Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:35 AM

124 posts, read 415,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
Those are probably the 3 things that I more concerned if I ever moved out of Miami, especially my cafe con leche I really enjoy that stuff and I haven't still figure out how to make it myself (mine tastes like soap)
I like cafe con leche, but cortadito takes the heat.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
For me...Carlito's and Miami together in a sentence or phrase = BURN NOTICE on USA! What a great show...

I recently came back from Albuquerque, NM, on a visit. I would never move there. There's no water in that town. Seriously. No water. People will be rationing water there in a couple of years. It's very crowded for such a smallish-looking downtown area...and I get the sense that the action in Albuquerque occurs away from Downtown...in on of the Northeast burbs....

I want a place with an active urban scene.....no more strip mall suburbs with a starbucks and a gas station on every corner....
Albuquerque and Las Cruces are quite different from each other.... Yes, they both have to conserve waters, but I did not find it so drastic in Las Cruces as its been described for Albuquerque. Rio Rancho is a nicer suburb of Albuquerque, but very crowded. Hatch, and Silver City are Southern areas of New Mexico with plenty of greenery and great for the eyes. Still I prefer living in Miami for the varios reasons I mentioned. The people of Las Cruces and New Mexico in general are friendlier than Miamians.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Not everyone cares about cortaditos and media noches. If those are deal breakers, then you know that before you leave. I know I would hate the intense desert heat and dust so I wouldn't ever waste my time moving to Arizona. I couldn't stand it not raining, I need that. So when people move for the wrong reasons, like, for a "change," but not for the important reasons, it makes sense that they come back. But the people who move for quality of life reasons rarely come back, and that is undisputeable.

I wrote;

I left Miami a year and so ago. Went to live to Las Cruces, thinking to be freed of Hurricanes, High taxes, and insurance, rude drivers, high crime, etc....

As Point used to say..... Reading IS fundamental....

Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
It all comes down to what you value. If you are Cuban or Cuban American, of course you will put up with all the crap here, there is no other place like Miami in the US with this level of Cuban influence, especially in the food, culture and prosperity.

If what matters to you in life is seeing people with hot bodies, I don't know why you would move to Las Cruces, New Mexico in the first place??? It sounds like you like all of Miami's idiosyncricies, which is fine, but if so much of that was important to you, it didn't make sense to move in the first place. It wouldn't take a genius to know the a small city in the desert gets hotter than Miami and has dust storms, and most likely isn't open 24 hours a day.

If what is important to you in life is having places open 24 hours (and I can tell you by my house that is limitied to gas stations that are locked and you pay through a bullet proof window), people who are into the body culture and Latin culture, then Miami is unparalleled. If you value a job that pays well, a lower cost of living, a less stressful environment and are open to multiple cultures, as opposed to one dominant culture (Latin), then you can be happy in countless other places.

Personally I am a tropical plant lover and I cannot live anywhere else and recreate what I have in my yard here. Hawaii is obviously waaaay too expensive and anywhere north of here means freezes, which would kill my tropical plants and prohibit me from planting tropical flowering and fruiting trees. So, I make the most out of it. I also am an interpreter and translator, so I have work here, whereas I wouldn't have as much in other cities. Unfortunately, my job is paid less here because of the large amount of already bilingual people. So it is a tradeoff, and that is why I haven't left. But just because that is my reality, it doesn't mean that other people who leave are making a mistake or will be back.

There are numerous people here that will never earn enough to support their families and buy a home. Not everyone cares about cortaditos and media noches. If those are deal breakers, then you know that before you leave. I know I would hate the intense desert heat and dust so I wouldn't ever waste my time moving to Arizona. I couldn't stand it not raining, I need that. So when people move for the wrong reasons, like, for a "change," but not for the important reasons, it makes sense that they come back. But the people who move for quality of life reasons rarely come back, and that is undisputeable.
Great Post!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I understand people leave due to other causes, but you also have to weigh the other sides of it. Like I said in my post, I have things that tie me here and that I can find only here, but I keep them in mind when I want to flee due to rudeness, excessive prices, poor pay, etc. Reading is fundamental but a well rounded view of the issues is as well.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
welcome back,

I don't understand what would cause someone to leave the very best place in the universe. things get progressively worse once you leave miami and then exponentially worse when you leave florida.

I won't even leave miami to go on vacation, my house is better than any five star hotel.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
welcome back,

I don't understand what would cause someone to leave the very best place in the universe. things get progressively worse once you leave miami and then exponentially worse when you leave florida.

I won't even leave miami to go on vacation, my house is better than any five star hotel.

Hey I love Miami but not even leaving it for vacation????? That's s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
It all comes down to what you value. If you are Cuban or Cuban American, of course you will put up with all the crap here, there is no other place like Miami in the US with this level of Cuban influence, especially in the food, culture and prosperity.

If what matters to you in life is seeing people with hot bodies, I don't know why you would move to Las Cruces, New Mexico in the first place??? It sounds like you like all of Miami's idiosyncricies, which is fine, but if so much of that was important to you, it didn't make sense to move in the first place. It wouldn't take a genius to know the a small city in the desert gets hotter than Miami and has dust storms, and most likely isn't open 24 hours a day.

If what is important to you in life is having places open 24 hours (and I can tell you by my house that is limitied to gas stations that are locked and you pay through a bullet proof window), people who are into the body culture and Latin culture, then Miami is unparalleled. If you value a job that pays well, a lower cost of living, a less stressful environment and are open to multiple cultures, as opposed to one dominant culture (Latin), then you can be happy in countless other places.

Personally I am a tropical plant lover and I cannot live anywhere else and recreate what I have in my yard here. Hawaii is obviously waaaay too expensive and anywhere north of here means freezes, which would kill my tropical plants and prohibit me from planting tropical flowering and fruiting trees. So, I make the most out of it. I also am an interpreter and translator, so I have work here, whereas I wouldn't have as much in other cities. Unfortunately, my job is paid less here because of the large amount of already bilingual people. So it is a tradeoff, and that is why I haven't left. But just because that is my reality, it doesn't mean that other people who leave are making a mistake or will be back.

There are numerous people here that will never earn enough to support their families and buy a home. Not everyone cares about cortaditos and media noches. If those are deal breakers, then you know that before you leave. I know I would hate the intense desert heat and dust so I wouldn't ever waste my time moving to Arizona. I couldn't stand it not raining, I need that. So when people move for the wrong reasons, like, for a "change," but not for the important reasons, it makes sense that they come back. But the people who move for quality of life reasons rarely come back, and that is undisputeable.
I second that...Great Post!!

Glad Carlos/Carlitos...likes it here....At least you came back to where you're happy.

Some people, you couldn't pay them enough to move to Miami (me included). Broward County is as South as it goes for me, and I'm still working on leaving...

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
Welcome back.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:26 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
welcome back,

Ladies and gentlemen... Dadeguy: Florida department of tourism spokesperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami