives, but eventually, unless you are rich and cocooned in an ivory tower, you will understand these "negative" posts.

To all of the realtors, tourists, wannabe residents and newcommers, realize that you will gain perspective after having lived here for 5 years. You will also start to feel empathy for the middle class and people with families at that point.

Miami is great for vacations, parties and clubbing marathons. It is not a family place. There aren't many family or middle class areas left. It is this way becuase yes, there are many people who want to live here. It is an immigrant gateway...but it is also a magnet for dysfunctional people as well (not attacking anyone here, but the mentally ill, as noted by the high number of homeless with mental problems here comapred to other cities). Many new arrivals who do not fall into the previous category put warm weather and beaches as a priority in life. Nothing else really matters. That is fine, no judgement, but to think that those qualities make up for all of the negatives that will directly lower the daily quality of life for the majority is misguided.

In short, to each his own...but why deny the truth if the writing is on the wall? Many people use these forums for information from real people. On the Miami forum, it reads like a tourist guide book. Many of those positive posts have accurate information, but the average person researching on these forums is not wealthy enough to be able to buy a 5 bed 3 bath in Pinecrest if they are coming from Ohio. Anyways, it is a trade off, but people have a right to know what they are getting into without having the image of life in South Florida being air brushed.
Good honest post and with a few exceptions I happen to agree with much of what you say . I do travel extensively and maybe my perceptions of many other U.S cities is different from many posters here . I see the rap , ghetto , wannabe , cynical hip hop culture invading every city in this country , I have seen nasty drivers and road rage in very major city I have been too ... don't get me started on Los Angeles and Atlanta .. I have seen poverty and third world attitudes everywhere . The MTV culture has taken over our cities , not just Miami .

Miami has many , many negatives but spend some time on the Los Angeles , Phoenix or Orlando forums and you will see many of the same negative topics over and over again .

Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnnino View Post
doggiebus ...cmon man I don't think slybrook is implying that Miami is the best place in the world ... far from that , he just happens to like it and does not think it is the hellhole that you and others claim that it is .

There are not many places in the world nicer than the San Diego , it is beautiful been there many times .. tell you what though our beaches in Florida beat California beaches hands down . I will take our Atlantic or Gulf waters over the murky , brown , freezing waters of California beaches . Can't beat our sunsets either .

Does California have nicer topography , and weather of course ... no one is denying that . ... but I will put up Pine Crest , Coral Gables , Gables Estates , Key Biscayne and the Brickell area against any of the nicer areas of Los Angeles

By the way San Diego beats Los Angeles hands down . You just hate it here and nothing wil change that .
I agree San Diego is much prettier than LA. But some of you, like yourself make it seem like you believe there is no better place than Miami or Miami is just as great as any other big city, which it is not. I just wanted to point out that there are better places in this country that may have similiar issues like Miami, but they have much more to offer someone, like perfect weather year round (which Miami doesn't have).

You can put any of our nice areas against any of Californias nice areas, hands down Miami will lose. La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Diablo, Ross, Laguna Nigiel you name it they will beat the beauty of any place in South Florida.

I agree California isn't a beach place, Florida does have better beaches, I don't care about getting in the water, looking at is all I need. The beauty of the water hitting the cliffs and the kelp beds are just breath taking. Or the fact you could be skiing in the morning and surfing in the evening is pretty cool.

Denver, yes has its issues but no worse than Miami. The beauty of the Mountains, and the seasons make up for anything. BTW, Denver gets more sunny days than Miami does. I have never denied that these places don't have issues, but they have many more pluses IMO, than Miami will ever have. BTW, I have been to Denver many times, I was just out there this year for opening ski season weekend and might be back out there this summer for a month to get away from the Florida heat.

BTW, I don't hate Miami (my hometown) you can't put that label on me (you however are the one that isn't telling the full truth to people), I just think there are BETTER places to live.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-28-2007 at 07:09 AM..

Old 04-28-2007, 07:05 AM

Chilito - Great post, I hope that those reading these forums looking for the real truth have the chance to read your last post.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I agree San Diego is much prettier than LA. But some of you, like yourself make it seem like you believe there is no better place than Miami or Miami is just as great as any other big city, which it is not. I just wanted to point out that there are better places in this country that may have similiar issues like Miami, but they have much more to offer someone, like perfect weather year round (which Miami doesn't have).

You can put any of our nice areas against any of Californias nice areas, hands down Miami will lose. La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Diablo, Ross, Laguna Nigiel you name it they will beat the beauty of any place in South Florida.

I agree California isn't a beach place, Florida does have better beaches, I don't care about getting in the water, looking at is all I need. The beauty of the water hitting the cliffs and the kelp beds are just breath taking. Or the fact you could be skiing in the morning and surfing in the evening is pretty cool.

Denver, yes has its issues but no worse than Miami. The beauty of the Mountains, and the seasons make up for anything. BTW, Denver gets more sunny days than Miami does. I have never denied that these places don't have issues, but they have many more pluses IMO, than Miami will ever have. BTW, I have been to Denver many times, I was just out there this year for opening ski season weekend and might be back out there this summer for a month to get away from the Florida heat.

BTW, I don't hate Miami (my hometown) you can't put that label on me (you however are the one that isn't telling the full truth to people), I just think there are BETTER places to live.

"I am not telling the full truth to people " c'mon doggiebus , have you been reading my posts over the last few months ?

I have posted about the negatives many , many times and there are many in South Florida and especially Miami ... the ghetto culture that permeates in our local youth , regardless of class .. in Miami it is class not race since most people are Hispanic ... I despise the reggaeton , hip hop , ghetto influence that is so prevalent here , as well I have always criticized the lack of assimilation by some Hispanics and the lack of civility by many people down here . It especially hurts me as I born down here and remember Miami
when it was much more civil and a friendlier place . Of course there are better places to live than Miami , both in Florida and outside of Florida .... I have never implied Miami was a paradise .... just do not think Dade County is the hell hole a few here make it out to be .

Now that said , is this a great place to have a good time , party , enjoy boating , the beaches , see some beautiful scenery , including the females of our species .... heck yeah !!

Is Miami the best place to raise a family , educate your kids , enjoy the arts and cultural offerings .... no we all know there are much better options elsewhere in the country ..... Boston , Seattle , NYC , San Francisco , Austin and others have Miami beat hands down in those catagories

But I love the weather down here ... give me heat and humidity over cold and gray any day . Again it is a matter of personal preference as my family , friends and I enjoy the beaches and boating .

Will having some extra spendable income in order to enjoy the above be important ..... unfortunately yeah .... but try having a good time in Los Angeles or Denver with out a pot to pee in , you will not have much fun either . I love California by the way and it has been blessed with more natural beauty than any other state in our country ... Colorado included , but cities like Los Angeles have much of the same problems and ghetto culture that Miami has . I have been to Denver twice and thought it sucked ... brutal winters , high altitudes and smog make breathing a chore ... and getting mugged by a couple of Suge Knight clones one night near the Denver Pavillions ... does not a good impression make

I don't know how you can say that I maintain there is no better place than Miami ... I have never , never expressed that . The problem on this forum is that many posters interchange Miami and South Florida ( Monroe to Martin County ) at their whims . I differentiate between Miami and the rest of South Florida and I include the Naples area , which still have great places to live and play . My problem is when persons on this forum conveniently interchange Miami and the rest of South Florida when it suits them . As a native to the area I would hope you would understand my point ?

Last edited by jjnnino; 04-28-2007 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Peace, dude!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:47 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
I love Martin County

Old 04-28-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Peace, dude!
And peace be to you ... my brother

Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 AM

158 posts, read 647,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnnino View Post
"I am not telling the full truth to people " c'mon doggiebus , have you been reading my posts over the last few months ?

I have posted about the negatives many , many times and there are many in South Florida and especially Miami ... the ghetto culture that permeates in our local youth , regardless of class .. in Miami it is class not race since most people are Hispanic ... I despise the reggaeton , hip hop , ghetto influence that is so prevalent here , as well I have always criticized the lack of assimilation by some Hispanics and the lack of civility by many people down here . It especially hurts me as I born down here and remember Miami
when it was much more civil and a friendlier place . Of course there are better places to live than Miami , both in Florida and outside of Florida .... I have never implied Miami was a paradise .... just do not think Dade County is the hell hole a few here make it out to be .

Now that said , is this a great place to have a good time , party , enjoy boating , the beaches , see some beautiful scenery , including the females of our species .... heck yeah !!

Is Miami the best place to raise a family , educate your kids , enjoy the arts and cultural offerings .... no we all know there are much better options elsewhere in the country ..... Boston , Seattle , NYC , San Francisco , Austin and others have Miami beat hands down in those catagories

But I love the weather down here ... give me heat and humidity over cold and gray any day . Again it is a matter of personal preference as my family , friends and I enjoy the beaches and boating .

Will having some extra spendable income in order to enjoy the above be important ..... unfortunately yeah .... but try having a good time in Los Angeles or Denver with out a pot to pee in , you will not have much fun either . I love California by the way and it has been blessed with more natural beauty than any other state in our country ... Colorado included , but cities like Los Angeles have much of the same problems and ghetto culture that Miami has . I have been to Denver twice and thought it sucked ... brutal winters , high altitudes and smog make breathing a chore ... and getting mugged by a couple of Suge Knight clones one night near the Denver Pavillions ... does not a good impression make

I don't know how you can say that I maintain there is no better place than Miami ... I have never , never expressed that . The problem on this forum is that many posters interchange Miami and South Florida ( Monroe to Martin County ) at their whims . I differentiate between Miami and the rest of South Florida and I include the Naples area , which still have great places to live and play . My problem is when persons on this forum conveniently interchange Miami and the rest of South Florida when it suits them . As a native to the area I would hope you would understand my point ?
Excellent Post
I agree with most of your statements except the one about the family, kids and cultural statement sayin Miami is'nt good for that. I think Miami is a great place to raise a family, the weather, parks, and schools make it great, a couple of magazines have ranked Miami as one of the top ten places to raise a family. The arts is a big and fastly growing part of this city, with the great concerts, shows, some good museums and a huge amount of art galleries and the biggest and best art festival in the western hemisphere.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:31 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Places you mention all have terrible traffic. The scenery is pretty but Pacific really isn't very warm--it's bad for swimming. Also, you often have to dress in layers in California, which is annoying, especially since it gets so cold at night. California is nice but not my first choice for a fun vacation.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami