Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,251,057 times

Advertisements

Even though I would eventually like to move away from South Florida, I am glad I was raised in Miami.

1) Back in the 70's and 80's Miami was considerably different than it is now in some aspects; same in others.

2) In some ways I feel it is an advantage in being raised in a large metro area as it gives you opportunities to learn "street smarts" or "city smarts".

3) Had the opportunity to enjoy some of the best nightlife around during my younger days. Been to many major cities in the US, not many places are better as far as night life than Miami. Yes, even though many people at clubs could be pretentious, materialistic, and fake, in general the night life in Miami is happening if that is your interest.

4) Greatly enjoyed the beautiful beaches of South Florida. Even though I don't anymore because it is an inconvenience due to congestion on the weekends, it is there if I want to go. Enjoyed it very much in my high school and college days.

5) I could much more appreciate some of the smaller metro areas with what I feel has a superior quality of life.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,271 times
^^^ Heck yeah! I dont blame you! My wife's family all native Miami'ns - they got the heck out too! To the NC mountians they went - and dont even wanna visit Miami again!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diannea16 View Post
I am a rare breed!! A native-Born! I have raised 3 daughters here and finally I am able to move out of this place. If I had to do it again I would not raise my kids here. I think Miami is a horrible place to raise kids and live in general. I have watched this place go down the drain for a long time! Everytime I go out of town, I realize that alot of the people here are rude, inconsiderate;I could go on. Colorado here I come!!!
-----

I guess that you will say the same thing about Colorado in no time. Just let the B.S pile.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,468,502 times
The original poster is way off. First, Miami is very different from the rest of FL and South FL. Growing up in Miami is far different than growing up in Broward County or Palm Beach County. And its the opposite of growing up in Tampa, Orlando, and Jax. Miami is a big city that is highly urbanized. There aren't as many strip malls here, but there are more big buildings and city-blocks. Its a big-city feel in Miami. The rest of FL like Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Orlando are where you find the endless strip malls. The rest of FL is way more laid back than Miami and way more spread out. Miami has a younger population than much of FL because it is no longer a retirement community like it was years ago. Its a young person's town. Miami is far more cultured than the rest of FL too. The Latin culture dominates, but there is a wide variety of different restaurants, nightlife, entertainment, etc. Miami has a much more "worldly" feel than the rest of FL. There is a lot to do in Miami, so it baffles me when somebody says it is "boring". I could see how you can think that Broward or Palm Beach is boring, but not Miami. There is too much to do in Miami for someone to call it boring.

Also, how is it that so many people grew up in Miami and lived here for 50 years and now suddenly hate Miami and never want to come back? What did Miami do to you that was so bad that you lived here for 50 years? If it was so bad, then why didn't you get out decades ago? I realized Miami changed, but geeze, there is no loyalty or appreciation for the place you grew up? Baffling.

And since when is it cool to hate Miami? Some people act like they are cool because they moved to some boring place like NC. There are a hundred places you can move to live a boring, laid-back suburbanite lifestyle, but there is only one Miami. Nowhere else is like it.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
-----

I guess that you will say the same thing about Colorado in no time. Just let the B.S pile.
Comparing Colorado to a place like Miami is beyond ridiculous. Sorry.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The original poster is way off. First, Miami is very different from the rest of FL and South FL. Growing up in Miami is far different than growing up in Broward County or Palm Beach County. And its the opposite of growing up in Tampa, Orlando, and Jax. Miami is a big city that is highly urbanized. There aren't as many strip malls here, but there are more big buildings and city-blocks. Its a big-city feel in Miami. The rest of FL like Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Orlando are where you find the endless strip malls. The rest of FL is way more laid back than Miami and way more spread out. Miami has a younger population than much of FL because it is no longer a retirement community like it was years ago. Its a young person's town. Miami is far more cultured than the rest of FL too. The Latin culture dominates, but there is a wide variety of different restaurants, nightlife, entertainment, etc. Miami has a much more "worldly" feel than the rest of FL. There is a lot to do in Miami, so it baffles me when somebody says it is "boring". I could see how you can think that Broward or Palm Beach is boring, but not Miami. There is too much to do in Miami for someone to call it boring.

Also, how is it that so many people grew up in Miami and lived here for 50 years and now suddenly hate Miami and never want to come back? What did Miami do to you that was so bad that you lived here for 50 years? If it was so bad, then why didn't you get out decades ago? I realized Miami changed, but geeze, there is no loyalty or appreciation for the place you grew up? Baffling.

And since when is it cool to hate Miami? Some people act like they are cool because they moved to some boring place like NC. There are a hundred places you can move to live a boring, laid-back suburbanite lifestyle, but there is only one Miami. Nowhere else is like it.
Nowhere else like Miami? That's the truth.

My wife's family lived there for yrs - in Miami Springs. Then they moved up to Broward Co. They got out in the early to mid 90's and moved to the mountains of NC. It's not boring there at all - but I guess it depends on what your likes and interests are.

They still have a little bit of love for S FL, but not much. They said it "used to be a nice place to live." They love where they are now. They are laid-back FL crackers, hate the aggressive drivers and rude people, the "rat race" as they like to call it. They enjoy lakes, rivers, and hunting - so it's no mistake that they would rather live in NC than S FL.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 PM

29 posts, read 97,075 times
I bet most of the peopple who hates Miami are white. Miami is like Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican republic. This is our style of living and not saying everyone but most of us are like this. In order to understand Miami and like it u must be from one this country.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,655 times
or just like the diversity. I love miami for it's diversity first and foremost. bringing up your kids where they have to be a minimum bilingual is a big leg up on the competition in the marketplace later on. our kids speak both spanish and english and can muddle through kreole. they speak with thick accents in spanish but they communicate and the spanish speakers they interact with are often times both open and helpful in correcting their pronounciation and syntax. it's a beautiful thing.

there will probably be some negative thinking posters on later to blast me saying that miami is not diverse. the fact is that many don't see the subtle differences between central american cultures or even the caribbean hispanics and the caribbean blacks. there are plenty of distinction between these cultures and I'm of the opinion that I'm richer for my interaction with all peoples.

sadly some of the people who share our community only see black and hispanic and consider both to be inferior to themselves and are happy to repeatedly remind us of their ignorance here and in the marketplace.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
Yes and no. The diversity and energy of Miami is unique and very enriching in many ways. However, the values and lifestyle is very difficult when trying to raise children - Miami moves a little too fast for tweens and teen IMO. So, like everything else - there is a lot of good and my children will miss many wonderful benefits of being raised in this city, but I think the decision to move elsewhere works better for my family.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Comparing Colorado to a place like Miami is beyond ridiculous. Sorry.
------

Your subjective opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami