Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM

21 posts, read 85,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
In Miami you get so many immigrants who come from practically nothing, so Miami is a step up for virtually everyone from the 3rd world and Latin America, even in the worst parts of Miami. Yes, that means you, residents of Alapattah, Hialeah, Little Haiti... The problem with this is that standards for everything are lowered across the board.

First, When you have children, few people are willing to lower their standards just for the sake of moving someplace warm. Second, to assume that because Miami has a large immigrant population, that its OK to have lower standards is an insult to all the immigrant communities of Miami. The problem is the lack of community involvement and unity in Miami. People in general do not take pride in their neighborhoods or care about their neighbors. That is what is at the core of the problem in Miami. If people don't demand change and work to make the change happen, things stay the same and/or get worse.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDG375 View Post
First, When you have children, few people are willing to lower their standards just for the sake of moving someplace warm. Second, to assume that because Miami has a large immigrant population, that its OK to have lower standards is an insult to all the immigrant communities of Miami. The problem is the lack of community involvement and unity in Miami. People in general do not take pride in their neighborhoods or care about their neighbors. That is what is at the core of the problem in Miami. If people don't demand change and work to make the change happen, things stay the same and/or get worse.
You hit the nail right on the head there (see bold). It's a Miami problem, not a problem pertaining to specific groups of immigrants, or people who have been here for decades.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
IDG

The problem is that Spanish people are anarchic and extremelly individualistic, not only in Miami, anywhere else including Latin Europe.

They should learn to behave in a "Community".

In Latin countries, including Latin Europe, "your house is your castle", but they don't give a hoot about anything else.

Latins are "Gesellschaft" centered, but Germanics, on the contrary, are "Gemeinschaft" centered.

It's a matter of education.

The two models are in constant fight in Miami, not only in Miami, also in Europe in the places where the two civilizations collide.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
IDG

The problem is that Spanish people are anarchic and extremelly individualistic, not only in Miami, anywhere else including Latin Europe.

In Latin countries, including Latin Europe, "your house is your castle", but they don't give a hoot about anything else.

Latins are "Gesellschaft" centered, but Germanics, on the contrary, are "Gemeinschaft" centered.

The two models are in constant fight in Miami, not only in Miami, also in Europe in the places where the two civilizations collide.
Interesting point.....

Where does this happen in Europe though. in your opinion? I don't think Europe has a Miami, where there's such a mix of Latin/Anglo-Saxon or Saxon. Maybe Switzerland, but they seem to get along just fine?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Interesting point.....

Where does this happen in Europe though. in your opinion? I don't think Europe has a Miami, where there's such a mix of Latin/Anglo-Saxon or Saxon. Maybe Switzerland, but they seem to get along just fine?
The best example of which I can think is the southern Spanish coast, where large communities of Brits (and to a lesser extent, Germans) reside - many in gated, newly-built communities - amongst the native Spanish population. What's interesting is that many of these people live there for years without learning Spanish well; though this can annoy the locals, this does not really happen with the young people, who tend to grow up as hybrid British-Spanish.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
The best example of which I can think is the southern Spanish coast, where large communities of Brits (and to a lesser extent, Germans) reside - many in gated, newly-built communities - amongst the native Spanish population. What's interesting is that many of these people live there for years without learning Spanish well; though this can annoy the locals, this does not really happen with the young people, who tend to grow up as hybrid British-Spanish.
That's true. I know a lot of Brits emigrate to the Spanish coast (EU citizenship is a beautiful thing), mostly for the weather and because it's still cheaper to buy property (I believe). Still, I don't know why they would move there and not want to learn the language, in this case, Spanish.

Eventually (in a few decades), there will be a lot of Spanish people with last names such as Jones, Wilson or Smith....interesting

Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 PM

21 posts, read 85,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
IDG

I agree with you 100% on this. I come from a big Hispanic family, Cuban, PR/Dominican, and if you are familiar with the strong Caribbean culture, you know what I'm talking about!!! In Miami, as in other parts of the US such as Southern CA, you see a lot of Latin American immigrants who refuse to integrate. Now when I say integrate, I don't mean abandon your cultural identity and abandon your roots. I mean LEARN ENGLISH. I mean learn how people do business in this country and learn to act like a community. Learn to care about your community and become involved, instead of complaining about the problem and doing nothing to change it. That is what Miami is sorely lacking, that sensibility of positive integration.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Bcreass

A Miami in Europe?
Maybe Marbella, in Malaga, Spain.
A fancy and corrupt city with millionaires living alongside poor people.
Political clientele.
Illegal immigration.
A mess with tens of thousand condos built illegally.
A lot of Money Laundering and Arab money through Gibraltar (Tax Haven)
Russian Mafia, Camorra, N'dragetta, Politicos.
Drugs, Morroco is a few miles south.
A lot of beautiful women from all over the world chasing money...
A lot of Rolls, Ferraris, Lamborginis. I don't know if those cars are rented, but I bet that would be a good business there.
As to language issues, no language issues that I know of.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
--------

Crisp

English living in Spain are having problems because prices are almost the same in many things, and the British Pound is way down.

No, they don't learn Spanish, only three magic words: "Cerveza", "Sangria", "Paella". No, people don't care. British sort of speak Spanish with a few pints on them and they are all against Real Madrid and are Barça supporters, so they are popular.

English are kind of similar to people here, they are reserved, love gossip and are barflies. Germans are entirely different, not so social, but nice people.

Scottish are fans of any Spanish team playing against England, and Irish are sort of Spanish that drink beer.

Scottish are quite popular here, their character is similar.

People here are used to English, more than 10 million come every year, some have been coming for 50 years and they are like family, so happens with Germans.

Young kids yes, but they don't have many kids since most are retired.

Many British with some means buy old country houses in the countryside, they fix the house and some grow wine. They are settling abandoned areas of Catalonia. There are many in the area where I have a little farm house, in Tarragona.

As to "gated communities", we don't have them around here, maybe in Andalusia. I know there are gated communities in Madrid.

No, English are not "Germanic-minded" like Germans, they are more independent. I don't find many similarities between English and Americans. Maybe they were similar centuries ago. I think that Americans are more similar to Germans or Scandinavians.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 08-03-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
That's true. I know a lot of Brits emigrate to the Spanish coast (EU citizenship is a beautiful thing), mostly for the weather and because it's still cheaper to buy property (I believe). Still, I don't know why they would move there and not want to learn the language, in this case, Spanish.

Eventually (in a few decades), there will be a lot of Spanish people with last names such as Jones, Wilson or Smith....interesting

---------------

Bcreass

English don't need Spanish here. People don't get mad if the speak English or with their hands.

But now that you mention, they kind of speak Spanish, they have their little booklets with "important words", etc.

They have been coming here for so many years that now they eat "squid", (not many years ago they were scared of squids and mussels). The only fish they ate was "Fish and chips".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami