Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times

Advertisements

my parents and my sister still live in west hialeah just east of the palmetto and south of 138/135 st. the neighborhood has gone almost completely hispanic but still nice. hialeah offers great services and low taxes the schools are the equal of any other in the county and though rapidly becoming treeless is still a great place to live and raise a family if you don't want to pay big bucks for shelter.

I suppose it comes down to preferences but I would rather keep my fixed costs low to ensure that irrespective of the economy I won't get into financial trouble. the only way I know how to do that is by living modestly and that includes my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I spent a couple months in Colombia not too long ago on a solo travel, and I have to say that although that country is quite chaotic .. the people are pretty good. There's always crime with desperate people in poverty.. but for the most part the girls I met had more morals than most americans, and I didn't see much of this "latin thug culture" so many people talk about on here. If you want my opinion, I think a lot of it comes from the latins mixing with the black people in the poorer parts of town. Granted there are always special cases... like the rich white boys who want to be black.. but for the most part it isn't so much a latin thing as much as it is people living in the places with less money.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
East Hialeah isn't all bad. There's a section of East Hialeah (near Okeechobee) that is basically an extension of Miami Springs....beautiful, trees, lawns and all that jazz. Past the Publix there, I've also noticed some nice, new townhomes and many trees being planted. I suspect that in a few years time, the area will look a lot greener.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I spent a couple months in Colombia not too long ago on a solo travel, and I have to say that although that country is quite chaotic .. the people are pretty good. There's always crime with desperate people in poverty.. but for the most part the girls I met had more morals than most americans, and I didn't see much of this "latin thug culture" so many people talk about on here. If you want my opinion, I think a lot of it comes from the latins mixing with the black people in the poorer parts of town. Granted there are always special cases... like the rich white boys who want to be black.. but for the most part it isn't so much a latin thing as much as it is people living in the places with less money.

Not sure how Latin Thug culture equates to Colombia as Hialeah is overwhelmingly Cuban ... I travel to Colombia on business and Bogota is a cultural gem with very educated and professional people ... same for Medellin add to that to some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen and a pro - American government and our only true ally in Latin America and it is another world from Hialeah . You do not see teens in Colombia anywhere with their pants hanging down on their thighs and their nasty underwear hanging out ... you do not see the backwards caps , or excessive tatoos or gold chains ... I am currently in Brazil and have not seen that either .... the "Thug Culture " in Miami seems to come from the more "Caribbean Hispanics " like Cubans , Dominicans and Puerto Ricans with their regaetton and plucked "Daddy Yankee" eye brows and hair cuts !!

I have a great many Cuban American friends who are also horrified at what they see in some of their youth .... ghetto to the max and especially in Hialeah , Westchester , Miami Springs , Kendall and other areas ... sorry but I call it as I see it

Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Rock Newman is absolutely right. It is the emmulation of the thug culture, this is what I meant when I said that the second generation Hispanics in East Hialeah had the worst of both American and Latin culture. They emmulate what they see on tv...and it is true, in Latin America only the most impoverished areas see a few gangbangers or drug dealers that act this way. Here it is more mainstream which is what makes the difference.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Not sure how Latin Thug culture equates to Colombia as Hialeah is overwhelmingly Cuban ... I travel to Colombia on business and Bogota is a cultural gem with very educated and professional people ... same for Medellin add to that to some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen and a pro - American government and our only true ally in Latin America and it is another world from Hialeah . You do not see teens in Colombia anywhere with their pants hanging down on their thighs and their nasty underwear hanging out ... you do not see the backwards caps , or excessive tatoos or gold chains ... I am currently in Brazil and have not seen that either .... the "Thug Culture " in Miami seems to come from the more "Caribbean Hispanics " like Cubans , Dominicans and Puerto Ricans with their regaetton and plucked "Daddy Yankee" eye brows and hair cuts !!

I have a great many Cuban American friends who are also horrified at what they see in some of their youth .... ghetto to the max and especially in Hialeah , Westchester , Miami Springs , Kendall and other areas ... sorry but I call it as I see it

miami springs and doral are the worst, im 16 i know what im talking about, kendall does have ghetto parts though with a poorer population than miami springs. even though tehy have nice coockie cutter town homes. still doesnt mean someone is rich

Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,370 times
Red face East Hialeah

As someone also looking to relocate to Miami from CHicago[Ive been reading these forums-This was just too funny-I had to reply-Thanks for the heads up-I am going now to watch the 4 twilight zones i need to clear from my dvr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Whenever I see the Spanish language court shows where the parties involved are drugged out or just totally dysfunctional I immediately think of East Hialeah, no joke. It is just an area where people that have a few screws loose tend to live and congretate. Of course there are normal people there too however if we had to pull certain zip codes out of the Dade county gene pool, East Hialeah would be one of them.

And wow from IOWA to East Hialeah????? PM me we HAVE to talk! If you are looking for the Hispanic experience it can be done much nicer in other areas, East Hialeah is only convenient if you work in a nearby factory and like to be surrounded by industrial areas, railroads, ghettos, the airport and some of the ugliest and most tree devoid areas in South Florida. No no no! Look into Little Havana first, it has a more Hispanic look and feel, a lot of Hialeah has the second generation Cuban Americans so it is a hybrid place of the worst "American" values combined with the worst of Cuban values, well that is my opinion. There are some decent people there, but basically people there tend to live up to and exceed stereotypes. However it would be interesting to do a sociological study on this very weird area. East Hialeah is Dade County's answer to the Twilight Zone or Zona Crepuscular in Spanish lol...actually in correct Spanish it is translated as the "Dimensión desconocida" but I figured most people wouldn't know that one! I can already hear the theme music lol

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
my parents and my sister still live in west hialeah just east of the palmetto and south of 138/135 st. the neighborhood has gone almost completely hispanic but still nice.
That is a nice, middle class area. It is mostly Cuban-American, but there are still some Anglos around there.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
miami springs and doral are the worst, im 16 i know what im talking about, kendall does have ghetto parts though with a poorer population than miami springs. even though tehy have nice coockie cutter town homes. still doesnt mean someone is rich
There are no "ghetto" parts of Miami Springs, Kendall, or Doral. These are all decent places and have many middle-to-upper-income professionals living there. Around where you live (Flagami) is much more run-down than anywhere you have named.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 PM

62 posts, read 218,728 times
I live in pinecrest, it is not a ghetto. I like it here, I can take the train to work every day, my neighbors are mixed, white, hispanic, asian, black, the schools are good, it is close to shopping, fitness centers, community center and community college. The rent is reasonable. I like being close to UM, has a college town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami