Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
So you are from Davie...
So Miami is full of criminals that mostly come out at night.
Do they wear white gowns?
Chances are, they looked something like this...

Or maybe like this...
http://www.martialedge.net/images/stories/philosophy/article-images/Honduran%20members%20of%20the%2018th%20Street%20ga ng.%2018%20comes%20from%20a%20street%20in%20the%20 Latino%20section%20of%20Los%20Angeles,%20Californi a..jpg (broken link)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymeme View Post
Hello dear I have been living in Miami all my life and quite frankly i dont ever want to move. I honestly believe that it is what you make out of it. I notice that there is alot of chatting about the fact that people dont say hello which is true but of course if you greet someone they will greet you back. I love the sunshine the fact that I leave my door unlock most of the times and blessed that nothing ever happens. I believe that the people who are robbed are by someone they know and people who leave there neighborhood to enter a territory that is unfamiliar to them with windows down, and doors unlocked asking to be robbed. It's not right what these crooks do but some people just don't safeguard themselves. There is so much to do in Miami as opposed to Orlando places stay open really late in Miami. The bad is traffic on the highways so tell your husband to look for local routes just in case.
If you seriously leave your doors unlocked, you need to strongly reconsider. You are a statistic waiting to happen. PLEASE...LOCK your doors and stop living with that false sense of security. Chances are you may never be robbed and I hope you are not, but why take the chance ? Forget the robbing, imagine what they may do to you ? LOCK YOUR DOORS !!!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymeme View Post
I love the sunshine the fact that I leave my door unlock most of the times and blessed that nothing ever happens. I believe that the people who are robbed are by someone they know and people who leave there neighborhood to enter a territory that is unfamiliar to them with windows down, and doors unlocked asking to be robbed. It's not right what these crooks do but some people just don't safeguard themselves.
You don't lock your doors and then you judge others that get robbed? I don't get it. I hope you are just referring to your car doors. Please lock your doors and don't take unnecessary risks.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
KentuckyGirl1201,

I was born in Miami nad have lived here my entire life, except for college. Miami has changed for the worse. We tend to adapt and, as a result, the scale that we rate this city on may not be the same as people on the outside looking in. As you can see from the posts, even the people who "like" Miami are aware of the NUMEROUS problems but they say, "Oh, it's like that in any large city". Of course, many posters have provided statistic after statistic that says otherwise. It is a coping mechanism for some, blatant denial for others.
If you don't mind living in a city with high crime, low wages, angry rude people, bad traffic, HOT HOT summers, English-speakers as a minority, and where "Diversity" means Hispanics from 30 different countries then come on down. Everything else is nice here.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
KentuckyGirl1201,

I was born in Miami nad have lived here my entire life, except for college. Miami has changed for the worse. We tend to adapt and, as a result, the scale that we rate this city on may not be the same as people on the outside looking in. As you can see from the posts, even the people who "like" Miami are aware of the NUMEROUS problems but they say, "Oh, it's like that in any large city". Of course, many posters have provided statistic after statistic that says otherwise. It is a coping mechanism for some, blatant denial for others.
If you don't mind living in a city with high crime, low wages, angry rude people, bad traffic, HOT HOT summers, English-speakers as a minority, and where "Diversity" means Hispanics from 30 different countries then come on down. Everything else is nice here.
Why has Miami changed for the worse? If the crime has gotten worse then why is the traffic so heavy,wouldn't you think people would move out especially with low-paying jobs how can they afford the car and the gas to get around. If it is rude there why speak to anyone in the first place if that is the case,just go about your own business,however I don't believe it is rude as people say,not exactly southern hospitality maybe but not someone screaming your head off either when you speak politely to them.

Of course it is hot here you are in the tropics, even though classified as subtropics,there is so much difference in the way North Flortida and South Florida look and feel that one knows they are in a tropical climate here in Miami,but hey that is what air conditioning is for just as you need heat up north.

Hey if Miami looks so much different or has a third world look(I don't agree) along with multi-cultural diversity,that to me what makes Miami exciting,being different from any other city in the country,for it is one beautiful and dynamic city

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
What is it with Southern Hospitality.. there's more people in the south that give you the "you aint from around here boy " than rude people in miami.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Why has Miami changed for the worse? If the crime has gotten worse then why is the traffic so heavy,wouldn't you think people would move out especially with low-paying jobs how can they afford the car and the gas to get around.
Because those that have come to Miami for the most part come from much worse places (South/Central America or the Caribbean Islands) than Miami. To them Miami is a step up.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
This whole argument is stupid. Both sides are right and both are wrong. Let me lay out the facts here:

-Miami has lots of problems compared to other cities.
-The crime is worse than most cities, but not that much worse.
-The traffic in Miami is bad, but not as bad as L.A., NYC, or D.C.
-Miami isn't much worse than Orlando, Jacksonville, and Tampa in terms of crime, except that the population in Miami is bigger so there is more overall criminal activity. Its all relative.
-Miami has really nice areas and really bad areas. It is a misconception to describe the whole city as a "dump" or a 3rd world country. It is not New Orleans or Detroit.
-Miami has good and bad areas. Tourists tend to stay in good areas, so they'll never wind up seeing Hialeah or Opa-Locka. It is foolish to not visit Miami because there are bad areas or crime.
-Miami is a "fun" city like Vegas, NYC, and New Orleans. South Beach is a major draw for young people and tourists. It is not a laid-back, boring family city like Raleigh, NC.
-Many people who trash Miami speak mostly from an anti-Hispanic and anti-big-city platform. They never go to Miami or associate with people who live there, they just spew all of the negative stuff they hear on message boards and on tv. They hate Miami for the same reasons they hate NYC, New Orleans, and Detroit. Immigrants, poor people, welfare recipients, drugs, traffic, overcrowding, etc.
-Many people who defend Miami and say the people are "friendly" or the traffic "isn't bad" are ignorant and are just digging deep into the well. The people are un-friendly and the traffic is bad. Just admit it. The schools are horrible too, with the exception of a few in wealthier areas.
-If you really want to live in Miami, go for it. If you want it bad, the positives will outweigh the negatives. Its all about attitude. It can be a great place if you want it. It is about what you make of it. If you don't like Miami to begin with, don't move here. You'll probably hate it.
-It is VERY VERY HOT here most of the year. The winters are mild and beautiful. If you cannot take intense heat, hurricanes, storms, and rain, do not move here.
-The people here are very rude and inconsiderate.
-The drivers are the worst, most aggressive by far.
-Some parts of Miami, such as Hialeah, look like a 3rd world country, but most of Miami does not. There are large sections of Miami with newer, nice homes and neighborhoods.
-Miami does look different than most American cities. The city core is like nothing else in the U.S. The architecture is a mix of Art-Deco, mediterranean, futuristic condos, and old Florida-style homes.
-Miami is not Naples or Sarasota. If you want that, then move to those places. It amazes me that people expect Miami to be "more like America". Why do people want Miami to be exactly the same as the rest of FL? It is a unique city with unique aspects, and I'm glad it exists. Everybody should visit Miami at least once in their lives no matter what part of the country they live in.
-Miami is a great place to visit, period. You will have fun here.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
This whole argument is stupid. Both sides are right and both are wrong. Let me lay out the facts here:

-Miami has lots of problems compared to other cities.
-The crime is worse than most cities, but not that much worse.
-The traffic in Miami is bad, but not as bad as L.A., NYC, or D.C.
-Miami isn't much worse than Orlando, Jacksonville, and Tampa in terms of crime, except that the population in Miami is bigger so there is more overall criminal activity. Its all relative.
-Miami has really nice areas and really bad areas. It is a misconception to describe the whole city as a "dump" or a 3rd world country. It is not New Orleans or Detroit.
-Miami has good and bad areas. Tourists tend to stay in good areas, so they'll never wind up seeing Hialeah or Opa-Locka. It is foolish to not visit Miami because there are bad areas or crime.
-Miami is a "fun" city like Vegas, NYC, and New Orleans. South Beach is a major draw for young people and tourists. It is not a laid-back, boring family city like Raleigh, NC.
-Many people who trash Miami speak mostly from an anti-Hispanic and anti-big-city platform. They never go to Miami or associate with people who live there, they just spew all of the negative stuff they hear on message boards and on tv. They hate Miami for the same reasons they hate NYC, New Orleans, and Detroit. Immigrants, poor people, welfare recipients, drugs, traffic, overcrowding, etc.
-Many people who defend Miami and say the people are "friendly" or the traffic "isn't bad" are ignorant and are just digging deep into the well. The people are un-friendly and the traffic is bad. Just admit it. The schools are horrible too, with the exception of a few in wealthier areas.
-If you really want to live in Miami, go for it. If you want it bad, the positives will outweigh the negatives. Its all about attitude. It can be a great place if you want it. It is about what you make of it. If you don't like Miami to begin with, don't move here. You'll probably hate it.
-It is VERY VERY HOT here most of the year. The winters are mild and beautiful. If you cannot take intense heat, hurricanes, storms, and rain, do not move here.
-The people here are very rude and inconsiderate.
-The drivers are the worst, most aggressive by far.
-Some parts of Miami, such as Hialeah, look like a 3rd world country, but most of Miami does not. There are large sections of Miami with newer, nice homes and neighborhoods.
-Miami does look different than most American cities. The city core is like nothing else in the U.S. The architecture is a mix of Art-Deco, mediterranean, futuristic condos, and old Florida-style homes.
-Miami is not Naples or Sarasota. If you want that, then move to those places. It amazes me that people expect Miami to be "more like America". Why do people want Miami to be exactly the same as the rest of FL? It is a unique city with unique aspects, and I'm glad it exists. Everybody should visit Miami at least once in their lives no matter what part of the country they live in.
-Miami is a great place to visit, period. You will have fun here.
Very Good post. I have to agree with every single point you made. This is the kind of information that rational non-locals should be getting.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What is it with Southern Hospitality.. there's more people in the south that give you the "you aint from around here boy " than rude people in miami.
I'd say that it's about the same, only people say/think "you 'aint from around here boy" in Spanish, rather than English (and they may not say it to your face).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami