Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florida for over 15 years (Fort Myers and Orlando areas), been to Miami more times than I can count, and I can honestly say moving to San Diego was one of the best things I've ever done. It *is* more expensive as far as taxes and housing, but it is a FAR better place to live, IMHO.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times
conversely I lived in san diego for about one year. I did enjoy certain aspects (ocean beach, la jolla, torrey pines a quick trip to baja) but miami is far more dynamic and much more interesting a place to live.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 AM

107 posts, read 338,500 times
I lived in San Diego for several years. But the cost of housing drove me and my family out after our kids were born. I have studied Miami and i visit often. IMHO, both San Diego and Miami are similar. Miami has more crime, but SD. is right next to TJ.(crime and drugs central). Both cities have good weather and decent job prospects. I guess i would choose SD. if you can afford it. Plus with SD. is only 2 hrs. drive to LA. Which is a mega city that offers many kinds of activities and events. Still Miami is a good alternate, slightly more affordable and better beaches. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
I don't see how you can compare the weather. San Diego is a much more comfortable
climate unless you like walking around like your in a sauna(Florida)

Nothing like a warm day and a cool night.

I miss being able to sleep with the windows open even in the summer and a getting a cool breeze. In CA in July, you can do that, can't tell you the last time you could open a window in FL and a get a cool breeze. March?

Scenery wise you can't beat Southern CA,you have the ocean but you also have the mountains.

The FL beaches may be nicer, but that is about it.

FL is nice in the winter and very early spring, IMO.

But to say they are similar, I don't see that at all.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 AM

804 posts, read 2,401,919 times
choose LA. People lie about it being awefull b/c they're jealous. LA isnt really at all those thing Newman said in the begining of the thread. He exaggerates. LAis the best.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:02 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
choose LA. People lie about it being awefull b/c they're jealous. LA isnt really at all those thing Newman said in the begining of the thread. He exaggerates. LAis the best.
Unless it has changed for the better since I lived there , based on what friends that still live in Santa Monica and Valencia tell me ... then no I am not exaggerating . Tell me about crime , foreclosures , illegal immigration , no jobs , cost of living , etc , etc .... all issues that Miamians are also familiar with .... San Diego is hands down better than Los Angeles or Miami .

Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't see how you can compare the weather. San Diego is a much more comfortable
climate unless you like walking around like your in a sauna(Florida)

Nothing like a warm day and a cool night.

I miss being able to sleep with the windows open even in the summer and a getting a cool breeze. In CA in July, you can do that, can't tell you the last time you could open a window in FL and a get a cool breeze. March?

Scenery wise you can't beat Southern CA,you have the ocean but you also have the mountains.

The FL beaches may be nicer, but that is about it.

FL is nice in the winter and very early spring, IMO.

But to say they are similar, I don't see that at all.
The weather is much , much nicer in San Diego than Miami ... no doubt .. the cool nights are a blessing . What does remind me about San Diego when I am in Miami ... are the Coral Gables and Pinecrest areas as well as the beach areas , the palm trees and most of all the Spanish architecture and stucco construction with Spanish style roofs ... in this respect ... Miami and South Florida do have a resemblance to San Diego .... Palm Beach Gardens and the Juno Beach / Tequesta areas also remind me of parts of San Diego .

Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Yes I am jealous .... give me a break ... maybe jealous of people that live in San Diego ... not LA ... I can see plenty of shallow , empty , stuck up people on South Beach on any weekend night .. no need to go to LA ...
who are you Perez Hilton ... she of the "flaming pen " ?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
If this tells you anything, most of the people people that I know that have live in Miami and are now living in California, would never move back to Miami-Dade or Florida for that matter. And two couples that have left California because of reasons, wish they were back in California, both couples are trying to get things in order to move back. Yes there are a few that would move back, but for the most of them, they will never move back to Florida, California for them is a better place to live even with all the mess out there. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM

160 posts, read 854,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswondering View Post
My husband and I are trying to decide which of these three areas to live in. We would like your opinions on what are the best neighborhoods to live in Miami. Hands down Florida is cheaper than California. However we want to know what is the sales tax for this state ..etc..any information would be appreciated. We both have degrees in the IT field and if that doesnt work we have Collections experience to fall back on LOL..

We are looking to move in about a year, so we are gathering data trying to see why we should pick Miami above California...
You're right about one thing, Miami is cheaper than California. However, I can answer you this; Im born & raised in California but now live in Miami for the past 4 years now and I would give my right arm to go back to California right now (if I could).

I can't stand Miami! Everything terrible breeds in the city of Miami. Don't take my word for it come here and find out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami