Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,284,005 times

Advertisements

A lot of people come to this forum saying they are thinking about moving to Miami. They tell us a little about themselves and they we say come or don't come. I'm just wondering what sort of people you all think should come here and which ones should not bother. From the list below tell me which ones you would suggest come to Miami

1 young, single person looking to start a career (career unspecificied for this example)
2 young married couple looking to raise a family.
3 Middle-aged person ( or couple) that may be able to transfer their job down to Miami)
4 Older couple, retired.

For your answers indicate if you would change your suggestion based on if the person spoke Spanish or not or if a minimum level of income would be needed. I think it tells a lot about the potential future of the city based on who we think would do well here and who should stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM

552 posts, read 587,021 times
Honestly, I wouldnt advise anyone to move to Miami. That's real talk.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 906,197 times
If my category doesn't win this popularity contest, how much should I be prepared to bribe Miami CDF'ers to let me move?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,376,790 times
I personally wouldn't recommend Miami as a place to move too for most people in the U.S. (people from South, Central, the Caribbean Island I would recommend Miami), with that said...I think Miami can be a good place for a young person, single or married (no children), that wants to live in Miami for a few years. Personally, I really wouldn't recommend Miami to people with children, that is just my opinion, some will disagree with me.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,381,440 times
I don't live there personally, but I think it's good for people who want to live in a rental apartment or rent a condo. Owning down there you encounter an expensive insurance situation. The other things (diverse, hot weather, beaches) most people are aware of already.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I personally wouldn't recommend Miami as a place to move too for most people in the U.S. (people from South, Central, the Caribbean Island I would recommend Miami), with that said...I think Miami can be a good place for a young person, single or married (no children), that wants to live in Miami for a few years. Personally, I really wouldn't recommend Miami to people with children, that is just my opinion, some will disagree with me.
3rd World immigrants do just fine. Miami and its disaster schools are a big step up for them. Unfortunately for most middle class Americans who are not ingrained in the "South Florida immigrant culture", moving here with well raised children and enrolling them at one of Miami's "C", "D", or "F" schools would be a nightmare.

Also, "magnet" schools are a poor answer for a crummy school system. That is why only bad schools systems have them.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 PM

552 posts, read 587,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
3rd World immigrants do just fine. Miami and its disaster schools are a big step up for them. Unfortunately for most middle class Americans who are not ingrained in the "South Florida immigrant culture", moving here with well raised children and enrolling them at one of Miami's "C", "D", or "F" schools would be a nightmare.

Also, "magnet" schools are a poor answer for a crummy school system. That is why only bad schools systems have them.
I would not advise an American family to move to Miami.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,034,903 times
I would say #3 would be the best answer because at least they are moving for job reasons and if they do their research well, they should be able to find a good neighborhood with a good school. Then maybe #4 if they have a decent pension.

#1 I wouldn't, salaries are bad down here. #2, I think there are better and cheaper choices out there.

I would not advise any liberal from the NE or West Coast to move to Miami unless they are very open minded.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,761,267 times
I would suggest a 5th category - young, single person looking to party.

I vote #5.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,424,059 times
Miami is OK for all those that don't want to change a place that has been the same during the last half century.
Miami is not OK for all those that are constantly fleeing from someplace or blaming someone for their problems.
Miami is not OK for people that blame "places", "people", "traffic" and a environment that already existed when they came uninvited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami