Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times

Advertisements

The sad part though is that's these posters have been whining for years and years, claiming to be victims, segregated in their own country and for whatever reason they're still here.

--------------

It's called Masochism.
They love to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Just like them dawgs licking their arse after a good kick.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 07-24-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGHenderson View Post
Miami Lakes schools: Bob Graham Education Center (PK-8) gets an 8, Miami Lakes Educational Center (9-12) gets a 9 on greatschools.net. both 4 star ratings... I'll look into those. Thanks
I think you would be pleased with either ML K-8 center. I know a number of teachers who are on staff at ML Ed. Center and they rave about their school. No real discipline or attendance problems and an extensive honors program.

That being said, I would still recommend living in Broward rather than Dade. My children live in PP and I drive/shop there all the time. IMO, quality of life is better in PP than it is in any part of Dade that would provide a tolerable commute to a job in N. Miami.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Don't forget "no peek Ingly"

To be fair though, she is not familiar with the region and I would give her the benefit of the doubt. I would be intimidated too if I read the nonsense that some people post here. It's ok to be negative, but not extremist and illogical.

Anybody reading some of these posters comments would think this place is a Spanish hell. This place is no paradise either, it just has the same problems any big city has. The sad part though is that's these posters have been whining for years and years, claiming to be victims, segregated in their own country and for whatever reason they're still here. You would think after a year or two they would have figured it out and would have moved to better pastures. There is an expression in Spanish for that, it translates "the children of Pain", those who love to suffer.
I hope MrsG pays attention to posts like this one and thinks multiple times before moving her family to Miami-Dade.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times
Mr Henderson
Please, be careful when you come to Miami
There are a lot of peeps that "hablan español" here.
The worst thing is the "coming on age" ceremonies of wealthy Hispanics there.
Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming
Please, don't come.

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-25-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 PM

47 posts, read 134,976 times
I'm not interested in defending myself, but if you read the title of my post it says, "relocating, no choice" so I'm just trying to get info on where and my family and I could live and be happy. I was surprised when reading this forum how many negative remarks there are about Miami and how many people are quick to tell someone not to come if they're asking questions and trying to figure out how to make the move. Yo hablo español so es no problema para mi, but some people seem to have a problem with it.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGHenderson View Post
I'm not interested in defending myself, but if you read the title of my post it says, "relocating, no choice" so I'm just trying to get info on where and my family and I could live and be happy. I was surprised when reading this forum how many negative remarks there are about Miami and how many people are quick to tell someone not to come if they're asking questions and trying to figure out how to make the move. Yo hablo español so es no problema para mi, but some people seem to have a problem with it.

Moderator cut: English Only It is funny how much people will complain and whine on here and then you arrive in Miami and realize how wonderful it is. I was coming down here thinking that I was going to get robbed on my way out and people would be mean to me everywhere. Things couldn't have been different and people are often very friendly with me. More than any other places in the USA i've been!

Althought I can't really help with the schools.. I can tell you that it will take a bit to adapt to a lot of the drivers.. I'm a 21 year old guy so of course i love it.. but somebody with children would probably think a bit differently :P

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-26-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times
depending on how much you are considering spending on a home there is a community called the country club of miami estates. this is a gated community and you have a choice of a home on a lake or a home on a golf course. these homes are in the $300-500k range and there are fewer than 200 homes in the developement. the homes all have huge lots and it is very very very very very very very safe. the surrounding public school district is the multi cultural one that is all of dade county but there are excellent private schools both secular and college prep within reasonable distance.

Golf Miami, FL - Country Club of Miami - Legendary Golf at Miami's Premier Public Golf Course

take a drive in there see if you like it. the realtor to ask is the Keyes company and the guy with the most expertise in there for that neighborhood is Ron Valentine. a real gem of a man who will work to see you get a fair deal. the best way to get there is miami gardens drive to bob o link dr turn north to guy del russo parkway inform the guard you want to look at residences to purchase and they will allow you in. after 9pm they only allow access after calling the residents.

one of my daughters lives in there and while it's too posh for the likes of me, (I prefer living dangerously in ugly and deadly miami gardens) my status conscious son in law is satisfied with applying the $100k we gave them into a home there rather than an almost paid off one where his wife grew up.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
OP- have you narrowed either your neighborhoods or your schools?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 AM

I've looked at a lot of the suggestions and without ever having visited, I keep coming back to Weston. The public schools are supposed to be excellent (Indian Trace, Country Isles). I'm just not sure we could afford Gulliver, or Pinecrest over the long haul ($20,000/kid/year x 12 years = $480,000!). The only Weston school issue seems to be overcrowding in the high school, but I believe I read they are building another high school and my kids are 3 & 5 so that shouldn't be an issue by the time they're high school age. And for the money, I think we can get the best housing situation (newer home, culdesac street, decent sized lot - half acre+, backyard pool, jacuzzi, BBQ & community pool). I think we're going to rent in Weston to see if the commute is bad and if we even like the community lifestyle. While we're there, we can look around at other areas and get a feel to see if we like something better. Thanks for asking (and reading of you got this far!)

Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Dadeguy, not sure where the housing info is on that link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami