Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM

18 posts, read 103,709 times

Advertisements

I am coming to Miami for a few days after visiting Orlando. We are going to stop in Miami Beach. I really want to see a Dolphins game when I am there. We are not hiring a car (no credit cards). How easy is it to get to Landshark stadium on public transport from Miami Beach. Also I believe the surrounding area of the stadium is quite rough so as I have kids would it be better to get a cab. Do they put entertainment on for kids around the stadium before the game? Also is it better to buy tickets from Dolphins website before travelling or will it be ok to get them on gameday? We are thinking of coming in October so weatherwise is it better the 1st half of the month or the 2nd half.
Lastly what other attarctions are there for kids in and around Miami and is public transport safe to use around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2211 View Post
I am coming to Miami for a few days after visiting Orlando. We are going to stop in Miami Beach. I really want to see a Dolphins game when I am there. We are not hiring a car (no credit cards). How easy is it to get to Landshark stadium on public transport from Miami Beach. Also I believe the surrounding area of the stadium is quite rough so as I have kids would it be better to get a cab. Do they put entertainment on for kids around the stadium before the game? Also is it better to buy tickets from Dolphins website before travelling or will it be ok to get them on gameday? We are thinking of coming in October so weather-wise is it better the 1st half of the month or the 2nd half.
Lastly what other attractions are there for kids in and around Miami and is public transport safe to use around the city.
The only public transport from Miami Beach is bus. I would not recommend a bus in your situation, probably better to spend the extra money for a cab, but who knows?

In either case, I would say purchase tickets well in advance.

Whether you come in early or late October would first be determined by the Dolphins home schedule and the availability of tickets. To be sure, it is a bit cooler in October than in August and September, and probably cooler in late October than in early October, but the real change doesn't usually come until November. In short, it probably doesn't matter.

Apart from buses, Miami has the Metrorail, mainly useful for the downtown/Brickell/Roads/Coconut Grove/University of Miami/South Miami/Dadeland segment. Downtown Miami/Brickell also has the Metromover. You should do a search for both and download maps. There are also bus maps that you can download.

In Miami, you probably also want to see some of the aquatic museums and possibly botanical gardens that are specific to the region's geography, maybe a trip to the Everglades if you want to venture further out on a day trip, these kinds of attractions are unique to the region and probably educational for the kids.

As for safety on public transportation, probably much safer during the day than after dark. Buses can be confusing, time-consuming and chaotic, especially with children. I don't recommend them, especially in your case, perhaps it would be better to join a tour bus group for an excursion at some point.

I imagine that Miami-Dade has some kind of tourist site, you might do well to search for it.

Finally, in the past six months or so, even within the past month, there have been threads on this Miami sub-forum on must-see attractions for tourists, as well as Miami for kids-type threads. Scroll through previous thread titles or use the sub-forum search tool, it can be very useful.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:45 AM

18 posts, read 103,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The only public transport from Miami Beach is bus. I would not recommend a bus in your situation, probably better to spend the extra money for a cab, but who knows?

In either case, I would say purchase tickets well in advance.

Whether you come in early or late October would first be determined by the Dolphins home schedule and the availability of tickets. To be sure, it is a bit cooler in October than in August and September, and probably cooler in late October than in early October, but the real change doesn't usually come until November. In short, it probably doesn't matter.

Apart from buses, Miami has the Metrorail, mainly useful for the downtown/Brickell/Roads/Coconut Grove/University of Miami/South Miami/Dadeland segment. Downtown Miami/Brickell also has the Metromover. You should do a search for both and download maps. There are also bus maps that you can download.

In Miami, you probably also want to see some of the aquatic museums and possibly botanical gardens that are specific to the region's geography, maybe a trip to the Everglades if you want to venture further out on a day trip, these kinds of attractions are unique to the region and probably educational for the kids.

As for safety on public transportation, probably much safer during the day than after dark. Buses can be confusing, time-consuming and chaotic, especially with children. I don't recommend them, especially in your case, perhaps it would be better to join a tour bus group for an excursion at some point.

I imagine that Miami-Dade has some kind of tourist site, you might do well to search for it.

Finally, in the past six months or so, even within the past month, there have been threads on this Miami sub-forum on must-see attractions for tourists, as well as Miami for kids-type threads. Scroll through previous thread titles or use the sub-forum search tool, it can be very useful.

Welcome and good luck!
Thankyou for the advice mate. I look forward to visiting your wonderful city

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2211 View Post
I am coming to Miami for a few days after visiting Orlando. We are going to stop in Miami Beach. I really want to see a Dolphins game when I am there. We are not hiring a car (no credit cards). How easy is it to get to Landshark stadium on public transport from Miami Beach. Also I believe the surrounding area of the stadium is quite rough so as I have kids would it be better to get a cab. Do they put entertainment on for kids around the stadium before the game? Also is it better to buy tickets from Dolphins website before travelling or will it be ok to get them on game day? We are thinking of coming in October so weatherwise is it better the 1st half of the month or the 2nd half.
Lastly what other attarctions are there for kids in and around Miami and is public transport safe to use around the city.
Well first you are going to want to check the Miami Dolphins Schedule and buy tickets ASAP since some games can sell out fast. The Dolphins did well last year so if they are winning the games will be sold out, The later in October the better since you have less of a chance of a Hurricane but see what games there are. As for public transit. IT SUCKS! The biggest problem Miami has is its poor public transit I highly recommend you find a way to hire a car, if not take a cab but the cab will cost you at least $45 each way. There is a ton of things to do at dolphins games, I am not 100% sure why type of things there are to do for the kids, sometimes it depends on how big of a game it is etc.. Public Transit is safe to use in Miami Beach at night an safe just about anywhere you would want to go during the day, again it sucks if you are staying in Miami Beach you should be okay since there are easy bus transfers to Downtown and the Metro rail but the Metro rail does not take you to too many places.
Things for the kids:
Children Museum, Miami Aquarium, Metro Zoo (one of the largest in the country) Impossible to take public transit cab would cost $60 each way) The science museum in Ft. Lauderdale is a good one, forgot the name but again it would be a nightmare with public transit.
The best thing for the kids though in Miami is haning around the pool of beach. Miami has some of the best rated beaches in the world. Also check out the Venetian Pool. very cool place.

Enjoy Miami, make sure the Dolphins have a home game when your here obviously and have fun! You really should think about trying to find a way to rent a car, without one I recommend just hanging out on Miami Beach most of the day unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on Cabs.

Oh yea as said above the Everglades is great! It is just about the most interesting eco-system in the world and you get a chance to see a lot of wildlife like Aligators in their natural habbitat. Also there is Biscayne National Park which is home to a large Coral Reef, depending on how old your children are maybe you would want to take a day trip there and do some snorkling both National Parks are within 60 minute drive of Downtown Miami (another great thing about Miami is its natural beauty and habitat.)

Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
There's a nice spot called the Bayside Marketplace that's nice for kids. There's a cool speedboat ride called the Thriller boat that will take you around Biscayne bay. Also there is a Pirate boat tour of biscayne bay. The children's museum is nice for children younger than 10. Without a doubt though the headline event in Miami is the beach and the ocean. Incredibly beautiful. Check with the lifeguard before you go in the water for any issues since there are jellyfish and rip currents you need to know about. Go to Lincoln Road to eat. They have food as good as on Ocean Drive but for less. If you want THE delicacy of South Florida, go to Joe's Stone Crabs for stone crabs.

Regarding public Transit, I lived in SoBe for years and never had any concerns, but with my 9 year old in tow, I did have second thoughts about certain bus stops in Miami proper. There's a lot of zombies in Downtown MIA mainly at night. My rec: do whatever you want in the day, skip the Miami nightlife, it's not for kids. Also note the beach clears out at night. After dark you will find creeps out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami