Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
That is an example of your personal truth and your are trying to universalize it. My point is, you may have that belief and it is fine, but that you continue to believe it because the people that fit that mold are easy to remember and the people who don't are easily forgotten. That is proven human nature on any subject, not just this topic. I am sure you have probably even met Cuban people without even realizing they were Cuban because they didn't "act" the way you think they do.

Every cultural group has its traits and idiosyncracies, but you can't paint them all with the same brush. I also think you have isolated yourself to a certain segment of Cubans. I went to Southwest (Sotuhref) and Coral Park in the 90s, and there were the stereotypical balseros, then there was a quiet group of Cubans that were bascially nerdy, very smart and quiet, totally opposite to the stereotype. Then there were the Cuban Americans which once again ran the gamit. And those schools were both around 5,000 students each, with a majority of the students being Cuban.

Think of it this way, if a foreigner came to the US and went to New Orleans and lived there for many years, they would conclude that that's how most americans are (poor, black, tons of crime, etc) and that would be a skewed reality...and then when they went on to the next city, say Houston, they would see more of the same. However, if that foreigner went to Seattle originally instead of New Orleans, and then moved on to Houston, they would see a different "American," much more ethnically diverse, more educated and less crime. Even wehn arriving in Houston, they would percive what they brought to the table from Seattle and all the negative would be "the bad part of the city, that's everywhere." Both realities may exist, but neither is a universal...so it is inaccurate to project your personal experience onto the whole Cuban community.

I have personally mentioned aspects I strongly dislike about the Cuban American culture in prior posts, their distaste for trees, yards, indifference to community concerns that don't affect them directly....but even I recognize that not all Cubans or Cuban Americans are like that, that is the stereotype. You SEE that behavior because that is what you dislike and it sticks out. The behavior you like goes unnoticed because it doesn't call your attention. Just think, it makes perfect sense.

If you only hang out on the corner cafeteria and barber shop in Little Havana you will see the Cubans you complain about. But go to Coral Gables and you will see Cubans at Barnes and Nobles *gasp* reading, drinking coffe, walking the Miracle Mile, etc. Many Cubans own homes in the Gables, own companies, corporations...but those aren't the ones you notice.

I think you are the one who needs to be around a more diverse group of people. Being half Cuban doesn't exactly make you an expert or neutral to this topic. I am non-Cuban and am an interpreter and translator...so I see all kinds of people from the scammers to the victims to the hard working people. I have lived in South Florida my whole life, so trust me, I have been around PUH-LENTY of Cubans here, in Cuba and in Latin America.
Great post!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 AM

809 posts, read 2,311,741 times
[quote=Chelito23;10874378]I am not Cuban, but I had a Cuban neighbor move next door (family) a couple of years ago, straight from the island. They are the nicest, non-stereotypical people you could imagine. The problem is, most people see how Cubans evolve and act after living here for decades, it is a dog eat dog city and the cubans of course embody this prevailing attitude which is so common in these parts.

I find it interesting that you find the recent arrivals nice and easy to get along with. I find them to be the hard core suspicious one who have a dog eat dog attitude, the ones DYING to cut in front of you in line or form some sort of scandal. If you ask me, they are the most steretypical ones.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM

160 posts, read 853,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
That is an example of your personal truth and your are trying to universalize it. My point is, you may have that belief and it is fine, but that you continue to believe it because the people that fit that mold are easy to remember and the people who don't are easily forgotten. That is proven human nature on any subject, not just this topic. I am sure you have probably even met Cuban people without even realizing they were Cuban because they didn't "act" the way you think they do.

My family is Cuban, what part of that did you NOT understand. How do you think people make sound decisions on stereotypes or anything for that matter if it's not based on personal experience. If you think that the Cubans that hang out on Calle Ocho or Little Havana are the only ones with attitudes you're sadly mistaken.

Yes, I have been to Coral Gables and Yes I have seen Cubans reading but that doesn't take away the fact that they still add to the corruption that has added to the reason for why Miami is the way it is.

Chelito; it's very possible that maybe because you are latin and have been exposed to this type of lifestyle for so many years (including latin America) is the reason why you think it's normal or approve of the type of behavior that surrounds this cesspool of a city. You see - I don't have to universalize it because it's there whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

I DO NOT generalize my views on the rest of the United States and I'm sure other foreigners wouldn't either. I'm not a native of Miami so I have lived and seen other states & cities, therefore It allows me to make a fair judgement of the different lifestyles based on my experience and opinion of the inhabitants of Miami.

If you think being around a bunch of latins is diverse then you live in a fantasy world.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM

60 posts, read 95,823 times
Thanks to all those who responded positively to my post, I'm just trying to emphasize that a much better existence is possible and accessible for all outside of Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming Miami is today. Don't settle for the insecurities, fear, stress-induced reality and general malaise that is present in today's Miami. Formulate a plan, make a timeline for achieving that goal and just get out. The United States is a large, beautiful country with unlimited potential but you need to take the first step and flee from that pathetic existence-you will feel liberated the moment you leave. For example, I guarantee all of you experience this just when you leave on vacation and dread the thought of returning to face it all over again. This is not normal-you should feel recharged and rested returning from a vacation but Miami will not allow you to feel this way because it's such a sressful place to live. I KNOW from experience because I have moved on and feel so much more full of life. Heed my advice and good luck to all.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 PM

160 posts, read 853,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarreto View Post
Thanks to all those who responded positively to my post, I'm just trying to emphasize that a much better existence is possible and accessible for all outside of Moderator cut: Trolling/Flaming Miami is today. Don't settle for the insecurities, fear, stress-induced reality and general malaise that is present in today's Miami. Formulate a plan, make a timeline for achieving that goal and just get out. The United States is a large, beautiful country with unlimited potential but you need to take the first step and flee from that pathetic existence-you will feel liberated the moment you leave. For example, I guarantee all of you experience this just when you leave on vacation and dread the thought of returning to face it all over again. This is not normal-you should feel recharged and rested returning from a vacation but Miami will not allow you to feel this way because it's such a sressful place to live. I KNOW from experience because I have moved on and feel so much more full of life. Heed my advice and good luck to all.

Three cheers for tbarreto!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:56 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,651,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
I'm of Cuban decent. My family on my Fathers side are from Cuba. There is definitely a certain mentality that comes along with being Cuban and unfortunately it's not positive. I wonder sometimes if it has anything to do with communism and the political struggle that Cuba has endured for so many years. Who knows, all I know is the race tends to be very difficult to deal with and is usually clicky in the way that they stick to their own kind. I can go own but I think this may be the calm before the storm....
What is this mentality of which you speak? Why would you say that "the race" - mind you, "Cuban" is not a race - is "very difficult to deal with"?

Quote:
What a lot of BS Chelito! How do you think stereotypes are created, because the vast majority are easily distinguished as being similar. Sure there are exceptions to every rule (not every Cuban is the same) and everyone has their faults but I am part Cuban and have been around more than 1 Cuban in my life time (probably more than you) and can easily tell you that most are very similar in attitude. It's also this mentality that has ruined Miami for everyone. Once you wake up someday and are able to see these characteristics you'll realize what kind of a city you live in.
Please describe this attitude which most Cubans allegedly have in common, because I sincerely have no idea what you mean. Also, what kind of city would you say Miami is? You say "cesspool" in a later post, but I'd like to know, precisely, what you think is wrong with it.

Quote:
My family is Cuban, what part of that did you NOT understand. How do you think people make sound decisions on stereotypes or anything for that matter if it's not based on personal experience. If you think that the Cubans that hang out on Calle Ocho or Little Havana are the only ones with attitudes you're sadly mistaken.

Yes, I have been to Coral Gables and Yes I have seen Cubans reading but that doesn't take away the fact that they still add to the corruption that has added to the reason for why Miami is the way it is.

Chelito; it's very possible that maybe because you are latin and have been exposed to this type of lifestyle for so many years (including latin America) is the reason why you think it's normal or approve of the type of behavior that surrounds this cesspool of a city. You see - I don't have to universalize it because it's there whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

I DO NOT generalize my views on the rest of the United States and I'm sure other foreigners wouldn't either. I'm not a native of Miami so I have lived and seen other states & cities, therefore It allows me to make a fair judgement of the different lifestyles based on my experience and opinion of the inhabitants of Miami.

If you think being around a bunch of latins is diverse then you live in a fantasy world.
Can you quantify some of this "type of behavior" and explain why you believe Miami is a "cesspool of a city"? I have resided in and visited a variety of places and have friends from a variety of backgrounds and am nonetheless struggling to understand what you mean by these harsh, generalized statements. I try not to generalize and you claim that you don't generalize either, but what I'm seeing in your posts is that "Cubans have a crappy attitude, behave themselves badly, and because of them Miami sucks." If this is not what you intend to convey in your writings, please advise me otherwise.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,847,440 times
Quote:

Do you dislike the rude people too?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,374,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
------

Problem is that you perceive yourself as white, but Cubans don't perceive you as white. In Miami, Cubans are the white people, the "Great Abos". They hold the whip, at least that's what they think.

Any American left in Miami not living in posh areas is perceived by Cubans as a failed individual, a drunk, a dumb person, trailer trash, etc, but even considering that, as an American you're still far more appreciated by Cubans than non-Cuban Hispanics arrived during the last 20 years. Those are the Gremlins.
What are you going on about?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM

976 posts, read 1,106,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Do you dislike the rude people too?
Who wouldnt get tired of all the rude people?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,847,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Who wouldnt get tired of all the rude people?
Just because you may share someones viewpoint doesn't mean they aren't rude .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami