Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Hey...do you want to see teachers laid off in Dade like they were in Broward ? Stop complaining and pay up. Do you want to see reduced staffing in your fire and police departments causing delayed response times ? You get what you pay for...so pay up and quit the whining.
I have to disagree with you here. the people who slop up at the public trough are out of control. we are taxed far too much and the government will always take more than you and I might be willing to pay up if we are not vigilant and then disciplined to call them on it. I oppose taxation of any sort and additional taxation must be quashed. no one needs more money, we all could learn to be better with the money we have and that applies doubly to all levels of government. we all need to learn to handle our affairs in accordance with our means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Hey...do you want to see teachers laid off in Dade like they were in Broward ? Stop complaining and pay up. Do you want to see reduced staffing in your fire and police departments causing delayed response times ? You get what you pay for...so pay up and quit the whining.
I have no problem paying extra for a system that is under funded. But that is not the case with Miami-Dade. When a system mismanaging the money they get, and then wants to tax me for the difference, which is their mismanagement of the money. I have a huge problem with that. The county need to become efficient with their money and not over spend.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Miami Fire-Fee Burns Hole in Residents' Pockets (http://www.miamisunpost.com/archives/2006/01-12-06/thirdstoryfrontpage.htm - broken link)

The last fire fee that Miami tried was ruled unconstitutional. Miami-Dade county is notorious for wasting money on useless things like traffic circles, 4-way stop signs, overpriced trees to funnel money to Manuel Diaz, new sidewalks and "repairs" and at the same time allowing critical roads and bridges to fall into disrepair. We all know how the school system eats money to produce mediocre results. The amount of tax revenue that Miami-Dade county gets is mind-boggling but due to the corruption tax at least 10% of it is wasted to feed the crooked machine. They use schools and essential services as a front to fuel their backroom deals and kickbacks that support the local power structure. Since Miami-Dade is already at maximum tax millage by state law they have to find additional illegal ways to scam property holders. They know they can get away with anything because many holders are too dumb to even know what property tax is.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 AM

Tallrick I totally agree. Channel 4 news did a story on it recently I found. Video Library - cbs4.com

Old 06-30-2009, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 14,939 times
Yes, there is a fire fee being considered for residents who receive fire rescue services from Miami Dade County. The intent behind the fee is to make up for the continual decline in tax revenue that has occured since 2007. The request is not to add more money, but to keep funding levels the same as the prior year. The county lowered the tax rate used to charge for fire rescue services several years ago. Meaning, you are paying less now than you were for fire rescue services. Miami Dade is fortunate to have several great fire departments that provide a level of service not realized throughout the country. Even with a fire fee, in place, you proabably still pay less than you were several years ago. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
We have had fire tax and rubbish tax for many years,as I said one other time government never has enough money.The gov't can do as they want to property owners,they control your property.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM

I forgot to let everyone what has happened with this, GOOD news, the county commissioners took it off the agenda for the meeting for now, after residents complained enough about it. But they said it could be readdressed next year and might be up for next years property taxes. Also found out how much it was going to be per household. It would of started at a minimum of $300 a year and would go up from there. The assessment was supposed to be based on the square footage of each home-with larger amounts assessed for larger square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami