Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,782 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm coming to Miami this summer to attend law school at Florida International (located at SW 8th street and 821). I'm debating living in either South Beach or Coral Gables, but am concerned about the commute to FIU each day. I realize that South Beach is a considerable distance to FIU, but since I'd be taking 836 West, is traffic managable? I'm assuming traffic would be worst taking 836 East into the city, but since I'd be heading west towards the outskirts, will I likely be stuck in traffic for hours? I really want to live on Miami Beach, but am concerned that I'd have to get up hours early because of traffic issues. Coral Gables is a good bit closer to FIU, but I've heard it gets quite congested too. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
The 836 going east is bad in the morning hours till about 10 am. Then starting at about 3-4 o'clock till like 7-8 o'clock the 836 West is bad all the way to the turnipike south which you then take for a short distance. As long as you schedule your classes to avoid the 836 in the morning and the evening you should be ok.

Going from the beach to FIU your best option is the 836, but from Coral Gables to FIU, its regular streets, in that area its always conjested, just so many people packed in the area...So both are going to be tough. But as long as you allow time then you will be fine.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info! Is the 836 west very congested in the morning (i.e. 8:00am-9:00am)?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
West is fine in the morning, except maybe just around the 826 north exit, but thats it.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Why not just live near FIU?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
good recommendation!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
When I visited FIU, I wasn't impressed with the area. There didn't seem to be much to do there and didn't seem like a "happening" area. I really like the South Beach area and can see myself spending a lot of time there...so I'd rather just live there and commute to class, rather than living near my classes and commuting everywhere the rest of the time.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
The neighborhood around FIU is ho-hum, but at least it's not dangerous! If you live on South Beach you will become an angry person in just one 16 week term! It will take at least 1 hour travel time, maybe two if there is an accident. You'll be on the wonderful Juila Tuttle causeway or the stunning airport expressway (836) enjoying the free flowing 2MPh traffic flow. Then off to the wonderful Turnpike or construction site 826. Do yourself a favor, concentrate on your education and go to south beach sparingly. I know a lot of people who became very messed up on that billion dollar sandbar. Parts of south beach are also very ghetto....seriously!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Talltick made some good points.

Also, when I went to FIU, there were always a handful of students who lived on the Beach. No surprise, they were the ones who always came late to class, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour...with horror stories of how the typical hour commute took 2. Totally upredictable. If you commute in the AM it might not be that bad though.

I would recommend Kendall as an alternative. The areas near FIU are limited...not too good apartment quality with Fontainebleau and Sweetwater, and there are only a handful of decent apartment complexes in Westchester. As Tallrick said, the area is safe overall, so you will pay dearly for that "safety". By saftey he means it is not ghetto, but there are still plenty of car robberies and break in to go around.

Coral Gables isn't a bad idea at all. I used to commute from Shenendoah (the other side of the Gables) to FIU at rush hour. I took the side streets. It sucked, but was doable. Coral Gables is prob. a good comprmise between the beach and FIU area.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:42 PM

113 posts, read 468,990 times
Um at the risk of getting a bunch of "Thanks Dad" comments....I wouldn't think living in SoBe would be the best educational environment for a demanding law degree.

Study?!?! Hey its Happy Hour down at Mango's!, final coming up? Whats that? $1.99 drinks down at the Clevelander!

This is your future we're talking about. You need to focus, work hard, and become they best lawyer you can possibly be.

Also you should not get involved with a girlfriend/boyfriend until you have achieved your goals professionally.

SoBe can be great place to visit/party, but I wouldn't want to live down there, parking is a nightmare, and there is a lot of crime. My brother lived on the Alton road side in down in SoBe.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami