Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:53 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,415,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Places you mention all have terrible traffic. The scenery is pretty but Pacific really isn't very warm--it's bad for swimming. Also, you often have to dress in layers in California, which is annoying, especially since it gets so cold at night. California is nice but not my first choice for a fun vacation.
I know these places have traffic (any major city is going to have traffic issues of some sort) just like Miami has terrible traffic, but I am willing to deal with traffic out in California or Seattle or where ever because in my opinion, California for example is a much prettier state overall and has more to offer me. I don't care about the cold or warm ocean waters, I don't go swimming in the ocean, sitting on a cliff overlooking the water crashing against the rocks below, and the kelp beds swaying in the water currents in the Big Sur is much more beautiful than any beach in Florida.

Now Miami may have everything that you need, and there is nothing wrong with that, I am just looking for something better than Miami, IMO. Everyones level of what is perfect is different, one guy may think his Seiko watch is the best watch ever, but tell that to the next guy wearing the Rolex he thinks he has the best watch. So it is all a preference and idea of what is perfect to an individual. BTW, I love dressing in layers, I hated that this winter in Miami I couldn't layer it just was to warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

36 posts, read 111,049 times
4 days in Miami and he is SOLD! I wonder why then 20,000 more people leave Miami each year than move in--they must be crazy I guess. Hope this poster's spanish is good, and that he has PLENTY saved up for what he will be paying in rent & car insurance. I also hope he likes to sit in traffic several hours a day to go 5 miles. Miami has the 2nd worst school system in the US, most people with a job don't send their kids to the public schools (me included). GOOD LUCK! You will be very, very sorry in a very short time.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 PM

158 posts, read 646,408 times
Miami does not have the second worst school system in the US!
Miami has got some of the best schools in the country, it might not be the best but its far from the worst out of the whole US!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 44,132 times
Wow, there's a lot of truth, bitterness & optimism wrapped up in this thread, along with a few others that I have read.

Although I'm a native Californian, I did live in Miami Lakes for 4 years in the '90s. My wife & I really enjoyed the lifestyle and the people in South Florida. In fact, if there were an opportunity for us to move back, we'd most likely take it.

There have been some good points raised on both sides, but having lived in the LA area for 35 years, I can say that it's definitely not the place people make it out to be, either. Yes, we have some very nice neighborhoods, weather and scenery, but you definitely have to pay for it. Has anyone seen the median price for a home in these areas - South Bay, Orange County, West LA, etc.? How about the gas & food? Premium gas is $3.78 here, and grocery shopping is more than it was for us in South Florida. Also, the attitude in LA, generally speaking, is not that friendly, either. Moreover, the traffic here, which can really impedes one's lifestyle, is not only bad during normal traffic hours, but it's also bad over the weekends, too. There are a lot of people that are trying to get out of here just the same as some of the people in Miami trying to get out of there. I think you'll find this in every city.

I think the bottom line is for people to live where their lifestyle matches their environment (if they can afford it, that is). For us, we love the warm weather & the beaches that South Florida has to offer. Plus, we still have a lot of family & friends that live down there, so that would be a big incentive for us to move back.

Cheers, everyone.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBA View Post
There are a lot of people that are trying to get out of here just the same as some of the people in Miami trying to get out of there. I think you'll find this in every city.
As I looked in the LA forum, I came across this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-southern.html

Old 05-02-2007, 10:37 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,415,276 times
The thing with LA, the prices of mostly everything are higher than Miami, yes, but the wages in LA are also higher than Miami's wages.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The thing with LA, the prices of mostly everything are higher than Miami, yes, but the wages in LA are also higher than Miami's wages.
That is quite true, doggiebus, but in many cases it's no where near enough to make up the gap. As an example, with two of the former companies that I worked for the pay differential between LA & Miami was between 5 - 10%. Also, the difference between the states' minimum wage is only 83 cents an hour ($7.50 for Cal vs $6.67 for Fla).

Cheers.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,173,218 times
My first venture into the Miami forum- wow, why don't these guys just move? They drain the oxygen out of the room.

Love your post. I am from south Florida and really miss it. (Moved to be near family when I lost my husband.) I think that, for the most part we find what we are looking for in life. And when people aren't successful, they look for excuses. They choose to be victims, blaming their unhappiness on everything other than themselves. And then trying to bring everyone else down to their loser level. Must suck to be them.

Enjoy your new life down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
I just got back from my (extended) visit--
and this time I forgot my rose colored glassed at home, horror of horrors.
First stop was a computer store in Kendall. I went in to purchase a hard drive but the salesperson took one look at it and told me that this was not the problem. Not only did he fix windows for me but I was not charged for it and they were extremely helpful and friendly.
Did I mention that everyone spoke english

Next stop was at the realtor's to look for an apartment. Alas, she was not bilingual.
We went looking in the palmetto bay area and by appointment, was invited in by a couple to look at their home. I learned that the husband was in fact trilingual but when he mentioned that Hebrew and German were his second and third languages, I was surprised.
By this point I was getting desperate.
Not only had I encountered english everywhere, no one was speaking to me in Spanish.
And adding to that was the fact was I did not encounter one rude person in several days
How was I going to explain this to the forum
Would anyone beleive me

Our next appointment was cancelled and the person actually brushed us off.
Even though we had a previous appointment with him, he claimed we got out time wrong and would not let us in. He was pretty rude and blunt
I was so grateful, I almost thanked him.

And so on with the car rental, the hotel and the restaruants, shopping etc etc
Ok, granted that living is different from visiting, but how much so.
I would still go to the same restaurants, car dealerships, shopping areas and encounter pretty much the same people.

Or does my plane pass thru a warp each time I fly and lands in a miami that is in a parallel universe

Whatever the explanation, I would like to state on record that I have officially been there, done that. And Miami is the same as any big city in the USA, latin culture notwithstanding.

And I lived to tell the tale, a tale of two cities--

Old 05-04-2007, 12:44 AM

38 posts, read 138,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnnino View Post
Miami Vice is being right on with his / her post ... I agree with it totally

I love the "semi- Miami " basher label .... I would say that I am probably one myself !!!
Yes but being a semi-basher is somewhat more grounded and close to the truth.
Sure, the problems exist. The issue is:
1. To what degree
2. To what degree they exist in comparison to cities of similar size
3. To what degree the Miami problems they are being exaggerated by those on this board.

Look through the board and you'll see mostly the same people writing the same things over and over.

That being said I live about 40 miles north in Boca Raton. I lived in Miami beach for 6 months. The only bad thing was that we lived next to a really cool after hours club and everyone came banging on our door to go party.
I had to work!

I recently renovated my condo. The people doing the work were from Miami.
They spoke only Spanish. My Spanish is terrible but we got along. Sign language, a little translation on altavista.com.....we made it and they did a fabulous job for half the price. I remembered all the Spanish I had forgotten and they learned some English.

A lot is what you make it. I have repeatedly (and perhaps wrongly) called the continuous Miami bashers idiots and morons for not moving and for writing the same things over and over and over and over...........

There is crime, some are superficial and Spanish is a bit of an "issue" It is very useful to have some command of Spanish while in Miami. The housing costs are rather high too (which makes you wonder why the bashers haven't sold and moved)

As I have said many times before there is nothing MORE wrong with Miami than there is with NY or Chicago or any other big and famous city.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 AM

566 posts, read 2,055,574 times
I have a family member whom retired from teaching in N.Y. , and bought one of those new condo's springing up on Coral Way and she's extremely happy. She's got her "N.Y. pension" now; also, got a part time teaching job here that she simply adores.
She says the same thing...that compared to the school where she worked she feels like she's in heaven - she said the whole scenario up there compared to here is like comparing apples and oranges - at least in her case. I think it's all relative...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami