Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 33,414 times

Advertisements

I'm a "gringo" and love Miami. I'm certain that TV paints a far different picture of the city than what reality actually is, but I would live there in a heartbeat. Personally, I love the Latin influence. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but feeling like I'm in another country while being down there is actually part of the appeal to me. The Latin culture/food/heritage makes Miami more attractive IMO.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times
Roger

Let's see.
No white hispanic ever uses the word "Gringo". Gringo is a Mexican word.
Americans are called "Americans".
As to Spanish becoming the main language, well, you left the place and you should blame American corporations.
For example, if you go to a McDonalds and they speak to you in Spanish, who's to blame?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 AM

29 posts, read 97,083 times
u r wrong. Gringo is not a racist term, the term is joust refering to peopple who lives in n. america and has been born and raised in the states does not matter if u black,white,hispanic or others.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Gringo is a racist Mexican term used to refer to white Americans.
Gringos = Green coats.
In southern Florida the term is totally irrelevant.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Roger

Let's see.
Gotta disagree with you there. I don't know how long you have lived in Miami but I did from 1971 to 1997 and still have family and friends down there and gringo is still used as much today as it ever was. It's not necessarily meant in a derogatory way, but believe me Cuban, Columbian and many of my other hispanic friends still use the word quite often.

As for your question about spanish speaking corporations require spanish, I don't have a problem with that. But there are many small businesses that are local including some doctors offices in areas that were in no way hispanic but would only hire felllow hispanics sometimes in order to avoid hiring African Americans. Believe me I have worked in many of them sadly.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Roger

Let's see.
As to Spanish becoming the main language, well, you left the place and you should blame American corporations.
For example, if you go to a McDonalds and they speak to you in Spanish, who's to blame?
Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a Spanish word used in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, generally to denote people from the United States. The term can be applied to any person who is known, or assumed to be from the United States regardless of race, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into American society and culture.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Gringo is a racist Mexican term used to refer to white Americans.
Gringos = Green coats.
In southern Florida the term is totally irrelevant.
U r wrong. Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a Spanish word used in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, generally to denote people from the United States. The term can be applied to any person who is known, or assumed to be from the United States regardless of race, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into American society and culture. Contrary to some beliefs,"gringo" is not a derogatory term

Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Kathleen

I repeat, Gringo was never used to designate Americans in Dade.
For Cubans, Americans are called "Americans".
Of course, if you go to local "Mom and Pa" shops and doctor offices, of course, they need Spanish speaking staff.
As to the fact that they don't hire AA, that's another issue that needs to be solved by the authorities.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD09 View Post
U r wrong. Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a Spanish word used in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, generally to denote people from the United States. The term can be applied to any person who is known, or assumed to be from the United States regardless of race, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into American society and culture. Contrary to some beliefs,"gringo" is not a derogatory term

-----

Well, yes, the word is used in Mexico and most Spanish (and non-Spanish) people know the word thanks to Hollywood.

But they word is not used by Latins living in South Florida.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 08-05-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM

537 posts, read 291,980 times
I never use the word "gringo" when referring to Americans, but my South and Central Americans friends do. For Americans of Cuban descent Americans are "americanos or yankees." The communist Cubans call USA "el imperio Yankee" not "el imperio gringo."

Last edited by Cairo46; 08-05-2009 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami