Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times

Advertisements

ok, i'm not sure how many can answer this..
but I had been looking for jobs in the Orlando area (evidenced by my activity in the Orlando forum), mainly cause of friends who liked it there and hearing mainly good things.
My fiance is from the Miami area and although her family is still there, she wanted to be closer than the NYC area to them, but not necessarily in miami, but no particular reason not to except she was kinda sick of Miami when she left.
Long story short, i've had bites in Orlando, but nothing moving quickly and I have an opportunity to fly down for an interview with a company in Miami (on their dime) next week and i'm wondering how much more money than a job in Orlando we would need to live on. Assuming I worked in the Doral area, and wanted to live in a nice neighborhood, I had heard about places like Miramar...
We would rent (month to month if possible) at first, but with the idea of moving quickly on a house soon after we decided we liked it.

So, after all that, how much more expensive are things in Miami than Orlando? Also, is it reasonable to ask an employer who will be flying me down to give me a salary range (low/high) before I use a vacation day at my current position and come down?

Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I would ask the salary range before you fly down. Just so you know its not below what you want. Online if you a search for Cost of Living in orlando and Miami you can also compare it where you live now. I looked up Miami and Orlando for you. The national average is 100, Orlando got 102 and Miami got 115. NYC got 135 to give you a comparison.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
well it depends because I currently live in Orlando and I really don't see that much of a difference. Gas here is $2.54 for regular, groceries are comparable, the worst here in Orlando is that every highway is practically a toll road unlike Miami. Housing prices aren't much better either whether you rent or buy. Unless you love having Disney nearby Orlando is a dull city.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well it depends because I currently live in Orlando and I really don't see that much of a difference. Gas here is $2.54 for regular, groceries are comparable, the worst here in Orlando is that every highway is practically a toll road unlike Miami. Housing prices aren't much better either whether you rent or buy. Unless you love having Disney nearby Orlando is a dull city.
thanks...
I mean, I think the reason its at all difficult is that my fiance grew up in Kendall, still has family there and while she loves visiting, she wanted something "new"... so I think if we do this we will live in Broward, but not sure thats new enough for her.. plus we had been goin the past so many months putting orlando in our head, lol...

Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I would say the main difference is housing which is about 20% lower in Orlando. Gas is also 15 cents lower in Orlando. Other costs are similar and IMO Orlando give you all of the crime, congestion and stress of Miami but with about as much entertainment and culture as Broward, which IMO is a much better and cleaner place to live all-around than Orlando. Also, the nicest parts of Orlando/Orange County, like Dr. Phillips, Winter Park and Windermere, are going to have a very similar cost of living to nice areas in Broward such as Weston, and to be honest those are the only areas that measure up. There are also areas in Seminole County that certainly measure up and are VERY nice, but also VERY family oriented and downright boring for anyone without children. As far as tolls, I think the OP probably would have to pay tolls anyway, because they work in Doral but want to live in Broward, which involves a turnpike trip.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-28-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
I'd strongly suggest South Florida over Orlando, the above summed it up quite well.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
IMO Orlando give you all of the crime, congestion and stress of Miami but with about as much entertainment and culture as Broward

On the money.

And yes they toll you to death up there.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
thanks...
I mean, I think the reason its at all difficult is that my fiance grew up in Kendall, still has family there and while she loves visiting, she wanted something "new"... so I think if we do this we will live in Broward, but not sure thats new enough for her.. plus we had been goin the past so many months putting orlando in our head, lol...

thanks for the rep and I didn't mean to say horrible things about Orlando it is just that my sis has kids & she thought this would be a better place than Miami so I understood that.
I'm a single man so I don't have those concerns and I guess those would be legimate issues for her.
What can I say Bound? after Miami it is downhill! (i'm kidding!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami