Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do residents of Miami consider Miami to be a Southern city?
Yes 7 15.22%
No 39 84.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 PM

433 posts, read 953,187 times

Advertisements

Miami a Southern City? For real, Miami is a northen city, actually sometimes I think It is the more northen city of Cuba. LOL, OK a joke, But Miami seems more like New York than any other USA southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
and the citizens of miami say amen.....

Amen to what?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times
really quickgrits? I think spade's post is spot on with regard to the black community.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 PM

552 posts, read 592,517 times
[quote=Thomas Jefferson;9361335]Miami a Southern City? For real, Miami is a northen city, actually sometimes I think It is the more northen city of Cuba. LOL, OK a joke, But Miami seems more like New York than any other USA southern city.[/quote]

Eewww... Miami isnt southern, at all. It's a mix of NJ/Carribean. How did it get road rage capitol and worst US drivers again? Hmm...

It WISHES it had the attributes of a southern city.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times
Default an unabashed miamophile!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Amen to what?
I don't wish miami to be a southern culture city. I find the faux genteelness of southern society to be quite possibly the very worst hipocracy. I'm one of those people who will appreciate a sincere frown over a fake smile any day.

I'm far more comfortable with miami as it is. I like northeasterners which is not to say that I don't like southerners just that I like a person who is direct and southerners are not directly direct you need to know the buzzwords. if you know the buzzwords then southerners are just like anyone else but they seem sweet to the outsider, they ain't but they are pleasant in their abrasiveness.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Especially amongst the blacks in Miami. They do the same things they do in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. They ride the big box chevy's, has a very large baptist churches in and around Dade County, listen to nothing BUT Southern music, eat the same food (every city in the South does have their differences to this I admit but it's basically the same).
AA culture in Miami is very similar to the rest of the South. That is why at Publix you will find "collard greens" and "lemon pepper" chicken - 2 items I love! If it weren't for AA culture in Miami, there would be almost no trace of pre-1980's culture in Miami. Except for Tom's Barbecue on 8th street and a few small restaurants off the Tamiami Trail, there are almost no non-ethnic restaurants that predate El Mariel and its aftermath.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,409 times
What are the characteristics of a Southern city?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
What is the double A that you are referring to, Cuba Libre?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Miami is Miami. The blacks are as southern as anywhere else, but that's where it STOPS. And not all blacks are American Blacks, ALOT are Carribean.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
No, not a southern town:

According to the Wikipedia:

Miami is recognized as a global city because of its importance in finance, commerce, media, entertainment, arts and international trade.[7][8] The city is home to many company headquarters, banks, and television studios. It is an international center for popular entertainment in television, music, fashion, film, and the performing arts. The city's Port of Miami is known for accommodating the largest volume of cruise ships in the world and is home to many cruise line headquarters. Miami is also home to the largest concentration of international banks in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami