Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM

317 posts, read 819,370 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Miami I've had my share of underage drinking, college binge drinking and overall I have experienced the party scene to the point where it no longer interest me as much. I'm 27yrs old now and exercise 4-5 times a week and the hangover causes me to get off my regimen for a day or two.

I have lived in New York City(2 years) and also Los Angeles(4 months), which are two cities where you can find fun things to do that don't involve being drunk or intoxicated during the nightlife and also during things to do during the day.

Miami seems to lack daytime events, festivals...etc...and things to do that aren't concentrated on south beach or around a bar or a club. Don't get me wrong every once or twice a month I enjoy a drink, but I hate avoiding social gatherings with friends because they mostly involve a club or bar and truthfully attending and not drinking along with them takes the fun away from being there in the first place.

What does Miami have to offer for those that just want to enjoy the city sober??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...s-miami-3.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...s-hangout.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ing-areas.html

Although I don't understand why you can just hang out with your friends without drinking...unless you really like alcohol...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:59 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Growing up in Miami I've had my share of underage drinking, college binge drinking and overall I have experienced the party scene to the point where it no longer interest me as much. I'm 27yrs old now and exercise 4-5 times a week and the hangover causes me to get off my regimen for a day or two.

I have lived in New York City(2 years) and also Los Angeles(4 months), which are two cities where you can find fun things to do that don't involve being drunk or intoxicated during the nightlife and also during things to do during the day.

Miami seems to lack daytime events, festivals...etc...and things to do that aren't concentrated on south beach or around a bar or a club. Don't get me wrong every once or twice a month I enjoy a drink, but I hate avoiding social gatherings with friends because they mostly involve a club or bar and truthfully attending and not drinking along with them takes the fun away from being there in the first place.

What does Miami have to offer for those that just want to enjoy the city sober??????
Still trying to find the down side.........

Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
I'm sure there are enough sober people in Miami who find plenty to do

Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
OP - There are plenty of church groups out there if you want to find people that don't drink. And they have plenty of things going on that don't have people drinking. Maybe you should join a church and find some friends there instead.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...s-miami-3.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...s-hangout.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ing-areas.html

Although I don't understand why you can just hang out with your friends without drinking...unless you really like alcohol...

Actually I'm not a big drinker, but have you ever hung out at south beach or any area in Miami involving its nightlife from 11pm - 4am in the morning without drinking at various bars and clubs...It's boring especially if your not drinking and the others are I would rather decline the invitation in the first place. For example in NYC you can enjoy nightlife with a group of friends and have more options then just going to places based on drinking. Miami is lacking this actvity. As for the parks in Miami they are a joke and the cultural events come once a year...blah

Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,168 times
Alcohol keeps the normal people in Miami - the very few - sane. And it also keeps the white boy - the very few - dancing! LOL!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,641 times
I like drinking, so i know of no non drinking events.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
but have you ever hung out at south beach or any area in Miami involving its nightlife from 11pm - 4am in the morning without drinking at various bars and clubs...
Yes I have, but I think someone that enjoys dancing, hooking up or whatever people do in bars can enjoy them without alcohol.

Maybe you don't like bar/club scene... I hate clubs with a passion but my friends still love those places. For me drinking was the highlight of the night so if that's the case, I guess I understand your point.

I have never lived long enough in New York or LA so I really don't know how cultural they are there. I just traveled there and it's not the same. I'm not impressed by New York though, maybe because I can't stand cold weather and old dirty places that smell during the winter. I do wish to move to LA someday, but my family keeps me here. California is just so beautiful and the geography there gives you more options.

I still think though you should check other activities, this is a huge metropolitan area, and if you like nature, you can still enjoy this place, I don't think the parks are a joke, maybe you haven't gone there in the first place. Invite your friends, many don't even know these places exist.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
Yes I have, but I think someone that enjoys dancing, hooking up or whatever people do in bars can enjoy them without alcohol.

Maybe you don't like bar/club scene... I hate clubs with a passion but my friends still love those places. For me drinking was the highlight of the night so if that's the case, I guess I understand your point.

I have never lived long enough in New York or LA so I really don't know how cultural they are there. I just traveled there and it's not the same. I'm not impressed by New York though, maybe because I can't stand cold weather and old dirty places that smell during the winter. I do wish to move to LA someday, but my family keeps me here. California is just so beautiful and the geography there gives you more options.

I still think though you should check other activities, this is a huge metropolitan area, and if you like nature, you can still enjoy this place, I don't think the parks are a joke, maybe you haven't gone there in the first place. Invite your friends, many don't even know these places exist.
I guess since I've been out of college and have a different lifestyle now, which I exercise and eat much healthier finding things to do that keep me in that realm are harder in Miami than most large cities in my opinion. Miami is more of a tourist city so it's set up to get you drunk, spend money shopping and then kick you out..lol..I've actually been to many parks I'm an avid bike rider and runner so I've been to a few, most of them were small and the scenery was ok and usually not a lot of people. I stick with Key Biscayne's causeway for my daily run it's the best view so far. You will definitly like L.A. its got the population of a NYC and the look of a Miami on a larger scale I loved it.

On the other hand maybe I just need to drop my drunkard friends and find a new set of people that live my same lifestyle????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami