Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
My family is Cuban, what part of that did you NOT understand. How do you think people make sound decisions on stereotypes or anything for that matter if it's not based on personal experience. If you think that the Cubans that hang out on Calle Ocho or Little Havana are the only ones with attitudes you're sadly mistaken.

Yes, I have been to Coral Gables and Yes I have seen Cubans reading but that doesn't take away the fact that they still add to the corruption that has added to the reason for why Miami is the way it is.

Chelito; it's very possible that maybe because you are latin and have been exposed to this type of lifestyle for so many years (including latin America) is the reason why you think it's normal or approve of the type of behavior that surrounds this cesspool of a city. You see - I don't have to universalize it because it's there whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

I DO NOT generalize my views on the rest of the United States and I'm sure other foreigners wouldn't either. I'm not a native of Miami so I have lived and seen other states & cities, therefore It allows me to make a fair judgement of the different lifestyles based on my experience and opinion of the inhabitants of Miami.

If you think being around a bunch of latins is diverse then you live in a fantasy world.
OK, I misread, you are not part Cuban, you are all Cuban, but chill out about that, I am only human people misread things, as you did evidentlly with my post as well.

I said before, stereotypes are formed based on repeated experiences, and then people make the connections when they see other people and situations that fit them, and when they don't see them, they dismiss it. Human nature, no rocket science to that.

I don't think rude behavior is normal, although it is far too common, but it isn't limited to Cubans or Miami. It may be more common here than in other places because Miami is so expensive, streeful, competitive, hot and overpopuated...but blaming it on the Cubans is a little too convenient. Look at Kanye West, he was pretty rude. No Miami connection there. The South Carolina Senator that yelled out at President Obama was pretty rude. Rudeness is everywhere, but is it easier to point it out here and ignore it elsewhere. Yeah, it is a rat race and it sucks, but there is plenty of blame to go around.

Miami has always been corrupt, the economy has been based on trade, tourism, real estate, speculation...no real industry. Lots of easy money. It was a winter playground for the mafia, booze kept on flowing during prohibition. There weren't Cubans here for that...so let's not act like our problems and corruption started the day they arrived.

I didn't generalize your views on the rest of the country, I gave you an example of perspective on the situation. I have traveled all over the country for my job, and of course people in Sioux City, Iowa are nicer, it's always that way in small towns. Big cities tend to have ruder people, but that is a given. Find a small cuban population in some other state and I am sure they would be more polite, like any group.

I never said being around a bunch of Latins was diverse. I said living in Seattle would be a more diverse environment. Note that I corrected you without being abrasive or rude...

The bottom line is, you have opinions, just like everyone else. But your opinions aren't universal truths. They are a product of your family and your upbringing, I am not one to wear rose colored glasses about life in Miami or the natives, I am the first one to criticize, check my old posts. But I call them as I see them and it's not fair to scapgoat a whole group of people just because you have a Cuban background and are now in or have visited Miami.

There are plenty of non stereotypical Cubans, but if you choose to only see the stereotypical ones, you will be miserable in Miami, so I would recommend you go live elsewhere or stop visiting South Florida.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
I find it interesting that you find the recent arrivals nice and easy to get along with. I find them to be the hard core suspicious one who have a dog eat dog attitude, the ones DYING to cut in front of you in line or form some sort of scandal. If you ask me, they are the most steretypical ones.
I wouldn't broad brush it and make a blanket statement that new arrivals are esy to get along and long term immigrants are not...but I have met many recent arrivals that are nice, normal people. I have also met trashy people that just arrived...there is truely a mix of everyone.

My experience has been that the most over the top, drama filled people have been here a while and have learned the ropes...that behavior is learned and sadly tolerated here...

I suppose it all depends on out experiences, but I have had so much contact with immigrants in the schools, in the courts, in hospitals, etc...that I really have seen a lot. In my opinion, people tend to be more humble initially and then start acting the same way as the people that surrounded them once they have been here for a while.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
You didn't misunderstand Chelito. Apparently it's not his whole family.

I'm of Cuban decent. My family on my Fathers side are from Cuba.

Moderator cut: Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-24-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
OK, I misread, you are not part Cuban, you are all Cuban, but chill out about that, I am only human people misread things, as you did evidentlly with my post as well.

I said before, stereotypes are formed based on repeated experiences, and then people make the connections when they see other people and situations that fit them, and when they don't see them, they dismiss it. Human nature, no rocket science to that.

I don't think rude behavior is normal, although it is far too common, but it isn't limited to Cubans or Miami. It may be more common here than in other places because Miami is so expensive, streeful, competitive, hot and overpopuated...but blaming it on the Cubans is a little too convenient. Look at Kanye West, he was pretty rude. No Miami connection there. The South Carolina Senator that yelled out at President Obama was pretty rude. Rudeness is everywhere, but is it easier to point it out here and ignore it elsewhere. Yeah, it is a rat race and it sucks, but there is plenty of blame to go around.

Miami has always been corrupt, the economy has been based on trade, tourism, real estate, speculation...no real industry. Lots of easy money. It was a winter playground for the mafia, booze kept on flowing during prohibition. There weren't Cubans here for that...so let's not act like our problems and corruption started the day they arrived.

I didn't generalize your views on the rest of the country, I gave you an example of perspective on the situation. I have traveled all over the country for my job, and of course people in Sioux City, Iowa are nicer, it's always that way in small towns. Big cities tend to have ruder people, but that is a given. Find a small cuban population in some other state and I am sure they would be more polite, like any group.

I never said being around a bunch of Latins was diverse. I said living in Seattle would be a more diverse environment. Note that I corrected you without being abrasive or rude...

The bottom line is, you have opinions, just like everyone else. But your opinions aren't universal truths. They are a product of your family and your upbringing, I am not one to wear rose colored glasses about life in Miami or the natives, I am the first one to criticize, check my old posts. But I call them as I see them and it's not fair to scapgoat a whole group of people just because you have a Cuban background and are now in or have visited Miami.

There are plenty of non stereotypical Cubans, but if you choose to only see the stereotypical ones, you will be miserable in Miami, so I would recommend you go live elsewhere or stop visiting South Florida.
Good post and kudos to you Chelito23

Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
got me there I have never been to boracay, but I have been to olongopo in the philipines I ask you why would I want to travel 20 hours by air when I can have the same here? I believe you missed my point. I have absolutely no interest in traveling for travelings sake. if I want a deserted white sand beach I need only travel to destin on a thursday and have the same thing. if it needn't be sugar sand (which it doesn't) I can walk thirty paces to my very own beach in my back yard. you can't compare what I have to anywhere else, mine is better, to me and I've been elsewhere plenty enough to make that judgment call.

I have come to believe that there is significant truth in the arab proverb that travel is but a foretaste of hell.

Great quote - and I am an obsessed traveler. 5 months of the year, I travel wherever I feel on whims.

BUT...I WISH...I had THAT place...that ONE place that I just wanted to be above all else - and most of my traveling is trying to find that place.

(Since this thread mentioned Boracay - I've been there 6 times, including my last time which was just a few weeks ago. Boracay is GREAT as a vacation - but it's not a place to live - no movie theaters, over-priced, you quickly run out of things to do, and you'll just see the same locals or new travelers everyday. Everytime I go there, it's amazingly wonderful for two days, I get bored on the third day, and by the fourth day, I am completely out of my mind bored and bags are packed!)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM

160 posts, read 854,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

Of course rude behaviour is not limited to Cubans or Miami. That would be idiocy to think that. I don't think that was ever implied but it does seem to be the MAJORITY in Miami rather than the minority. I love the way you're filled with contradictions Chelito, saying things like "Miami has always been corrupt" and then make a feeble attempt to defend Miami.

Let me ask you Chelito / Rock Newman, if "Miami has always been corrupt" who do you think made it that way; hint "Miami contains a significant amount of Cubans". Just something to think about. Unlike you my opinions are based on experience rather than family upbringing. You can choose to be in denial of what goes on here in Miami but it gets you nowhere.....

Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Of course rude behaviour is not limited to Cubans or Miami. it does seem to be the MAJORITY in Miami rather than the minority. I love the way you're filled with contradictions Chelito, saying things like "Miami has always been corrupt" and then make a feeble attempt to defend Miami.

if "Miami has always been corrupt" who do you think made it that way; hint "Miami contains a significant amount of Cubans". Just something to think about.
Well most politicians are corrupt so I wouldn't say that Miami is corrupt because the elected officials are Cubans.
Now should we blame the cubans for electing them? Yes. The media has played a big part perpetuating The "exile" theme. It has been used to distract people from the real corruption (think Elian Gonzalez, traveling to Cuba, Castro's health, the embargo and all that stuff). Cubans were more worried about a Juanes concert in Cuba than the Marlins stadium and the 450 million dollars that Miami is gonna owe to Chase & Bank of America.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:

[b]Let me ask you Chelito / Rock Newman, if "Miami has always been corrupt" who do you think made it that way; hint "Miami contains a significant amount of Cubans".
Corruption probe continues in Broward; new charges revealed by feds -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Just something to think about.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:16 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Well most politicians are corrupt so I wouldn't say that Miami is corrupt because the elected officials are Cubans.
Now should we blame the cubans for electing them? Yes. The media has played a big part perpetuating The "exile" theme. It has been used to distract people from the real corruption (think Elian Gonzalez, traveling to Cuba, Castro's health, the embargo and all that stuff). Cubans were more worried about a Juanes concert in Cuba than the Marlins stadium and the 450 million dollars that Miami is gonna owe to Chase & Bank of America.
You do realize many county commissioners aren't Cuban, right? I don't see how Cubans have anything to do with this.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami is a city built on fantasy. The reality is that quality residents are still leaving and every person I know who has some talent and has left has prospered. The lower quality residents promptly returned to Miami after failing in other locales and have submitted to the delusion of sun and fun on a former no man's land. Surprisingly I have heard how Miami is boring if you are not an alcoholic or drug user. While drugs are an epidemic in rural areas nationwide, Miami still seems to have more issues than you would think.

I have to take issue with this comment, it is rude, biased, and wrong. Many of my talented, intelligent, kind friends who are not clubbers, druggies, etc, live in Miami. I was born and raised there and recently moved to another metropolitan city for "better" opportunities.

I am going back to Miami, and it's not because I failed. I'm doing well here, but I miss my hometown, my family, my friends, the sunshine, parks, and beaches.

I'm not a clubber, I don't party or do drugs, I don't subscribe to the phony south beach lifestyle. THERE ARE OTHER SIDES TO LIFE IN MIAMI. Like plants, gardens, parks, ocean, etc...

Like any city, there is good and there is bad. It's all in what you look for and who you associate with.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami