Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,842 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for helping me out. I've actually done a lot of research on Miami and the surrounding areas. I've read a lot of the forum threads already around. So, I'm going to try to ask questions that don't repeat what has been answered already.

Basically, here's my story. I'm moving in August to go to grad school at the University of Miami. Living on campus, for only 9 months, comes out to be about $16,000 a year, and that's living with other people. This isn't even a full year. Plus, I've heard from current students that the on campus housing is not very good spacewise and other.

Therefore, I've been looking for alternatives for the past couple of months.

A thirty minute drive is ok with me to campus everyday. Plus, I probably won't have to travel during rushour.

I've looked at Brickell, South Beach, and Coral Gables, just because I know these are safe places to live and relatively close.

My budget is a little less than what I thought it was going to be a couple of months ago, but here it is.

No more than $1000 rent a month. I can go higher on the utilities and such, but just rent needs to stay at $1000. All I need is a studio.

Even that has been difficult to find. I don't want to live in a house with a bunch of other people, and I'd preferably not like to live on the first floor of a place.

Is this do-able? Also, I'm open to suggestions on other places to live besides coral gables, brickell, and south beach. It's just, those are the only ones I know for sure would be pretty safe. Please suggest some if you know.

I have a realtor, but don't know if he's going to come through with a place at that budget. But, I have noticed prices coming down because of the economy. And, I've seen some throwing in a month free, which would come down on cost. I'm also in a position to be able to pay for the full year in advance, if it will give me a substantially better deal, because I have a good relationship with a bank up here in Tennessee.

So, if you could, please help guys. Thanks so much!

Abe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
I suggest Dadeland. It's only like a 10 minute drive. East Kendall is another option but that will take you a little longer.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 AM

212 posts, read 426,689 times
Dadeland and South Miami are two areas very close to campus, generally very safe, with lots of amenities like restaurants/shopping/movie theaters/parks and with LOTS of rental units. I am frankly surprised that your broker has not come up with something viable for you. I would suggest that you put those two areas and "for rent" in a search engine and see what you come up with AND contact directly. I know of some brand new rental units right on the fringe of campus and will drive by and get a phone number (since I don't know what those units are called).

Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,842 times
that would be great! my realtor just kept saying that I need to bigger budget to get into a studio in a nice place. and that $1000 wouldn't probably cut it, but he'd see what he could do. I will be visiting July 13-16 to look at places. I appreciate the help. I've looked into dadeland and kendall on craigslist and other sites since you posted, and I will tell my realtor they are viable options too. I'm giving him a chance to find one, but I'm also making a long list of places to call myself and get to see if he doesn't come through.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
There's another publication called The Flyer which has listings and you can sort by area.
TheFlyer.com - The Best LOCAL Values - In Print and Online

have you contacted the Student Housing office?

Here's a link for off-campus housing and you can go to other sites from there.

http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,42701-1;59678-3,00.html (broken link)

From The Flyer:
kings creek/ kendall All Renovated 1 ... kings creek/ kendallAll Renovated 1/1 Condo, Balcony, Tiled, Pool. Near Baptist/ Dadeland. $895/Month. (786)348-1030. (305)401-1712...
4 days ago $895

KENDALL/142-Ave Remodeled 1 ... KENDALL/142-Ave Remodeled 1/1 Condo, Gated, Tiled, Washer/Dryer, Water Included, Pool/ Clubhouse, $875/Month. 305-215-3296....
4 days ago $875

Last edited by vpcats; 07-01-2009 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Here's a link for off-campus housing and you can go to other sites from there.

Off-Campus Housing | University of Miami (http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,42701-1;59678-3,00.html - broken link)
Definitely try the link that vpcats posted. What kind of amenities, etc. are you expecting? It sounds like your realtor might be stuck in the days of everyone requiring high-end finishes. You can definitely find places in your price range, but without the high-end finishes - and if all you want is a studio, it would be a nice one. If you're fine with average finishes (think formica counters, slightly older places), then you should be able to find something decent.

South Miami near Sunset Place is a very nice area. You might be able to find something in that area. There are some 2-br condos that used to go for around $1200, if you are not completely opposed to having a roommate. You can find a roommate through the above site - I used that site and found the best roommate I ever had.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM

212 posts, read 426,689 times
I think Red Road Commons (where I was suggesting looking) does not have availabilities in their studio, which is listed at $1,100 or so, so that was too expensive to begin with.

If I were you, I'd rent an older unit in South Miami proper. It's very, very convenient to UM, is a real walking small city within the Miami-Dade metro area. They have several different grocery stores (Publix/Winn-Dixie/Whole Foods/Gardners Gourmet market). A major movie-plex, lots and lots of eateries at every price point, dry cleaners, banks, multiple pharmacies, gas stations, bakeries, clothing boutiques, hair salons, spa services, practically anything you'd want and all within walking distance. It's also pretty much English speaking, if that matters to you. Zip code: 33143. Brickell also has a pretty neat little retail area, but is smaller and you have to cross Brickell to access. Brickell is more international, more second home, and probably not as relaxed because there are all the gates and cards and such. zip code: 33133(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami