Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:17 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times

Advertisements

Wow, so the African-American community has grown alot in Miramar heh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Miramar was never "mostly" Cuban. In the 1990s it started shifting from being solidly white (non-Hispanic) to becoming a popular destination for West Indian black middle class (with some "ghetto" elements moving into east Miramar), with a few Hispanics moving in but not disproportional to the rest of the south Broward area. In fact, most of the Hispanics that do live there aren't even Cuban. They are mostly Colombian, Venezuelan and other South American with SOME Cubans mixed in. West Miramar in the 1990s went from being nonexistent with your occasional "Florida Cracker" to very integrated and it still is. I still think West Miramar is a very good (if not top) place to live if you prefer newer communities. The problems with the rentals/section 8 is mostly limited to a couple communities.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-07-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 50,803 times
JackTheRipper, those figures may apply to all of Miramar, but not West Miramar. You need to look at the figures for zip code 33029. //www.city-data.com/zips/33029.html
  • Cuba (27%)
  • Jamaica (13%)
  • Colombia (9%)
  • Peru (5%)
  • Venezuela (4%)
  • Haiti (3%)
  • Philippines (3%)
As you can see, the predominant foreign born group is made up of Cubans. Here is the breakdown by race.

White population: 26,437
Black population: 4,707
American Indian population: 35
Asian population: 1,450
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander population: 26
Some other race population: 1,327
Two or more races population: 1,344

By sheer statistics, I can almost guarantee you that a large chunk of the White Population is made up of Cubans. Also, there is a chart in that link, which shows that the black population is actually declining in West Miramar. This could be a direct result of the "tension" mentioned by the original poster.

Last edited by tugando; 07-07-2009 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugando View Post
JackTheRipper, those figures may apply to all of Miramar, but not West Miramar. You need to look at the figures for zip code 33029. //www.city-data.com/zips/33029.html
  • Cuba (27%)
  • Jamaica (13%)
  • Colombia (9%)
  • Peru (5%)
  • Venezuela (4%)
  • Haiti (3%)
  • Philippines (3%)
As you can see, the predominant foreign born group is made up of Cubans. Here is the breakdown by race.

By sheer statistics, I can almost guarantee you that a large chunk of the White Population is made up of Cubans. Also, there is a chart in that link, which shows that the black population is actually declining in West Miramar. This could be a direct result of the "tension" mentioned by the original poster.
That also includes west Pembroke Pines which IS a heavily Cuban area and proportionally less black. Also, another interesting tidbit I found...

Estimated median house (or condo) value in 2007 for:
* White Non-Hispanic householders: $500,952
* Black or African American householders: $514,932
* Asian householders: $507,068
* Some other race householders: $462,798
* Two or more races householders: $478,525
* Hispanic or Latino householders: $479,108

The black in the area obviously aren't "low class". And I showed on another thread that crime in Miramar is acutally at a low point (cities like Pembroke Pines and Davie now exceed it) and not increasing in a higher proportion to other areas. While I still agree with some of the posts earlier in the thread, I would prefer not to be a part of the problem and just encourage decent people to move to decent areas whatever their background may be. I still do not feel that most of west Miramar is not a decent area.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-07-2009 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 22,437 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right, "the bad element came from the increase in renters", but those renters happen to be mostly black. Like I said, the blacks that own are very nice and decent individuals, but the ones that rent are depressing the area. It's almost as if the blacks that have their stuff together get chased around by the ones that don't. This is the reason why whites end up not wanting any blacks in their neighborhood, period. They know that the bad apples will follow the good. It's sad, but true.
I moved from west miramar recently and I understand the point you're trying make, but when you refer to blacks it is misleading. There are large haitian and/or jamacian populaltions in that area and I assume that they are the blacks that you speak of.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Quote:
  • Cuba (27%)
  • Jamaica (13%)
  • Colombia (9%)
  • Peru (5%)
  • Venezuela (4%)
  • Haiti (3%)
  • Philippines (3%)

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobieredd View Post
I moved from west miramar recently and I understand the point you're trying make, but when you refer to blacks it is misleading. There are large haitian and/or jamacian populaltions in that area and I assume that they are the blacks that you speak of.
I have to disagree. The Caribbeans, from my observations, usually tend to value their homes and keep them well, and don't have that ghetto element/mindset around (22" wheels, big chevys, gold teeth, thug mentality etc).
There a few homeowners in our subdivision (Chapel Trail) that are Caribbean (middle class, professionals), and there are no issues with them.

Just look at Miami Gardens/Carol City/Opa Locka, and you'll see what I mean. The ones that are mentioned here seem to be lower class/section 8, AAs.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
heydade, you hit the nail right on the head.

Actually, my parents live in West Miramar, and they moved there back in 1995, when it was all white. They have mentioned that as more blacks began to move into the neighborhood, so did crime. This is not racism, this is a fact. Actually, their front neighbor, who is black and renting, and who recently moved into the neighborhood from Opa-locka, got arrested about two weeks ago, when another neighbor caught him breaking into a neighbor's house.

When I visit my parents, I see black teens out in their parent's driveways, wearing wifebeaters and droopy pants, it is disturbing. It reminds me of Carol City, where I grew up. There are some very nice and decent blacks in the neighborhood, normally the ones that own. The "ghetto blacks" are the ones that are renting, or living off of section-8. Many say that a Realtor by the name of Shelly, is to blame for moving so many blacks into West Miramar.

What needs to occur, is that residents of West Miramar, need to push for incorporating a new city, the "City of West Miramar". You are then free to impose strict rules, which will drive the shady individuals out. At the moment, you can do nothing, because the perpetrators are black, and the politicians are also black. It makes no sense in having black politicians from East Miramar, govern West Miramar, when the majority who live in the west are still white. This occurred in Miami-Dade county years ago. White Anglo-Saxon's were the governing majority, until districts and cities were created, which put Cubans in control of their own neighborhoods.
My friend, don't blame "shelly" for this. Blame the current economic situation. I am seeing section 8 move out where I am too (not near miramar). The same thing is happening in parts of plantation, sunrise, coral springs etc. People who can not afford their homes or want to leave south florida look to rent since they can not sell. They know that section 8 is not dependant on whether or not someone loses their job. it is a steady money earner and as such, more home owners are excepting people on section 8. Now granted, not everyone on section 8 is bad news but sometimes cousins and boyfriends tag along for the ride. sometimes they may not even live in that area, but just come to visit and next thing you know its show time.

Look for a LOT of western areas in broward to start looking like western miramar, believe it.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobieredd View Post
jamaicans and haitians are not black? Or are you saying they don't do crime? If so you should go check out parts of wilton manors, little haiti and lauderhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I have to disagree. The Caribbeans, from my observations, usually tend to value their homes and keep them well, and don't have that ghetto element/mindset around (22" wheels, big chevys, gold teeth, thug mentality etc).
There a few homeowners in our subdivision (Chapel Trail) that are Caribbean (middle class, professionals), and there are no issues with them.

Just look at Miami Gardens/Carol City/Opa Locka, and you'll see what I mean. The ones that are mentioned here seem to be lower class/section 8, AAs.
bro, go to little Haiti some parts of that are a dump and those are Haitians. Same in parts of Wilton manors and also in lauderhill. Aslo you were just in NYC you remember how flatbush used to look? From nostrand ave and the pkwy all the way south to the junction use to be pretty darn decent back in the days. Then the Caribbeans came in and now it is what it is today. Also, 80% of Miami Floridian African Americans are the descendants of Caribbean blacks who came here in the 1800s to work doing physical labor. If you have time go to the South Florida museum of history in Miami they had a PHENOMENAL exhibit on The African Diaspora's history in South Florida. I found it fascinating. If you don't want to spend the money just go the first Saturday of every month. entry is free.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
jamaicans and haitians are not black? Or are you saying they don't do crime? If so you should go check out parts of wilton manors, little haiti and lauderhill.

bro, go to little Haiti some parts of that are a dump and those are Haitians. Same in parts of Wilton manors and also in lauderhill. Aslo you were just in NYC you remember how flatbush used to look? From nostrand ave and the pkwy all the way south to the junction use to be pretty darn decent back in the days. Then the Caribbeans came in and now it is what it is today. Also, 80% of Miami Floridian African Americans are the descendants of Caribbean blacks who came here in the 1800s to work doing physical labor. If you have time go to the South Florida museum of history in Miami they had a PHENOMENAL exhibit on The African Diaspora's history in South Florida. I found it fascinating. If you don't want to spend the money just go the first Saturday of every month. entry is free.
Don't get me wrong, the areas you mention down here are poor/less affluent. I won't argue with you there. The ones I mentioned in my neighborhood in W.Pines are middle class/professional Caribbeans (Jamaican/Haitian/Barbadian or Bajan) (which seems to be the norm of who represent black professionals here..well the few professionals that are left). I made it clear in my post.

Please you're not going to make me or anyone believe that the majority of blacks living in ghettos in South Florida are from the Caribbean . (names like Trayvon, Jamarcus, DayQwon and La'Niqua are not Jamaican, nor Haitian names ). Most of the blacks in areas like Carol City/Opa Locka/Overtown/Goulds/Homestead are majority African Americans, not Caribbeans. I've seen enough to know who is who down here at this point. African Americans are all over this country and make the majority of black ghettos. We all know that (you can't refute that). Flatbush has many Caribbeans, I know. Again, most of them are not middle class, but working class, so it's more of an issue of class and education. I sent you an article in another thread about Africans and Caribbeans in college, soaring. Like it or hate it, it's the truth.

My wife's ancestry is Caribbean, and I will say, she clarified many things for me (including the seemingly unfounded hatred African Americans have for Caribbeans and Africans, which is sad beyond anyone's understanding). That's sad. My first teaching gig down here was in a majority black school. It was sad to see the way the AAs treated other blacks (caribbean/africans, from my observations), and how it was the few whites and latinos that went against the grain to show them love. That my friend, is sad.

First the white man, then Latinos, now the Island Blacks and Africans . I just don't get it. Come to think of it, AAs don't seem to like anyone (blame game). Sad, very sad. Where is the love, and where does it end?

I will check the Museum, when I get a chance. Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami