Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Hialeah the city that progress - Moderator cut: English Only

If your childen are raised in a multicultural city that lives in the XXIth Century, they will be able to survive better in a uncertain future. You must not overprotect your children from the world, and yes, the world is changing.

If your children are raised in a "haven" that's about to be swept away, they will suffer a lot in the future.
It is also good to travel with your children at an early age and expose them to other languages and cultures. The chances are, they'll be less ignorant when they grow up if they've seen at least a bit of the world, as opposed to just watching it on television.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
It is also good to travel with your children at an early age and expose them to other languages and cultures. The chances are, they'll be less ignorant when they grow up if they've seen at least a bit of the world, as opposed to just watching it on television.
True, but it's hard to change a culture overnight.

Miami is not for everyone, especially for the white American culture and this is why:

Miami's population is mainly composed of immigrants. Most white Americans look down on other cultures and other languages and demand not only English in the United states (or "American" like some of them say) but also demand English to be spoken in other countries when they travel(I have seen Americans throwing tantrums at hotels & restaurants in Europe) When I travel to Europe I make sure I never say I am an American, because I know how hated they are everywhere.

The majority of Americans never travel further than Orlando to see The Mouse and think they can learn everything from Wikepedia, Survivor or Google maps. I said the majority though, not all white americans.

so no, I don't recommend anglos to raise their kids in Miami. You and your children will be miserable.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post

Miami is not for everyone, especially for the white American culture and this is why:

Miami's population is mainly composed of immigrants. Most white Americans look down on other cultures and other languages and demand not only English in the United states (or "American" like some of them say) but also demand English to be spoken in other countries when they travel(I have seen Americans throwing tantrums at hotels & restaurants in Europe) When I travel to Europe I make sure I never say I am an American, because I know how hated they are everywhere.

The majority of Americans never travel further than Orlando to see The Mouse and think they can learn everything from Wikepedia, Survivor or Google maps. I said the majority though, not all white americans.

so no, I don't recommend anglos to raise their kids in Miami. You and your children will be miserable.
A lot of generalizations in your post.

I think the remaining Anglos in Miami are far more cosmopolitan than you give them credit for being. Both of my children are 'Anglos' and they have no problem living in Miami. They certainly don't look down on immigrants - they know all too well that they are only one/two generations removed from their own immigrant heritage.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect English to be spoken in the US.

I'm sure there are some 'ugly Americans' who behave as you describe, but I think they are the ignorant minority. When I travel to Europe - surprise! a white American who zips right past Orlando - I do my best to adapt to the country I am visiting and even try to speak the language. Oh, and I am always proud to say I am an American. Then I promptly apologize for G.W. Bush.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post

I think you're generalizing about Anglo-Americans a little too much. Many do travel, learn other languages and expose their children to other cultures.

The problems in Miami are mainly Miami problems. I have experience rudeness and sheer hostility from all groups, including Anglo-Americans.

I've said it once, twice and many more times, but I'll say it again: Miami tends to attract the sort of people who really don't care for community spirit, or helping thy neighbor. That criticism applies to all, not just Hispanics.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
BCreass, you are totally correct. I just returned from North Carolina and the difference in the courtesy and respect among neighbors of friends that I know is different than my experience in general in Miami. There seems to be more of a community feeling in many (not all of course) communities up there. It is like they watch out for each other, respect each other, and take pride in their communities, homes, lawns, and the upbringing of their kids.

It is difficult to describe but it is like a different vibe, energy, that one feels up in Raleigh compared to Miami metro in general. Too many peoples demeanor and body language here in Miami seems like they are upset, mad, "don't talk to me" type of attitude, (even in customer service establishments and businesses). Too much agressive and hostile behavior down here. Less patient people, inpatient drivers, it is a different world.

I would like to conclude that the disrectful behavior that one could encounter here on a consistent basis is unreal. It is like if people accidentally cuts you off while driving, gets in your way, it is like "I don't care deal with my rudeness" type attitude. Guess what, it is contagious. One just has to do their part "like I do" and continue to be polite, courteous, and respectul to those I come in contact with. Sometimes, (very little though) that can rub off, even if temporary. One definitely has to be on alert at all times in Miami. It can definitely be a much more stressful place to live if one comes from a civilized US city with a good quality of life.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
BCreass, you are totally correct. I just returned from North Carolina and the difference in the courtesy and respect among neighbors of friends that I know is different than my experience in general in Miami. There seems to be more of a community feeling in many (not all of course) communities up there. It is like they watch out for each other, respect each other, and take pride in their communities, homes, lawns, and the upbringing of their kids.

It is difficult to describe but it is like a different vibe, energy, that one feels up in Raleigh compared to Miami metro in general. Too many peoples demeanor and body language here in Miami seems like they are upset, mad, "don't talk to me" type of attitude, (even in customer service establishments and businesses). Too much agressive and hostile behavior down here. Less patient people, inpatient drivers, it is a different world.

I would like to conclude that the disrectful behavior that one could encounter here on a consistent basis is unreal. It is like if people accidentally cuts you off while driving, gets in your way, it is like "I don't care deal with my rudeness" type attitude. Guess what, it is contagious. One just has to do their part "like I do" and continue to be polite, courteous, and respectul to those I come in contact with. Sometimes, (very little though) that can rub off, even if temporary. One definitely has to be on alert at all times in Miami. It can definitely be a much more stressful place to live if one comes from a civilized US city with a good quality of life.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. I have said pretty much the same thing repeatedly, but so often I get the "the people in NC are "fake" nice, thay arent "real" or even better, the "everyone in NC is friendly and crime does not occur and everyone speaks English" (basically being sarcastic). Trying to sweep the problems under the rug. OK, whatever. I say let them think what they want. If they wanna think the attitudes of people in Miami are normal, let it be. But we know.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM

18 posts, read 78,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
A small, very small portion of Miami is glitz and glamour. It's what's portayed on TV so ppl are drawn to it. Miami is one of the poorest cities in the nation, there is no doubt that the people there are among the most rude and difficut to be around. The crime's high, etc... this could make for a very difficult place to live in.
Miami, like any other city, is left to a subjective interpretation. After leaving for 4 years of college I really learned to appreciate Miami for what it is. I had access to a greater deal of culture and diversity than my friends who grew up in cities like Nashville or Atlanta or Richmond (which not too long ago had one of the worst violent crime rates in the nation) and even the New York metro burgs like Greenwich and Westchester. While I certainly consider the upper middle class Miami life a bubble of sorts, you really can't help but be exposed to different cultures and become more prepared for the diversity (class, ethnic, racial, religious, etc) that is enveloping this country.
It's definitely a nicer place when you can afford access to amenities that include some one of the best schools in the nation and world class restaurants and entertainment venues but I've always seen Miami as offering something for everyone in a way that no other city of its size and age has.
Lastly, I want to say, as someone who comes from a mixed, but partially Southern anglophile background, much of the negativity that is directed towards Miami as a Hispanic-dominated city comes from the history of that status. In essence, the Cubans established themselves in this city, (through cunning, hardwork and dexterity no less), without adopting the ruling class's culture and ideals. While this is not necessarily wrong in and of itself, it's not the American way. Furthermore, in doing so they have alienated and even discriminated against American-born whites and blacks who feel a (deserved) sense of entitlement to the city, one that they may have enahnced, (and desecrated to a degree) but did not found or establish. As a third generation Miamian, I know. This is what the gringos say in our secret underground meetings.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Bcreass

I suppose that by Anglo-Americans are you referring to Americans with Germanic background. I suppose you're not including British people.

English are no different from your current Miamiam. About their "community thing", and "friendliness", maybe before the war.

I deal with them on a daily basis, and after a few years here they go "native" and they adopt every trick locals have. I guess that they abandon their "Saxon" coat and become Celtic, their true stock. The stock of most people here.

The only "community thing" they have is Human Societies, they love critters. They have arranged and disciplined all stray cats and dogs in town. Quite admirable.

Germans and Scandinavians are different. Yes, they are a disciplined lot, regimented, they have that "community thing" in them, the "Hall" culture.

Americans are more like them, at least right now.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Miami as a Hispanic-dominated city comes from the history of that status. In essence, the Cubans established themselves in this city, (through cunning, hardwork and dexterity no less), without adopting the ruling class's culture and ideals. While this is not necessarily wrong in and of itself, it's not the American way. Furthermore, in doing so they have alienated and even discriminated against American-born whites and blacks who feel a (deserved) sense of entitlement to the city, one that they may have enahnced, (and desecrated to a degree) but did not found or establish. As a third generation Miamian, I know. This is what the gringos say in our secret underground meetings.

---------------

You said yourself that Miami is controlled by Hispanics, so the Ruling Class Culture is Hispanic. As to what you say it's "The American Way", Hispanics have their way, just as Italians, Jews, Polish, any other culture. "My Way".

As to language, Immigrants to a country DON'T lose their language and their culture anymore. That was a thing of the past. If a Greek or Russian immigrant arrives in the United States nowdays, if he's slightly cultured and not a piece of turd, he will worry that his progeny learns his language and culture.

Plus people nowdays have Internet and Dish antennas, so they are in constant communication with the old country.

As to "gringos", nobody says "gringos" in Miami and nobody cares what they might say in their catacombs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami