Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM

25 posts, read 51,698 times

Advertisements

ok so this is my thread I guess; I've been posting in a few others but i guess i should have one too...

little bit of info bout me:
-Male
-Single
-Caucasian
-Grew up in Orlando, moved to Virginia in '98 just after all those Central Florida brush fires, still hating VA, going to bite the bullet and move back to FL.

With all that said, I have employment with the federal government, so worst case is, I transfer down to Miami with my current job, best case is, I have a few months before I can go and i try to apply for other employment.

I have a degree in International Relations and a minor in German and am more comfortable around people who are different than I and generally enjoy jumping "feet first" into different cultures and finding out if I sink or swim.

I took 6 years of spanish and that with growing up in FL you'd think i'd be fluent, but alas I got bored and switched to german so now i'm having to re-learn (and embarrass myself ) in it again.

with all that said, I'm looking for local's information on good areas to live, things to do (the local scene, not the "touristy" items... sure, i want to go to SoBe, but Orlando kinda touristed me out ), best places to eat, etc. I'm not looking to rent a house; a single room for me and my meager possessions (hey im just starting out in life! heh) or single bedroom apartment would suffice... I just dont want to end up living in say Overtown or Liberty City unless I'm packing my 870 with slugs

Can't really think of anything else at the moment, so thanks in advance...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM

261 posts, read 704,120 times
I'm 26, married, male, caucasian, grew up here in Miami...so I understand your viewpoint a little hehe

Dude, I would pack your 870 with slugs regardless! Having once been the victim of a home invasion, I know the value of one when you need it. Bring it along! Been looking into buying a Mossy 590 myself soon as I have some extra bucks to throw around.

Now are you set on Miami? You may want to look at Ft. Lauderdale as well. I can't say I know much about it, perhaps someone else could speak to it...

As far as areas that are happening and have a "scene" I would go for the Beach, Downtown Coral Gables, or the Midtown/Brickell/Downtown Miami stretch. Just learn to avoid (unless they're your thing) the touristy type places, snotty clubs, and clubs that try to pass themselves off as bars; you'll know them once you're in them! Find the jazz or blues bars, the Irish pubs and more low key happy hours and dive bars and you'll be in business.

Studio and 1BR housing on the Beach and in Coral Gables is surprisingly easy to come by. The tradeoff will most likely be that the buildings will be older and not modern-style, and few will come with washer/dryer in unit and central A/C (wall unit instead). Up your rent several hundred bucks for these types of places. Start having a look on Craigslist! I can also put you in touch with a great apartment broker who can help you out with your search at no cost to you.

If you're looking for something more suburban or family-oriented, there's Kendall, Doral, and Miami Lakes. Not much of a "scene" going on in those areas!

Another area is the Fountainbleu/Westchester area. Fairly cheap housing, and you won't fear for your own life or safety walking around, but you may fear for the life of your car stereo...hope this helps!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM

292 posts, read 956,208 times
Pack the heat- either way- my advice- the weather is nice- but dont let the sun kill your braincells.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 AM

thanks... idk ive been doing some research and not too sure bout miami now... too many unknowns and whatnot... seriously considering tampa bay area (it had been my second choice anyways). less chance of getting in over my head and i know more about it etc.

the only thing is aside from Ybor City idk of many "latin areas" in TB... ah well

Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Tampa over Miami? not really. You are better off somewhere in the SE area. Ignore the pack heat comments, I have never packed heat, and most people I know don't either. As long as you use common sense and don't go to Overtown wearing a Rolex or a $50k wedding ring, you should be fine. Common sense is needed when you live in a big city, if not then people need to move back to a small town and enjoy going to bed at 6:30 pm, driving 50 miles for basic services and being unemployed. That's the price you pay for less crime.

Also it doesn't have to be Miami, maybe Ft Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 AM

its not that i wouldnt like to move to miami; its that i only make $30k a year, i dont know much about the area, and it makes sense to first move back to something I know and then go see it in person and if i still want to move there, then i can. if not, eh...

mostly, im worried about $$$. i mean i grew up in Pine Hills, FL, and if you go visit the Orlando board, youll see just how bad that area is... so im not worried bout crime so much...

just money and getting in over my head...

Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 AM

535 posts, read 1,410,737 times
If you make $30k you'll not going to make it... you need at least $80k just for yourself to have a "decent" life.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 AM

exactly...

Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 PM

261 posts, read 704,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoyBigHead View Post
exactly...
RE: Your firearms...

Bring them wherever you go. There's a big difference between "packing heat" which means carrying a concealed weapon while you're in public, and having a firearm to defend yourself while you're inside your home.

RE: A decent life

A "decent life" is a matter of perspective. Some people see driving a beamer and living in a 3 bedroom house with a white picket fence as bare minimum. I don't make $80k a year and I do just fine.

That being said...

RE: Tampa vs. Miami

Your salary will go a much longer way in Tampa. I spoke to a friend about 30 mins ago who just moved from Ft. Laud to Orlando, and he was raised in Tampa and has family there. He agreed that $30k will be much easier to live off of in Tampa or certain parts of Orlando than in South Florida. If money is the scale-tipper, you probably want to think about those areas now, and Miami later on in life.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Miami is a good place for young single people. If you don't like it after a year or two you can always leave, this is the best time in ones life to try living in different places. South Beach is where you should live, yes there are tourists, but that is where the locals hangout too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoyBigHead View Post
ok so this is my thread I guess; I've been posting in a few others but i guess i should have one too...

little bit of info bout me:
-Male
-Single
-Caucasian
-Grew up in Orlando, moved to Virginia in '98 just after all those Central Florida brush fires, still hating VA, going to bite the bullet and move back to FL.

With all that said, I have employment with the federal government, so worst case is, I transfer down to Miami with my current job, best case is, I have a few months before I can go and i try to apply for other employment.

I have a degree in International Relations and a minor in German and am more comfortable around people who are different than I and generally enjoy jumping "feet first" into different cultures and finding out if I sink or swim.

I took 6 years of spanish and that with growing up in FL you'd think i'd be fluent, but alas I got bored and switched to german so now i'm having to re-learn (and embarrass myself ) in it again.

with all that said, I'm looking for local's information on good areas to live, things to do (the local scene, not the "touristy" items... sure, i want to go to SoBe, but Orlando kinda touristed me out ), best places to eat, etc. I'm not looking to rent a house; a single room for me and my meager possessions (hey im just starting out in life! heh) or single bedroom apartment would suffice... I just dont want to end up living in say Overtown or Liberty City unless I'm packing my 870 with slugs

Can't really think of anything else at the moment, so thanks in advance...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami