Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

^^ Just for the record, that's for the City of Miami and not Miami-Dade County.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
^^ Just for the record, that's for the City of Miami and not Miami-Dade County.
That doesn't say much...

You only shave a few points off by switching to Dade Co. I think in Dade Co. it is 58.5% Speak Spanish at home... That's like a Texas border town!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
That doesn't say much...

You only shave a few points off by switching to Dade Co. I think in Dade Co. it is 58.5% Speak Spanish at home... That's like a Texas border town!
It sounds a bit high that 95% of "Hispanics" in Miami-Dade County speak Spanish at home. However, if that is the correct figure, there is an explanation: many English-speaking "Hispanic" households qualify as "Spanish speaking" because some Spanish is spoken at home. With that said, this doesn't indicate "third world" status or anything like that because if I had a child I would try to speak a mix of English and Spanish in the home so that s/he understood Spanish... everyone knows that children 100% of the time learn English and often resist learning Spanish... and Cuba libre, you should know by now that I am not "ghetto" or "third world."

Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Cuba Libre is Cuban, probably born in the US from the first wave.
Probably raised up North.
His family relocated in Miami and he's reacting to the city just as many other Americans or early Cubans do.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
First, Cuba libre is not Cuban; as far as I know, he is an American of "Anglo" origin. Second, he is not a dumb guy and it appears to me that he posts on this forum for fun and to get a rise out of everyone. I don't believe that he believes much of what he writes; he just uses hyperbole to get across his point that Miami is different and there are some ghetto people, some of which speak English poorly. I highly doubt Cuba libre is part of the Aryan Brotherhood or KKK or anything like that; my guess is that he writes what he does for laughs. I hope I'm not wrong!
I cannot believe you are defending this guy crisp. I think you are in denial. He spreads hate towards hispanics and blacks, and even if he didn't believe his stuff(which I highly doubt) other crazy people out there might believe his stuff. I don't know what is so funny about that. Maybe when it escalates to racial crimes it will stop being "witty" "funny" or whatever he thinks this is. Racism has to be the most disgusting thing on earth and it is not something to joke about, I don't care how articulate, funny or intelligent you are. It's disgusting PERIOD

Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
I cannot believe you are defending this guy crisp. I think you are in denial. He spreads hate towards hispanics and blacks, and even if he didn't believe his stuff(which I highly doubt) other crazy people out there might believe his stuff. I don't know what is so funny about that. Maybe when it escalates to racial crimes it will stop being "witty" "funny" or whatever he thinks this is. Racism has to be the most disgusting thing on earth and it is not something to joke about, I don't care how articulate, funny or intelligent you are. It's disgusting PERIOD
You are barking at statistics that don't lie, using your feminine emotion in place of where cold cut numbers belong regarding what actually exists. The facts are that we can't to give 'equal housing, pay, and education' to all the poor people in the Western hemisphere who float, swim, or crawl here. We would go broke. That is why when people come on this forum and ask for a decent place to live, I try my best to steer them away from the largest conglomorations of these poor people in Dade County.

FACT 1-
67% of City of Miami households speak Spanish primarily

New Census report highlights use of Spanish in United States

FACT 2-
75% of City of Miami households speak a language other than English at home

New Census report highlights use of Spanish in United States

FACT 3-
58.5% of Miami-Dade Households speak Spanish

In Miami, Spanish becoming primary language - Life- msnbc.com

FACT 4-
ONLY 27% of Miami-Dade households speak English at home

In Miami, Spanish becoming primary language - Life- msnbc.com

Crisp, thank you for understanding a well-rounded opinion, backed up with statistics. Moderator cut: Personal Attack/Trolling/Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-17-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 22,081 times
I believe the main question in this forum was whether or not a "white collar" worker would be able to conduct business and maintain a position in Miami, FL without any knowledge of the English language.

In my opinion, the average executive in Miami would most definitely speak English, but Spanish is also a major necessity. It is difficult to procure a high-paying position without both. Therefore no, it is not likely that you can find a good job without knowing English. However the opposite is also true, as Miami is fast becoming another extension of Latin America, it is also very difficult to find a position without knowing Spanish.

As an American-born, non-hispanic fluent English/Spanish speaker, I am well aware of the disadvantages English speakers have in the Miami job market. For most workers, it really is essential to know both languages enough to conduct business.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 22,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's All a Façade View Post
I believe the main question in this forum was whether or not a "white collar" worker would be able to conduct business and maintain a position in Miami, FL without any knowledge of the English language.

In my opinion, the average executive in Miami would most definitely speak English, but Spanish is also a major necessity. It is difficult to procure a high-paying position without both. Therefore no, it is not likely that you can find a good job without knowing English. However the opposite is also true, as Miami is fast becoming another extension of Latin America, it is also very difficult to find a position without knowing Spanish.

As an American-born, non-hispanic fluent English/Spanish speaker, I am well aware of the disadvantages English speakers have in the Miami job market. For most workers, it really is essential to know both languages enough to conduct business.
It is also true, though, that it is much easier for a Spanish-speaker with no English skills to find a blue collar position than an English-speaker with no Spanish skills. There is definitely a bias.

Last edited by It's All a Façade; 06-17-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: mistype

Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
It would be like an executive being transferred to Mexico from the U.S. ,one would want to know the primary language of that which is Spanish even though English was spoken fluently, I would not want to go to any country to reside and work and not know the primary language there.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What does this have to do with the OP'S statement? Way off- topic
The language most people speak in Miami is RIGHT ON TOPIC. The numbers are staggering. Usually pushovers don't like to talk about this 600 lb gorilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
It would be like an executive being transferred to Mexico from the U.S. ,one would want to know the primary language of that which is Spanish even though English was spoken fluently, I would not want to go to any country to reside and work and not know the primary language there.
Too bad South Americans don't feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami