Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,427,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
The only person I would recommend Miami to is:

1. someone who speaks Spanish & English fluently (no matter what race)
2. someone single w/ minimal debt earning an income of at LEAST $80K (so that they can afford a house 3 times their income) This should be enough to keep them living in a decent area. Of course more $ for a family.
3. someone who already has family & friends living here
4. someone NOT from any of the other Southern states

And all these must be the same person.
----------------

Nikki

I would add that this person should not be a liberal, even less a West Coast liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
I just told you that 35 years ago Miami was in a far worser condition than now.
The fact that you have been living there many years doesn't mean a thing.
You don't even speak the language of the land.
Doesn't matter what you tell me or anyone else.

You don't live in Miami now.

You lived here only briefly in the past.

You don't know what you are talking about....

As for the language of the land, how do you know what languages I speak?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
Lets stay on topic please.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM

139 posts, read 313,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
A lot of people come to this forum saying they are thinking about moving to Miami. They tell us a little about themselves and they we say come or don't come. I'm just wondering what sort of people you all think should come here and which ones should not bother. From the list below tell me which ones you would suggest come to Miami

1 young, single person looking to start a career (career unspecificied for this example)
2 young married couple looking to raise a family.
3 Middle-aged person ( or couple) that may be able to transfer their job down to Miami)
4 Older couple, retired.

For your answers indicate if you would change your suggestion based on if the person spoke Spanish or not or if a minimum level of income would be needed. I think it tells a lot about the potential future of the city based on who we think would do well here and who should stay away.

I would say a young single person who has a professional background (white collar jobs) or a college degree that will get them in the door to a professional job. Miami is already filled with people who can fill blue collar jobs, i.e. waiters/bartenders, hospitality industry, etc. When I had moved to Miami, I had no problems finding a job (I'm a paralegal)--I found work within a week at one of Miami's largest law firms. I was told Miami is lacking in "good help"--i.e. educated people who can write, speak, etc a grammatically correct sentence in English. The minimum income of a single person moving down there, I'd say 40k.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM

552 posts, read 589,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2Mia2Atl View Post
I would say a young single person who has a professional background (white collar jobs) or a college degree that will get them in the door to a professional job. Miami is already filled with people who can fill blue collar jobs, i.e. waiters/bartenders, hospitality industry, etc. When I had moved to Miami, I had no problems finding a job (I'm a paralegal)--I found work within a week at one of Miami's largest law firms. I was told Miami is lacking in "good help"--i.e. educated people who can write, speak, etc a grammatically correct sentence in English. The minimum income of a single person moving down there, I'd say 40k.
Wow, that's always good to hear, lol. Not like I am suprised though.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 908,422 times
In the late 30s--Ernest Hemingway put a beatdown on Wallace Stevens on a pier in the Keys. I think Papa loved Florida and if he read all these hater locals in this thread he'd be tuning up his fists one more time....

Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
The only person I would recommend Miami to is:

1. someone who speaks Spanish & English fluently (no matter what race)
2. someone single w/ minimal debt earning an income of at LEAST $80K (so that they can afford a house 3 times their income) This should be enough to keep them living in a decent area. Of course more $ for a family.
3. someone who already has family & friends living here
4. someone NOT from any of the other Southern states

And all these must be the same person.

Nikki

I agree with you.
Could you abound on your fourth point?
Really, I read the tirades of people that I assume to be from the South complaining about the stupidest things on earth:

1. Careless driving
2. Manners
3. Other languages and culture
4. Shingles
5. Hot weather
6. Not finding a job because the Market does not needs your skills and you don't know Spanish
7. Describing tourists and foreigners with money as "sinners" with "funny money" (I guess that comes from their Baptist religion)
8. Lacks of woods, trees and animal life

Etc.

They complain about things present in any International City in the Western World.

They remind me of the HOLYWOOD HILLBILIES.
They should produce the MIAMI HILLBILLIES instead of CSI-MIAMI.

I guess that most of those people are from Southern States.

What's your opinion?

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-05-2009 at 01:46 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM

259 posts, read 838,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post

Nikki

I agree with you.
Could you abound on your fourth point?
Really, I read the tirades of people that I assume to be from the South complaining about the stupidest things on earth:

1. Careless driving
2. Manners
3. Other languages and culture
4. Shingles
5. Hot weather
6. Not finding a job because the Market does not needs your skills and you don't know Spanish
7. Describing tourists and foreigners with money as "sinners" with "funny money" (I guess that comes from their Baptist religion)
8. Lacks of woods, trees and animal life

Etc.

They complain about things present in any International City in the Western World.

They remind me of the HOLYWOOD HILLBILIES.
They should produce the MIAMI HILLBILLIES instead of CSI-MIAMI.

I guess that most of those people are from Southern States.

What's your opinion?
LOL Sure! I pretty much agree with much of what you've already described. However I don't necessarily see being a "typical" Southerner really as much of a bad thing. Especially a progressive Southerner. (After all, I didn't realize that I was somewhat of one in a hospitality sense until I moved down here...Then again I found out a lot of things about myself after I moved down here. LOL)
Anyway, one of the biggest reasons I say that anyone coming from any of the other southern states wouldn't enjoy it here is because of the cost of living. When you are used to paying $600-$850for a 1bd apt and STILL living in a safe community then you will be in for a big surprise in S. Florida! Also, if you grew up around people that actually look you in the eye and say hello when walking/jogging on a street even in a large city, then that will be the second disappointment down here. IMO those simple little things can start the development of long-term neighborly-type friendships. I can barely get that at some local grocery stores or restaurants where they are paid & trained to do that. LOL Even when I say Hi first. Also, they can just forget about finding any authentic soul food/bbq joints just around the corner from your house, theres no sweet tea , get used panic attacks while on 95, and the oddest news stories they have ever heard that make you go WTF?!. (And I'm not naive to crime coming from Houston, I've just found the type of crimes committed are extremelly weird and they occur on the "good" side of town) Just those few things that people might not realize adds to their quality of life in the "real" South.
I didn't mean to bash all of Florida on those things as I feel that anything north of Orlando can give you the same vibe as most of the other southern cities. I also feel that South Florida does still have it's good/interesting points. But I also believe it can be much of a culture/people shock for most people from the South specifically moving to South Florida and the positives just will not outweigh the negatives (even if tiene mucho dinero)

Last edited by Nikki9947; 06-05-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 AM

259 posts, read 838,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2Mia2Atl View Post
I agree with this sentence and see it on a daily basis. I work and communicate with people (both Americans & foreigners) everyday that will butcher an email!! I'm definitely not perfect by any means but sometimes I wonder how these people get hired for these positions.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM

Nikki

Ok.
So southeners find that:

1. Miami is too expensive
2. People are not courteous
3. No BBQs
4. Bad traffic
5. They can't talk to people because people speak Spanish or simply don't care.

But do they really expect those thing in any large, international city?
They are not realistic, they should have known that Miami is not a southern city.
Do they expect such things in NY?
I find such an attitude extremely parochial, not from this century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami