Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post

But Cuba Libre...

Miami is the only city in the US where the most luxurious neighbourhoods are occupied by Latins.

The only city where Latins occupy the upper tier, including politicians, financial intermediaries, lawyers, doctors, CPA's...

The only place in the United States where REAL STATE increased in price after the famous "Anglo Flight". If the REAL STATE increases in price without Anglos and AA's, who needs them?

A city where Spanish is official.

Yes, of course, you need English just the same way you need English anywhere in the world.

The small minority you're talking too are marginal and they won't rebuilt something that never was. Miami will never be a sleepy and segregated southern town again.

Oh, yes, I'm sure it was a nicer place back in the 50's, but the entire US was nicer during the 50's.

From the WIKIPEDIA:

Because of its proximity to Latin America, Miami serves as the headquarters of Latin American operations for more than 1400 multinational corporations, including AIG, American Airlines, Cisco, Disney, Exxon, FedEx, Kraft Foods, Microsoft, Oracle, SBC Communications, Sony, and Visa International.
errr you do realize what is going on in Miami right now right? It is crashing big time from corruption, ineptitude and a undiversified economy. The unemployment in Miami had one of the biggest jumps in the States in May (went from 7 point something to 9 point something). Miami is a hot mess (literally). It has potential but that would take a total change in govt., mentality and the like to capitlize on said potentiel. So lets not paint the please to be something it isnt.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:44 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
There must be a mini-barrio hidden somewhere on the island...
----------

Yes, Coral Gables, Grove, Key Biscayne, Bal Harbour and Brickell are all barrios inhabited majoritarily by Hispanic, European and Jewish maids.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-20-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I have no respect for people who make excuses or defend the 65% of Miami that speak Spanish all the time. There is no reason why Miami has to be any different than any other city of immigrants, in that they work hard at learning the language of the land, no matter what soceoeconomic stratum they belong to.

Also, to those who make excuses for people who refuse to speak English, you are in a minority yourself. Most (non-3rd world) people who cared about preserving our American heritage i.e., language, manners, and ethics have already voted with their feet by leaving. The small 20%-30% non-3rd world-immigrant minority that remains (Whites, AA's) in Miami are the only hope for rebuilding what has been lost the last 20 years.
Whites? miami is over 65% white.

Hispanic is not a race. BTW, the other whites other than white hispanics that live in south florida (Small % of Europeans) don`t have an "American heritage".

The people that mostly have a U.S. American heritage here in south Florida are the U.S. Americans of African background that live in our region.

Moderator cut: Off Topic

Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-20-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
BTW, the other whites other than white hispanics that live in south florida (Small % of Europeans) don`t have an "American heritage".
You seem to be forgetting about the many American non-Hispanic whites who live in Miami-Dade as well. The majority of Miami-Dade's +/- 20% non-Hispanic white population is not European. There are plenty of non-Hispanic white Americans in Cutler Bay, Country Walk, Kendall, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Miami Lakes, Miami Springs, Miami Shores, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach, Aventura, Surfside, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Moderator cut: Deleted
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-20-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Yes, you are right.
Hispanic is not a race, "Anglos" are not a "race" either.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:07 PM

433 posts, read 953,187 times
Oh, the thing is in LA, Southern California, or other border counties, one can easily target the Hispanics population while in Miami is quite difficult to target it only using VISUAL appearance. How could you know who is Anglo or Hispanic in Key Biscayne or in Coral Gables just by its VISUAL appearance? Remember, I’m using the words VISUAL appearance. Either way, I think the official- census term of Hispanic as a race is in its way to disappearance as the USA becomes more of a Mexican melting pot, oh sorry, more of a Latin American melting pot.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
errr you do realize what is going on in Miami right now right? It is crashing big time from corruption, ineptitude and a undiversified economy. The unemployment in Miami had one of the biggest jumps in the States in May (went from 7 point something to 9 point something). Miami is a hot mess (literally). It has potential but that would take a total change in govt., mentality and the like to capitlize on said potentiel. So lets not paint the please to be something it isnt.

Where did I see this picture or similar pattern in a big USA city? Oh yeah, New York City, 1970s.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Where did I see this picture or similar pattern in a big USA city? Oh yeah, New York City, 1970s.
If thats what you think you saw in NYC then you need glasses. NYC had wall street, tourism, The Arts, Fashion, big time movie and tv production two of the nations top universities and on and on. Miami today can not even come close to comparing to NYC of the 1970s. Miami has little going for it in real terms.

What it does have is potentiel but unless their is a 120 degree turn about in Miami I don't see it going well for them. I would compare Miami to a Detroit at its hey day than any other place. Detroit had the auto makers and other small industries. Miami has tourism and other smaller industries. Unless Miami can some how cultivate a few industries to a meaningful level, enough so to generate jobs as well as deal with the city's vices I don't see things going well for Miami. The only big thing Miami ever had going for it was coke in the 80s, besides that it has always been some backwater place known for South Beach, tourism and entertainment. That a good economy does not make.

It does have a decent banking sector but ummm I think we all see how well finance is going. That is nothing to really rely on in the long term. I know Miami is trying to cultivate bio tech but Miami doesn't have the brains or the money to supersceded other bio tech strong holds that have better universities, better pool of researchers and more money.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If thats what you think you saw in NYC then you need glasses. NYC had wall street, tourism, The Arts, Fashion, big time movie and tv production two of the nations top universities and on and on. Miami today can not even come close to comparing to NYC of the 1970s. Miami has little going for it in real terms.

What it does have is potentiel but unless their is a 120 degree turn about in Miami I don't see it going well for them. I would compare Miami to a Detroit at its hey day than any other place. Detroit had the auto makers and other small industries. Miami has tourism and other smaller industries. Unless Miami can some how cultivate a few industries to a meaningful level, enough so to generate jobs as well as deal with the city's vices I don't see things going well for Miami. The only big thing Miami ever had going for it was coke in the 80s, besides that it has always been some backwater place known for South Beach, tourism and entertainment. That a good economy does not make.

It does have a decent banking sector but ummm I think we all see how well finance is going. That is nothing to really rely on in the long term. I know Miami is trying to cultivate bio tech but Miami doesn't have the brains or the money to supersceded other bio tech strong holds that have better universities, better pool of researchers and more money.

Ok, this what disturbed me most about you'll Miami haters,mad: Miami in comparison with other USA cities is a virgin; 50 years ago Miami was an sleepy town in the middle of the Everglades. Today you are comparing it with the capital of the world; NYC. It's not so bad acknowledging that NYC was created almost three hundred years ago. Remember, "Rome was not built in one day"

Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Ok, this what disturbed me most about you'll Miami haters,mad: Miami in comparison with other USA cities is a virgin; 50 years ago Miami was an sleepy town in the middle of the Everglades. Today you are comparing it with the capital of the world; NYC. It's not so bad acknowledging that NYC was created almost three hundred years ago. Remember, "Rome was not built in one day"
I didn't compare to NYC to Miami, you did. I was just pointing out how absurd the comparison is.

P.S. I don't hate Miami, as I said, it has potential but those in power need to find a way to harness it. As of yet they have yet to do so. Besides night life, what else does it really have going for it? As I said, everything they have tried to introduce so far has a lot of issues. They can become a great city but they need to sort a LOT of things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami