Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2023, 01:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,938 times

Advertisements

I lived in Miami Dade for 43 years, moving down there just after getting my college degree in 1973. I want to switch things up and have a discussion about the good things/activities to be enjoyed in Miami Dade. Some of the ways I enjoyed the area included:

Taking sailing lessons at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club. What fun! Adult classes were taught during a summer evening for six weeks. Biscayne Bay has to be one of the best places to sail. I also joined a sailing club so I could 'hitch' rides from people who owned a sailboat.

Going fishing..... on charter boats as well as from the shore. One of my favorite places to fish was along the sea wall at Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.

Snorkeling off the Florida Keys. No boat needed. We just parked our car in a good spot and walked into the warm, clear water.

Volunteering. From 2001 through 2014, I volunteered with the Dade Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society. We were responsible for the landscaping around the Visitors' Center and Admin Building down in Everglades National Park. Since I lived just a 20 minute drive from the south unit of ENP, I spent many hours hiking, especially in the pinelands. It was my stress relief place.

Now it is your turn. How have you enjoyed and embraced living in Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 08:13 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I lived in Miami Dade for 43 years, moving down there just after getting my college degree in 1973. I want to switch things up and have a discussion about the good things/activities to be enjoyed in Miami Dade. Some of the ways I enjoyed the area included:

Taking sailing lessons at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club. What fun! Adult classes were taught during a summer evening for six weeks. Biscayne Bay has to be one of the best places to sail. I also joined a sailing club so I could 'hitch' rides from people who owned a sailboat.

Going fishing..... on charter boats as well as from the shore. One of my favorite places to fish was along the sea wall at Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park.

Snorkeling off the Florida Keys. No boat needed. We just parked our car in a good spot and walked into the warm, clear water.

Volunteering. From 2001 through 2014, I volunteered with the Dade Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society. We were responsible for the landscaping around the Visitors' Center and Admin Building down in Everglades National Park. Since I lived just a 20 minute drive from the south unit of ENP, I spent many hours hiking, especially in the pinelands. It was my stress relief place.

Now it is your turn. How have you enjoyed and embraced living in Miami?
The Brickell Run Club on Tuesday nights, HIT classes in midtown and Edgewater, taking photographs of the amazing sunrises, sunsets and wildlife, exploring new food options, found a live music venue in Wynwood, the Miami Beach Shell concerts, scuba certification, biking, people watching at Margaret Pace Park, Marlins games, going for drives in south Miami like along Old Cutler Bay Road. And lastly, just really, really love the ability to be outdoors most every day compared to when I lived up NY.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:32 PM

126 posts, read 219,740 times
I've only lived in Miami for a bit over two years but have embraced it enthusiastically so far. There are many things I've yet to discover but I have plenty of time as I am newly retired. Perhaps this thread will spur some new adventures for me. Here's my list so far:

- Early Sunday morning walks along South Pointe Park. Gorgeous scenery and good people watching, some of whom are doing the walk of shame

- My Tuesday morning ritual... Driving down old Cutler Road to walk the expanse of Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden during member’s early admission. Usually followed up by driving into Mathison Hammock Park to watch the early sun rising over the skyline

- Showing friends and family who visit that there is more to Miami than South beach!

- Shark Valley area of the Everglades (when I first moved here I was surprised at just how close the Everglades are)

- Everglades airboat tours to learn more about the nature and importance of the everglades. (I've done this 5 times this year while entertaining visitors)

- Strolling around and eating some great dinners in Coconut grove & Coral Gables

- Coconut Grove Farmer's Market on Saturdays

- Attending Miami Heat games to watch my previous home team Celtics

I'm very interested in hearing other's contributions to this thread!

Old 08-25-2023, 03:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
I've only lived in Miami for a bit over two years but have embraced it enthusiastically so far. There are many things I've yet to discover but I have plenty of time as I am newly retired. Perhaps this thread will spur some new adventures for me. Here's my list so far:

- Early Sunday morning walks along South Pointe Park. Gorgeous scenery and good people watching, some of whom are doing the walk of shame

- My Tuesday morning ritual... Driving down old Cutler Road to walk the expanse of Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden during member’s early admission. Usually followed up by driving into Mathison Hammock Park to watch the early sun rising over the skyline

- Showing friends and family who visit that there is more to Miami than South beach!

- Shark Valley area of the Everglades (when I first moved here I was surprised at just how close the Everglades are)

- Everglades airboat tours to learn more about the nature and importance of the everglades. (I've done this 5 times this year while entertaining visitors)

- Strolling around and eating some great dinners in Coconut grove & Coral Gables

- Coconut Grove Farmer's Market on Saturdays

- Attending Miami Heat games to watch my previous home team Celtics

I'm very interested in hearing other's contributions to this thread!
I sent you a dm.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:05 AM

126 posts, read 219,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I sent you a dm.
Replied

Old 10-25-2023, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 15,850 times
I lived in Miami for a short month. It was different from Taiwan. I felt like it was a wonderful place full of enthusiasm.The sunrise and sunset here are beautiful and there are warm beaches.Taking your lover for a walk on the beach in the evening is so relaxing and joyful.If I have the chance, I will try sailing like you. It will definitely make my life more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami