Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
But has Hialeah retained its Cubaness? No
Yes, it's hard to tell from overseas from that remote town in Catalunia. For those of us that live is very easy to tell how many Cubans are still in Hialeah. Before making assumptions, stating madeup fantasies as facts, at least make an attempt to do some research. City Data is such a great site that it has all stats for us:

33010 (East/South Hialeah)
Foreign born population: 34,765 (76.7%)
Most common places of birth for the foreign-born residents:
Cuba (77%)
Nicaragua (9%)
Honduras (3%)

33012 (West Hialeah)
Foreign born population: 54,601 (72.9%)
Cuba (77%)
Nicaragua (9%)
Honduras (3%)

Foreign born population: 24,652 (73.9%)
Cuba (85%)
Nicaragua (5%)

33014 (Miami Lakes)
Foreign born population: 22,753 (58.8%)
Cuba (65%)
Nicaragua (8%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkeler23 View Post
Like to add a quick note. A while back I had run into a guy while I was in hialeah. he had asked me for a favor and I was like sorry I can't do that. He looked at me and told me do I really look like I would do you wrong. And I replied. Its not personal its just this place isn't exactly beverly hills and all is hunk dory. He replies" man,to me this place is like beverly hills".

Personally like I said there are the nice and bad areas in many cities but the area I was in is was a little glim(being it was very early noon if you catch my drift)with a lot of thugish and other worldly looking figures walking around.

So personally when in this area I tend not to feel to comfortable. And when I heard the statistic about hialeah being lowest in crime of all u.s suburbs I was at really at aw.
How strange that you would "run into a guy" while in Hialeah yet you won't do ''a guy" a favor. Geez I wish i ran into guys that easily.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 AM

182 posts, read 502,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkeler23 View Post
I thought I read or heard some where from a credible source that hialeah is amongst or "the" city in the U.S with the lowest crime rate or something like that.

As far as Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Palmetto Bay, Coconut Grove all these areas have there good and bad areas
on a basis of frequent crime and the aesthetic looks of homes.

I've been around these areas plenty and I know them well. As for Indian Creek, Bal Harbor not to familiar with them.

And I think some one said south miami is run down. Again just like many areas in south florida their are its good and bad areas. I have driven through south miami plenty as well plus have family withing this part of town. And it is really ,really nice. The particular home my family member lives in looks like it should be inside one of those interior design magazines. Funny thing is though if you drive say 7 minutes of track you'll be dead center in the ghetto.

It sounds like all areas have pockets of good and bad. Is there any family area that would be considered mostly good, with good public elem and middle schools?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^To answer your question Pinecrest, East Kendall, South Miami and Coral Gables.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
pincecrest and kendall, miami springs has good elementary schools, but the middle needs work, and the high school is finaly up an coming, after being a d for 5 years straight.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM

119 posts, read 313,097 times
Default Middle to Upper Middle Class Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post
It sounds like all areas have pockets of good and bad. Is there any family area that would be considered mostly good, with good public elem and middle schools?
In Dade County there is no such thing as a good public school...

if your going to live here your best bet is a gentrified area to live and a private school....all public schools here are very ghetto with metal detectors and gangs

Each child's education should cost you about $7k-$15k a yr....

$7k is not so good its just the least expensive way to educate your child here...

The area of Andover is about to become very wealthy....they are building some very nice and large homes there now...will definitely "Angloize" the area...

other areas that are Anglo in Miami Dade County are Surfside, Bal Harbour, Sunny Isles, Golden Beach, Miami Shores, Biscayne Park, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove

North Miami has some Anglos moving it as well as Biscayne Gardens...

I think Biscayne Gardens can become a very wealthy area one day the homes and lots are huge and the part of North Miami between the Gardens and the Shores is getting very nice also on the side east of North Miami Ave....

funny what used to be said about the NW Shores is not longer said and now its said of NW North Miami...NE North Miami is very gentrified there are a few areas in North Miami Anglos and Cubans want to stay away from...

I think anything from I-95 to NE 2nd will be gentrified...from 88st to 151 st

If your looking to buy in North Miami....

don't buy west of Dixie HWY and east of NE 6th AVE.... it will be nice one day but with the King (Slum) Apartments that area is not very good...

North Miami is nice everywhere else except for W of I-95 and whatever is not between NE 6th Ave and W Dixie Hwy

btw the Jewish part of town is Miami Beach, Aventura, Bay Harbor Islands (contested), and North Miami Beach...

Hialeah used to be Cuban but with all those central Americans moving in it may go the way of Little Havana or what I call it Little Nicaragua
The Cubans are moving to Doral, Miami Lakes, Coral Gables, Pembroke Pines, Pinecrest and Kendall...

if FL passes the immigration law though I think real estate in Miami will skyrocket and Hialeah will be very nice as they are the neighborhood with the migrants as well Little Havana, Sweetwater, Homestead and ofcourse Allapattah (yuck) I rather live in Lemon City or Little River than in Allapattah

I dont know anything about Westchester ...to me its a mix of Coral Gables and Sweetwater which it lies between can go either way....

Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 PM

139 posts, read 383,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11 View Post
Depends..... Some areas I love and I think are among the nicest looking in the State and many parts of the country.
Examples of such:
Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Palmetto Bay, Coconut Grove, Indian Creek, Bal Harbour. all these areas feel very urban yet have a very nice, peaceful and picturesque feel to them....

Other suburbs are hideous and I personally hope they get renovated or in all this foreclosure mess, someone with a little more taste buys them and fixes them up a lil bit.

Examples:
Westchester, West Miami, Hialeah, houses off flagler etc.... Most are middle class neighborhoods that look are designed with NO CLASS or Taste what so ever. homeowners do what they want in these neighborhoods. some have normal, neat looking houses painted in normal colors with a nice grass front lawn while the house next to you painted the house pink, with bars over the windows and doors, ugly gates and tiled floors and just to make it look even worst, Flamingo's or random fountains over the driveway... YUCK! like I said, easy to fix if somebody with Good taste moves in.

Overall I do think Miami has Really Really Nice Suburbs but really tacky and disgusting ones at that....

between you saying that westchester is a "tacky, disgusting" suburb and somebodymiami saying that poor people all come from sh*tty families, tonight is officially hate everything night.

i feel sick.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
if FL passes the immigration law though I think real estate in Miami will skyrocket and Hialeah will be very nice as they are the neighborhood with the migrants as well Little Havana, Sweetwater, Homestead and ofcourse Allapattah (yuck) I rather live in Lemon City or Little River than in Allapattah

I dont know anything about Westchester ...to me its a mix of Coral Gables and Sweetwater which it lies between can go either way....

-----

American

Do all those Central and South American illegals appear on the statistics?
How come Hialeah appears as mostly Cuban and the place is packed with Central Americans, Columbians, Guatemalaysians, etc?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
if FL passes the immigration law...
It doesn't matter if 100% of voters voted for it. All it takes is one liberal judge to stop it, like what happened in Arizona. The insanity with the system is that the people's only recourse to an out of control judiciary is to go back to that same judiciary and ask for redress. It's like not liking a decision a dictator makes and then going to the same dictator and asking him to change his mind.
Congress in in charge of setting up the system of federal judges under the constitution. They should pass a law forbidding federal judges from taking any case other than criminal cases. That would fix the problem of all activist judges, except the surpreme court which they can not do anything about without a constitutional ammendment. Still, the supremet court can only do som much damage if they are the only ones left because they can only hear so many cases a year.

Oh, and as for the FL law proposal, it will never happen. It was only thrown out htere by a candidate who was behind in the polls to gain support. It's just political grandstanding.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM

473 posts, read 237,145 times
Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami