Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,286,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Boston is a nice city. Just make sure to there in the winter for a few days to see what it's like then.
I come from a very cold place, so it wouldn't be a problem. In fact, as weird as it may sound, I actually enjoy the cold and loathe constant heat and humidity.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,525,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Boston is a nice city. Just make sure to there in the winter for a few days to see what it's like then.
boston sure is nice. I lived in massachusetts for about a year. I lived in southie for about a month, then stayed with some friends on nahant before settling in for the long haul on white horse beach in manomet. I really enjoyed the whole NE thing but frankly the winters were far too cold. also it didn't help that I was there for the 1978 blizzard. my favorite thing was cruising 3A in my brand new 1979 5.0 pony which I bought in sep 1978.

of course that was before I realized people like me needed to be in a donk with 22's

Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 908,522 times
This thread goes all over the place (how did we get to trash Paris's skyline?) but I will make comments useful and unbiased for the OP.

After reading your post, it feels very similar to the old "trap" of falling for the romantic notion of a place. Boston is charming and romantic and exciting. But it is a very difficult city to live in, and I don't think you saw enough or know enough to move there or consider a move there.

--Marblehead is very exclusive and very summer touristy. It used to be a year-round place back in the 60s/70s but apartments were converted to summer condos (in the 80s?). If Marblehead is on your list you absolutely need to visit there in the winter. Can you drive around those very narrow streets? Will you enjoy running errands in Marblehead--grocery shopping is tough there. Stowaway Sweets is "wicked" good though.

-I would consider Salem, actually, if you like the North Shore area. It's near Marblehead, commuteable to Boston.

-Your comments about Boston and driving/drivers are grossly unrepresentative. You need to really give yourself more time and more exposure. Boston car insurance was the highest I've ever paid, the traffic has been the most brutal I've had to deal with (worse than LA and SD). Make sure you drive Rt 128 and Rt 3.

-Winter weather is a bit unpredictable. WHen I lived in Boston, the weather people (Mish Michaels---the hottie) were sometimes "wicked wrong" with how many inches would be dumped. Sometimes they predicted a return of the Blizzard of '78 when in fact only 5 inches would drop, other times they'd say less than 6 and it would be 9-18. The snow isn't the worst part of Boston winters it's the ~~W I N D C H I L L~~ subzero temps are the norm! That was what got to me in the end.

-If you have issues with Hispanics (and I haven't read this entire thread) than you probably should avoid the Mass Transit T. The T is very useful but it's multi-cultural and Hip Hop culture is popular on the T. If you have an issue with that...well, good luck to you. It's not a problem for me. I found the T to be a great morning commute option but tough commuting at the end of the day when everyone's grumpy and tired.

Boston is expensive, but sales tax was cheap. Property taxes are the big issue there. There is so much culture and tradition in Boston that I never cared about the expensive side. What was annoying to me was when my Aunt lived in Milton, MA, everyone there had to pay $3 a sticker to put a sticker on every bag of trash to be picked up. That was a tremendous hassle. Make sure you don't move to a community that has this kind of trash sticker pickup system....

Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
This thread goes all over the place (how did we get to trash Paris's skyline?) but I will make comments useful and unbiased for the OP.

After reading your post, it feels very similar to the old "trap" of falling for the romantic notion of a place. Boston is charming and romantic and exciting. But it is a very difficult city to live in, and I don't think you saw enough or know enough to move there or consider a move there.

--Marblehead is very exclusive and very summer touristy. It used to be a year-round place back in the 60s/70s but apartments were converted to summer condos (in the 80s?). If Marblehead is on your list you absolutely need to visit there in the winter. Can you drive around those very narrow streets? Will you enjoy running errands in Marblehead--grocery shopping is tough there. Stowaway Sweets is "wicked" good though.

-I would consider Salem, actually, if you like the North Shore area. It's near Marblehead, commuteable to Boston.

-Your comments about Boston and driving/drivers are grossly unrepresentative. You need to really give yourself more time and more exposure. Boston car insurance was the highest I've ever paid, the traffic has been the most brutal I've had to deal with (worse than LA and SD). Make sure you drive Rt 128 and Rt 3.

-Winter weather is a bit unpredictable. WHen I lived in Boston, the weather people (Mish Michaels---the hottie) were sometimes "wicked wrong" with how many inches would be dumped. Sometimes they predicted a return of the Blizzard of '78 when in fact only 5 inches would drop, other times they'd say less than 6 and it would be 9-18. The snow isn't the worst part of Boston winters it's the ~~W I N D C H I L L~~ subzero temps are the norm! That was what got to me in the end.

-If you have issues with Hispanics (and I haven't read this entire thread) than you probably should avoid the Mass Transit T. The T is very useful but it's multi-cultural and Hip Hop culture is popular on the T. If you have an issue with that...well, good luck to you. It's not a problem for me. I found the T to be a great morning commute option but tough commuting at the end of the day when everyone's grumpy and tired.

Boston is expensive, but sales tax was cheap. Property taxes are the big issue there. There is so much culture and tradition in Boston that I never cared about the expensive side. What was annoying to me was when my Aunt lived in Milton, MA, everyone there had to pay $3 a sticker to put a sticker on every bag of trash to be picked up. That was a tremendous hassle. Make sure you don't move to a community that has this kind of trash sticker pickup system....
Thank you for your advice....which is along the lines of "nowhere is perfect and every place has its flaws". I agree with you there -- but I'm not looking for perfection, or greener grass. The fact is that I have always liked New England, the good, the bad and the ugly. I agree that driving in Boston is a pretty "hairy" experience, but I wouldn't drive -- I'd commute via train and walk more.

The beauty of the United States is that we live in such a huge and diverse country. A move to New England from Florida (and vice-versa) is almost like moving to another country, but without the language barriers and no need for a passport of a work permit. The United States is so huge and so diverse that there's something for everyone. The European Union is great, but if someone in England wants to move to Italy for a change of scene, they'd have to learn Italian to the point of fluency.

I would choose to live up there (cold, taxes and all), but I'd always come back to Florida for a vacation and a bit of sun. Florida is a great state, but it's just not for me.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
Oh my God. I have a hard time believing the postings on this sight. I was raised in Miami and watched her go through the many cultural and economic changes over the years. From 1959 on. I have also had to live in the Northeast. Contrary to popular belief "God" does not live in Boston. The people in that city and surrounding areas are awful. They talk about "ALL" southerners with disdain and ignorance. Miami is a vibrant international city, always has been unique in every way. If you are afraid to break out of the New England or Northerner mold of pretentiousness and superior attitudes, stay the hell home. As for me. I prefer a little Salsa in my life. Miami is all about color and life and youthful exhuberance. Break out of the shell experience all that Miami can be. Stop hating and start living..yes Virginia there are other cultures than yours. Learn about them. Or just go back to HAAVAAD Yaad and drink the Kool Aid.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,427,762 times
The European Union is great, but if someone in England wants to move to Italy for a change of scene, they'd have to learn Italian to the point of fluency.
----------

English learning Italian? They are incapable, not enough neurones after all that beer. They can live during 50 years in Italy and only learn two words: Birra and capuccino.

The most obtuse people when it comes to languages, European hicks.

You don't need languages here, just money.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,294,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post

You don't need languages here, just money.
I think that's true pretty much everywhere.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM

46 posts, read 180,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
It really depends on the city. For example, Frankfurt's skyscrapers look great, but they look out of place in other cities. There's nothing wrong with building up, as long as it's done tastefully. For example, in London they have 2 skylines now, but most of the new skyscrapers are built in a designated area called Canary Wharf. It's pretty impressive, considering how run down that area was pre-1990.

Some cities blend old and new very well. I was in Boston a couple of days ago and loved how they blend new skyscrapers with older buildings.
Canary Wharf and the like ruined the East End of London. Uprooted working class people who have lived there for five generatons to build skyscrapers, luxury housing and tourist areas. Sad to say, it makes me think of the developers who want to (and will) do the same to Miami. It won't be long.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by east215 View Post
Canary Wharf and the like ruined the East End of London. Uprooted working class people who have lived there for five generatons to build skyscrapers, luxury housing and tourist areas. Sad to say, it makes me think of the developers who want to (and will) do the same to Miami. It won't be long.
I disagree -- Canary Wharf has helped dragged London (kicking and screaming) into the 21st century. There are so many restrictions when it comes to building skyscrapers in the city itself...Canary Wharf is an easier place to build and is helping to give London the world class skyline that is deserves (and needs).

Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,415,276 times
Thread Closed because this thread is all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami