Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times

Advertisements

I need someone (or a couple of someones) to come out for a termite inspection and give me estimates. Maybe some regular pest control services too.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM

So no one here has ever had to call for a termite inspection or have had their house, or a friend's or relative's house, tented?

Wow. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Sorry, if I knew I would tell you.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:55 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
I thought it was a troll, oposum are known to be efficient termite and insect eaters.

we use guaranteed floridian. here's a hint if you intend to tent the average cost of the vikane gas and the set up costs the company about $600. whatever extra they charge is split between the "salesman" and the owners. haggle haggle haggle.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM

This house was tented 6.5 yrs ago just before I bought it, by Guarantee Floridian.
I called them up first and had an appt. for this past Saturday between 9-11 am. When the guy was 10 min late already, I called the company (office open till 12 on Sat) and the woman said she'd get back to me in 5 min. Ten min later I called again - "Oh, he's with a customer finishing up a contract".

Thanks for the courtesy call. Thanks for letting me know he would be late and that I wasn't important because he already had another customer. Thanks. Not interested in doing business with your company.

So that's why I'm now looking for someone else.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 PM

13 posts, read 40,932 times
Our building in SoBe has a contract with marlin exterminators. I haven't seen any insects, so I guess they are doing a good job.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
bummer. I make my money by showing up on time for the appointments I make. that being said people in the services industry don't seem to have a clue as to the meaning of the word.

when ever I set up an appointment to receive a service at my home irrespective of the time allotted I set aside the whole day. I also call as many as I can find advertised or referred to me. even taking these measures I have had as many as six roofers scheduled for an appointment on a given day only to have none show up or bother to call.

with regard to the nature of the estimators in services business most of those guys are hired guns and complete liars and con artists, that is the nature of the beast.

the exception would be if you are dealing with a boutique type of outfit where the owner wears most of the hats. I'm one of those and you will pay premium money for my service but you will most likely remain a customer mine for the duration of your life in the dade broward area.

sorry I couldn't be more helpful but that's the only exterminators we use and they have always been more or less straight with me.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Oh trust me. I've had my share of being left flat. This house has been completely re-done but I just don't have the time to sit around and wait for anybody anymore. I have to pay a mortgage & taxes and insurance so I work Mon-Fri. Weekends are my only free time and it's reserved for all the errands, and hopefully a little bit of R & R.

You see and hear about companies going under, people losing their jobs, the economy is bad, etc. etc. etc. but I don't see too much interest from most, especially the self-employed, in making progress.

Believe it or not, I have two trees that need to be trimmed. Out of 3 companies, only 1 responded and actually showed up. They are a father & son, owner operated, licensed & insured. I'm going with them.

(I took this week off to get all this house stuff done).

Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Default my experience with termites.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I need someone (or a couple of someones) to come out for a termite inspection and give me estimates. Maybe some regular pest control services too.

Any suggestions?

When I lived in the Gables (for over 30 years), I used Terminix for many years and always found their service excellent. I had my house tented several times over the years, used their monthly pest control for a couple of years, and always maintained a termite contract.

Termites are a serious problem in s/Florida ~ as well as other critters you don't want in your house. I was able to control the roaches by using Combat ~ but termites need professional attention

Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
I hear it's termite swarming season...I definitely need to have a professional termite inspector take a look at my home. Every company I've had come over seems clueless and it seems like everyone is having similar experiences...I'm looking for someone in the Miami area with a great reputation and strong track record with termite control. Thanks for sharing your recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: