Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times

Advertisements

Noland

I've met payloads of American executives in Europe that don't speak the language of the country.
Tons of Japanese executives too.
I worked for a large Japanese company in Barcelona and all their High Executives were brought from Japan and received Japanese salaries, the only low-level executives that spoke Spanish were Japanese ex-pats that received Spanish salaries and were not considered "fully Japanese". For Japanese, a Japanese ex-pat is some sort of hippy.
So the same thing happens with large HUBS in Miami geared to Latin American markets.
Everybody knows all around the world that you don't need English in Miami if you know Spanish, and I don't think that Italians and French would have much problems either.

It's all COMPANY POLICY.

If you work in Public Administration in the US or any country, you probably need to be a US Citizen and know English, but not in private companies. The day that the US or the EEC requires a language to people working in private Companies, that will be the end of Capitalism.

And what's the big fuzz about speaking Spanish?

People speak the language they need, so if they don't want to speak English or Spanish, that's their problem.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-17-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Moderator cut: English Only Move out of here if you are so unhappy with all this Spanish. For real. It's for your own good. I don't think you are trying hard enough. I don't know how someone can be so miserable in a place for 5 years. I would be very miserable if I live in a place like Alabama and that is the reason why I would never move there (Yes, I have been in Alabama and other states, as a matter of fact I'm not familiar with Hialeah, but apparently you are!!! Thank you for the insight) I understand you don't like Spanish or immigrants, but just move. You only live once. Complaining here is not gonna get you anywhere.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-17-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
This thread is close to being closed. Please lets get back on topic: Could a person do well in Miami, IN A WHITE COLLAR JOB, without ever speaking English?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
of course...

White collar workers usually speak spanish in Miami. (bilingual)

Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
The answer is YES.
For many INTERNATIONAL CORPORATIONS Miami is a beachhead on safe ground for their LA operations.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This thread is close to being closed. Please lets get back on topic: Could a person do well in Miami, IN A WHITE COLLAR JOB, without ever speaking English?

That would be the exception .... most professional jobs in Miami would require you to speak English . I work for a major Fortune 500 company and although I work out their office in Boca Raton , they have an office in the Blue Lagoon area of Miami International Airport and all of the employees communicate in English 95% of the time . No one would make it in our company and I suspect in most white collar professions with out ever speaking English .

Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
95% English for any sector in Miami is ridiculous.

It would be interesting to look at companies' email and memo policies. If a company only allows company emails, and blocks any other internet content, I bet most reputable companies would mostly be communicating in English.

But then again, how many companies with offices in Miami can claim that they are reputable and adhere 100% to company policy? NOT MANY.

Miami is where you go to get away with stuff and cut corners. That is why service, pay, and ethics are always in question here.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
How would one aspire to getting a college education to attain a white -collar job if they didn't know the English language here in Miami or America for that fact. E ven blue-collar jobs one needs to communicate and read office memos in English to know what is going on in the company for which they work.

Without ever and never are a long time and are impractical and if the company were comprised of 100% Hispanics here in Miami they would still want the employee to know the English language.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
How would one aspire to getting a college education to attain a white -collar job if they didn't know the English language here in Miami or America for that fact. E ven blue-collar jobs one needs to communicate and read office memos in English to know what is going on in the company for which they work.

Without ever and never are a long time and are impractical and if the company were comprised of 100% Hispanics here in Miami they would still want the employee to know the English language.
There are many college courses taught in Spanish and there may be English 101, 102 and 103 as requisites for graduation but I don't think those will make you "fluent" per se.

Re memos and policies..... ever hear of "word of mouth"? Also, many people tend to pick up only what is pertinent for the job but that does not mean they can actually hold a conversation.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I have no respect for people who make excuses or defend the 65% of Miami that speak Spanish all the time. There is no reason why Miami has to be any different than any other city of immigrants, in that they work hard at learning the language of the land, no matter what soceoeconomic stratum they belong to.

Also, to those who make excuses for people who refuse to speak English, you are in a minority yourself. Most (non-3rd world) people who cared about preserving our American heritage i.e., language, manners, and ethics have already voted with their feet by leaving. The small 20%-30% non-3rd world-immigrant minority that remains (Whites, AA's) in Miami are the only hope for rebuilding what has been lost the last 20 years.
Are you livin' in Miami? Get out, we don't want you here.
I can speak whatever language I feel like down here. Nobody ain't gonna tell me otherwise. Besides, big man Cuba Libre... whatcha gonna do anout it? CRY????

I speak mostly Spanish, Italian, and French in Miami and I have NO INTENTION of catering to the Anglos for anything. Many more are like me, and we number in the several hundreds of thousands.

The dominant culture of Miami is Latin. You don't like it? GET OUT and move to North Carolina like the rest of 'em.

Oh yeah, I'm one of those finance people in Brickell. And our emails? They're in Spanish and Portuguese bubba. Language at meetings? Spanish.

Preferred language? SPANISH.

Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-18-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami