Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

Advertisements

I can take u to street corners in Jacksonville that would make Overtown seem like a fairy tale,thats how bad it is here in Jax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I can take u to street corners in Jacksonville that would make Overtown seem like a fairy tale,thats how bad it is here in Jax.
I was stationed both at mayport and cecil field, I know jax pretty well. nothing in jax impressed me as dangerous at the time and I cruised some seedy areas.

could you name the intersections?

with regard to overtown, overtown is tame in my opinion as is the dreaded "triangle" in opa-locka.

a bit disconcerting in my opinion were the bed-stuy neighborhoods in brooklyn new york back in the late 1970s but on a recent trip even that once tough neighborhood looked mighty neat to me and it looked like the area had changed into a very nice place to live.

I've never been to compton or oakland but I have a friend whom I served with that lives in oakland and he's still alive so there must not be too many BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD things there either.

I'm sure that if you are respectful of others and not involved in illicit activity but are also prepared to defend yourself if provoked then you will be ok and if not then it really will boil down to the luck of the draw.

a few years back ( I think 1994 ) we were staying in atlanta at the peachtree marriott or hyatt I don't recall what chain it belonged to. the event were attending co-incided with the freak-nik event which is to my understanding an african american social gathering that sometimes gets out of hand.

well there I was the only white man, dressed in a tuxedo riding an elevator with some rambunctuous black teens, both boys and girls. one of the youngsters says something to effect of man I bet this cracker is pooping in his pants right about now which drew a chuckle from everyone even from me. well I didn't like the look in his eyes though as he was staring down intently at me so I took a step up into his face and with my nasty breath from having had supper consisting of steak and what not ( I was actually going upstairs to brush my teeth ) I looked him squarely in his eyes and asked "is there really anything in here that should freighten me?" he didn't respond, I stepped back, smiled arrived at my floor wished the kids a good night and went my merry way. could it have ended badly? sure it could have, especially had I cowered. I was respectful but I also let it be known that if there was a fight coming I would be a willing participant. that approach has always worked for me and people sense that you mean it when you do mean it.

black people, hispanic people any people aren't inherently bad or stronger or more capable than anyone else. in fact if you use history as the yardstick then the colored people of the world should fear white people, we have all but completely conquered the planet.

any way the point of my rant is, be kind but be brave, people all over the planet understand that and respect it.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 AM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
^^^ You should try Greenville, SC. Really scary. It has a higher crime index than Lauderhill according to City-Data stats.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 AM

I've never been there, to greenville sc but I do work in lauderhill from time to time and once again the problem there in lauderhill is almost exclusively drug related. if you are not involved in the drug trade, especially as a supplier statistically you will have no problems in lauderhill or anywhere else.

my line of work is security, perimeter security and access control. by the very nature of my business I have to be in some of the "worst" neighborhoods from palm beach to key west.

I don't want to come off as a bad ass because I'm not, I'm really a hippie at heart with with some skills in metallurgy and electronics that allow me to make a decent living (contrary to popular belief crime does indeed pay, just not for the perpetrators)

to understand what is truely scary I think you would need to travel to mogadishu somalia for instance and though I've never been I'm sure that being respectful and being courageous will see me through that place if ever I was to find myself there. I have been to panama and there is a place there called san miguelito which was pretty scary and yet here I am posting from miami 19 years later.

it's all about how you interact with other folks, people are people everywhere you go.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM

31 posts, read 34,344 times
miami imo most dangerous city anywhere.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post

to understand what is truely scary I think you would need to travel to mogadishu somalia
Does growing up in the most dangerous city in the world at that time, Medellin during the Pablo Escobar years qualify me for having a saying on what I consider scary?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Does growing up in the most dangerous city in the world at that time, Medellin during the Pablo Escobar years qualify me for having a saying on what I consider scary?

lol reped

Old 06-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
no

Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Depends what part of the county you grew up in. I grew up near and in Miami in the 70's and 80's and other than the Dadeland shooting, was not even aware of the danger. In fact my parent's home was and never has been robbed. In the 90's however, there was a home invasion to the rear of their home and only the gunshots attracted their attention.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
The shooting at that block party on Monday(where 13 people were injured) wasn't that far from this intersection, like two blocks away. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami