Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 AM

29 posts, read 97,057 times

Advertisements

Joust wondering why white americans from the north hate so much Miami. Is it because theres lots of hispanics?

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-05-2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: racist term

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
Gringos as in meaning white americans....I don't think they hate Miami. I think there is more of a love affair and fascination with it for being exotic, steamy and sexy.

PEOPLE in general that hate Miami dislike the relentless heat and humidity, low paying jobs, high prices, traffic, crime, big city problems, unfamiliar local culture and physical distance from the rest of the country.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Maybe to live in Miami because they experience culture shock. But most of my white American friends LOVE Miami and always want to come down and visit. Most would love to live there too. As long as you are educated and have a decent job Miami is a great place to live.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
I think Chelito pretty much summed it up.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Gringos as in meaning white americans....I don't think they hate Miami. I think there is more of a love affair and fascination with it for being exotic, steamy and sexy.

PEOPLE in general that hate Miami dislike the relentless heat and humidity, low paying jobs, high prices, traffic, crime, big city problems, unfamiliar local culture and physical distance from the rest of the country.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

And the annual threat of a hurricane wiping out everything you own....

Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,168 times
"Gringos" hate South Florida because when they arrive, they find that the place is in control of White people that speak Spanish that consider that they are "Sub-standard".

Let's put it in historical terms.

It would be like if when American settlers that invaded La Florida in 1824 illegally, a Spanish Territory administered from Havana, those rascals would have encontered a far superior Spanish civilization, with more money and more political connections than them, that scorned their stupid and primitive ways.

Not only that, a civilization more American than them, more patriotic, that devoted many of their children to American Wars and that considered them Liberal and anti-American.

By the way, Gringo is a word used by mestizo mexicans, not by white people.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APD09 View Post
Joust wondering why gringos from the north hate so much Miami. Is it because theres lots of hispanics?

Some don't like it because they were originally from Miami and after having spent sometimes decades there felt driven away by the influx of the Hispanic community and the changes that took place including loss of jobs.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APD09 View Post
Joust wondering why Moderator cut: racist term white americans from the north hate so much Miami. Is it because theres lots of hispanics?
Firstly, "Gringo" is a racist term, like calling someone a "****" or the dreaded "n-word". You should say "white people" if you are being race-specific or "Americans" if you are being nationality-specific.

Many Whites were born in Miami and they remember a very different Miami than it has become under majority-hispanic rule. It is quite natural to feel some resentment to a group of people that have come in to your house (city), taken over, and changed it for the worse (in one's opinion). You can disagree or not but that is how many people feel. As for whites or Americans from up north maybe they just expect Miami to be like their hometown plus good weather and when they get here they find out it is somethign else entirely.

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-05-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,168 times
Kathleen

But are Spanish-speaking Miamians guilty for the fact that Companies, American Companies, require Spanish?

Miami is the place where the entire Latin American continent goes to shop, buy real state and invest.

They should complain to American Corporations there, because most Latins that come to Miami to buy and invest can get by in English.

For example, Cubans, before communism, went to shop to Miami, and they never complained about language.

Yes, I'm in favour that all employees speak English to English speaking customers.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 08-05-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami