Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times

Advertisements

Hispanics have been fascinated with interracial mutt making for centuries. That is why you have countries like Brazil, Cuba, and Mexico, where 90% of the population is a either mestizo, mulatto, or a "dark Mediterranean" blend.

Here is a 19th century chart depicting Hispanic fascination with the subject.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 AM

199 posts, read 475,722 times
"Mutts" were produced out of necessity in colonial times for the Spanish. Nothing wrong with that. Some stunning types have been produced because of it. Nowadays, seems like "Anglo" girls are into making mutts.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
"Mutts" were produced out of necessity in colonial times for the Spanish. Nothing wrong with that. Some stunning types have been produced because of it. Nowadays, seems like "Anglo" girls are into making mutts.
I think the just likes to use the word "mutt" because it sounds like dogs and he likes to offend hispanics. It must make him feel superior or something. This is not being used with a good connotation. In this place it's ok to compare ethnicities with dogs as long as it is not "anglos" that you are insulting. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Hispanics have been fascinated with interracial mutt making for centuries.
I wouldn't call it "fascination". Some people just don't care so much about skin color. The only "fascination" I see here is the obsession some posters have here with the whiteness of their skin, that they always feel a need to hijack every thread with this white nonsense, and that includes hispanics and non hispanics. If you like yours and want to preserve it fine, nobody is stopping you, but I'm tired of hearing all this white hispanic nonsense and the pureness of white non hispanics. Enough!

And one last thing, believe or not, some of us are very proud to be mixed, we were taught that since little to be proud of our Amerindian and african heritage, so keep your pictures to yourself, we have seen them before.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 08-17-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 PM

160 posts, read 854,351 times
Default There definitely is racial tension

It happens - young anlgos/caucasins mix with latins in Miami that much is true, now if you were to ask me if anglos are socially accepted into the latin community and if that's normal I would say NO. Especially in Miami where you find a city that is built on the latin culture. You may find it very difficult to fit in. The latins in Miami are not usually accepting to other cultures as they are to their own, but that also has to do with how aggressive you are to meet others in Miami various other factors.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
Do young cubans and other hispanics in Miami date and make friends with anglos or do young hispanics stay mostly amongst themselves? I am thinking of relocating to Miami and I would like to know how young hispanics interact with anglos in Miami.
If you are Italian-American (born in US) and can speak some Spanish with a nice accent and can appreciate your Latin heritage (Italians are Latin too), you will have no problem to get into relationships with the Latin people here. The same rule applies to other hyphenated Americans from European Latin countries (although Italian-Americans are the largest group).

Those that will have the most problem are the mainstream American white gringos from the north whose ancestors are from non-Latin countries. It will be hard for these people unless their Spanish is stellar and/or they have a deep appreciation for Latin culture. If you have that, then you too will be able to integrate into the dating scene just fine, but you'll have to speak in Spanish all the time if you are in groups and everyone else speaks Spanish. Why should everyone switch because you don't know the language here?

I won't even get into the Brazilians here, but let's just say that if you are an anglo-gringo-NHW that speaks Portuguese, you are IN, baby and you may never want to leave.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
If you are Italian-American (born in US) and can speak some Spanish with a nice accent and can appreciate your Latin heritage (Italians are Latin too), you will have no problem to get into relationships with the Latin people here. The same rule applies to other hyphenated Americans from European Latin countries (although Italian-Americans are the largest group).

Those that will have the most problem are the mainstream American white gringos from the north whose ancestors are from non-Latin countries.
Yea, just like gringos stick out like sore thumbs in most other barrios throughout the U.S. Miami is no different. That is why Hispanics in Miami have a hard time making white friends - the whites have all moved out of the barrio. Many Hispanics have done the same as well, choosing to assimilate.

Funny how this is such a major issue here in Miami - other parts of the country generations X and Y have virtually no problems dating, making friends, etc. In Miami it is hard to do because everybody clings to their own culture and their friends from "back home"...

Last edited by cuba libre; 08-17-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
Do young cubans and other hispanics in Miami date and make friends with anglos or do young hispanics stay mostly amongst themselves? I am thinking of relocating to Miami and I would like to know how young hispanics interact with anglos in Miami.
Of course, it happens, but in my case, I have found it virtually impossible to make friends here. I don't necessarily think that's because Miami is so Hispanic....I just tend to think that Miami attracts a lot of people (from all races) whom I have nothing much in common with.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM

52 posts, read 102,746 times
Sure, but here's the thing- the city of Miami is 60% populated by Latin-American people, so you'll mostly see hispanic people with hispanic people. Now, Broward county, which is north of Miami-Dade county is not as populated by hispanic people as Miami, though you still find lots, lots of hispanic people there, but it is more common to see non-hispanic white people dating hispanic people. I can include myself on that. I lived in Broward for a couple of years, I am hispanic and dated a non-hispanic white girl.

I'm just saying this for the fact, but the truth is we are on the 21st century, and we no longer have barriers between the different races, do we?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
I just tend to think that Miami attracts a lot of people (from all races) whom I have nothing much in common with.
Like cheating or stealing so they can buy their first sports car in the USA...

Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Like cheating or stealing so they can buy their first sports car in the USA...
More like:

- Constant partying, clubbing, etc (not my scene, grew out of that a long time ago)
- The "me, me, me" mentality
- The general lack of respect in Miami
- MPS (Miami Princess Syndrome)
- Listening to music that I generally don't like
- Driving like maniacs with no regard for others
- The general tendency here of people wanting to take advantage (gotta keep your guard up)
- A lot of people in Miami seem very "clique" oriented, i.e. "it 'aint what you know, it's who you know", sort of thing
- Many people down here are too dramatic and highly strung

I'm sure I can think of more, but that just about sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami