Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,672 times

Advertisements

I hear that the majority of people who live in Miami do not speak English and that most do not even know the language. Because nearly everyone who lives in Miami speaks Spanish I suspect that one could function perfectly fine in almost any job, even white collar professional positions, without knowing a word of English. Is this true?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
A LOT of people do not speak English. I don't know that they are the majority though. I have never had a problem with finding someone who speaks English though. The only time i have seen language play a negative role was when i went to a mall in Miami. the lady at the door who was supposed to be greeting people didn't great me (I am black). The person behind me who was white (looked Caucasian) walks in and she says something to him in Spanish. The guy turns around, walks out of the store, then turns around again, looked at the lady and says "ok lets try this again, but this time in English". She then said hello how are you doing and welcome to (whatever the store's name was). But I have never seen something like that play again. My point is, you should be fine with not knowing spanish. I think you should be ok. Now the challenge is actually finding a job because the market is mega tight.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,018 times
First of all, you heard wrong. Many people in Miami can speak English. I don't think someone who doesn't speak English can get a white collar job, unless they work for an international company from Latin America and I still doubt they can. All corporate emails and communications in every single company are conducted in English. English is not that hard to learn for someone who is qualified for a white collar job, just because you hear a lot of spanish in Miami it doesn't mean people can't speak English. The ones that can't usually are not suited for those jobs in the first place.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I hear that the majority of people who live in Miami do not speak English and that most do not even know the language. Because nearly everyone who lives in Miami speaks Spanish I suspect that one could function perfectly fine in almost any job, even white collar professional positions, without knowing a word of English. Is this true?
The majority of the people in Miami do speak English ... although a large minority either does not or refuses to do so . It would also depend on what part of Miami / Dade County you live in .... you can function perfectly with out any Spanish if you live and work in Coral Gables or Pinecrest as well as Brickell , Coconut Grove , Miami Shores , Aventura or Miami Beach .. if you live and / or work in Westchster , Hialeah , Carol City , Little Havana , West Miami or West Kendall you are screwed

I would not agree that you can function perfectly fine in almost any job with knowing English , unless it is a blue collar , labor intense low paying job or a job that attracts illegals .. construction , roofer , domestic help , day laborer , landscaper ... that might be true ... but you would not go far with out a basic command of the English language in most white collar professional jobs in Miami ... your sources have exagerated just a tad .

Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
First of all, you heard wrong. Many people in Miami can speak English. I don't think someone who doesn't speak English can get a white collar job, unless they work for an international company from Latin America and I still doubt they can. All corporate emails and communications in every single company are conducted in English. English is not that hard to learn for someone who is qualified for a white collar job, just because you hear a lot of spanish in Miami it doesn't mean people can't speak English. The ones that can't usually are not suited for those jobs in the first place.

Good post and 100% correct !!!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,957 times
Not a WHITE COLLAR hired in Miami, that's for sure. A WHITE COLLAR hired in Miami must be bilingual, or sometimes trilingual (Brazil).

Another thing is if a HUB, just as IBERIA, TELEFONICA, CAJAMADRID or ALTADIS needs to send a high executive (generally above 40) that don't speak a word of English. You don't find many English speakers in Spain in a certain age bracket.

I also met some Venezuelan high executives working in a Venezuelan bank in Brickell that didn't speak a word of English, but I guess that all those positions were political.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-15-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM

259 posts, read 840,437 times
Yep, for white collar jobs English is still a must. However if you don't want to feel left out of the common group lunch/happy hour/break room chatter, knowing Spanish is definitely a way to feel included. You will miss out on a lot of jokes if not but depending on the kind of person you are, you may not care. To me some of the most "hirable" people are the ones who can take on both worlds by maintaining the accent in both languages. (Meaning speaking english with an American accent and Spanish with a "spanish" accent so to speak)

Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
Yep, for white collar jobs English is still a must. However if you don't want to feel left out of the common group lunch/happy hour/break room chatter, knowing Spanish is definitely a way to feel included. You will miss out on a lot of jokes if not but depending on the kind of person you are, you may not care. To me some of the most "hirable" people are the ones who can take on both worlds by maintaining the accent in both languages. (Meaning speaking english with an American accent and Spanish with a "spanish" accent so to speak)
Good take and you are correct !!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,574 times
Quote:
I don't think someone who doesn't speak English can get a white collar job, unless they work for an international company from Latin America and I still doubt they can.
Most of the 'hustle and bustle' in Miami revolves around these kinds of businesses. Most large companies in Miami are also Latin American, or at least heavily influenced by Latin America. So where do you draw the line?

Quote:
All corporate emails and communications in every single company are conducted in English.
What a load of b.s... Prove it.

Quote:
English is not that hard to learn for someone who is qualified for a white collar job, just because you hear a lot of spanish in Miami it doesn't mean people can't speak English. The ones that can't usually are not suited for those jobs in the first place.
Again, complete B.S. Most of the used car salesmen at the LeJune Rd. Maroone Chevrolet can't speak English. They had to seriously "look" to find a guy who could speak halfway decent English for me and my girlfriend.

AT most banks in Miami, English is a luxury that can be heard at the expense of service. It usually comes with a thick accent that makes doing business a frustrating, unpleasent experience.

Last edited by cuba libre; 06-15-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,574 times
I have no respect for people who make excuses or defend the 65% of Miami that speak Spanish all the time. There is no reason why Miami has to be any different than any other city of immigrants, in that they work hard at learning the language of the land, no matter what soceoeconomic stratum they belong to.

Also, to those who make excuses for people who refuse to speak English, you are in a minority yourself. Most (non-3rd world) people who cared about preserving our American heritage i.e., language, manners, and ethics have already voted with their feet by leaving. The small 20%-30% non-3rd world-immigrant minority that remains (Whites, AA's) in Miami are the only hope for rebuilding what has been lost the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami