Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,285 times

Advertisements

tank god i found this place to vent. Well im from Vermont and my grandma was born and raised in Miami in the 1960's. She has fond memories of the place and ive been looking for a change and to get out of Vermont, and my grannana reccomended miami. She told me basically it was like Atlanta with palm trees, and that now it was even better and world reknown for its theme parks they now. I couldnt wait n luckily I had money saved up and got a place on craigs list in brickell. I moved in right away without visiting (yea a mistake, sue me), and i am utterrly appalled at this city. i was expecting a young college crowd and parties and such, like the lovely city of Boston, a nice split of diversity, boy was i wrong.

-First, one thing i gotta ask is what is with all these french speaking africans? are they from like the ivory coast or something? i mean how did they get over here? sneak on board cruise ships or something? i found one working in a kfc my frist day in miami, and i expected this person to be an african-american male until he talked "oowhat du yu oowant tu iiit oowoman?" (wich reminded me, customer service here is the pits). i was completely thrown off, i was like "what?" he was like "tu iiiit?" and did funny little hand motions. At first i thought maybe he was an african-canadian from montreal, cause his name was something like "Jeanne" after all, n i was trying to make a friend and started small talk despite my uncomfort, like "u must be from montreal... cool im from vermont like 2 hours away." He looked completely and utterly confused, a complete lack of social and geographical skills, yet he acted like it was my fault. however he took to my small talk to strong, and asked me for my number. I'm like OK, i hate french people and i get EXTREMELY uncomfortable around black people (no offense, im not racist), so why would i go out with the two combined into one? Really, what kinda customer service is this? And he got my order wrong. Wow, not a great start Miami, step it up.

-The crime and drugs here are completely out of control. i remember i was trying to get to coconut grove from south beach and eneded up in a place called "Model City". Ok well, this could be adventorous I thought, the name sounded like a name of an art district or something. boy was i wrong, i got so completely turned around in a jungle of shacks and empty conrete structures, and i was lost, i had to stop, and unfortunately ask for directions. i pulled up to the only group of people in the area who were standing in a little huddle. they were of black descent so i figured they probably spoke french, so i pulled out my french phrase book and started slowly screaming a french question asking for directions. One the guys, wearing a XXXL Miami dolphins jersey, looked at me confused, and uttered "got rock, want suum?" He spoke american! i was so excited to make a new friend, and he wanted to talk about music too! Now was my chance i was like "no, i like pop instead" he was like "o aiight, got hyrdocodone fa five dollars a pop". oh my god, i was so scared, i actually talked to a drug dealer. my grannana used to take those for here chronic back pain, i never understood why someone would enjoy to take an extra strong Advil... makes no sense to me, must be some weird miami thing, i dunno. Needless to say i hightailed it outta there, and after driving in circles for what fealt like hours i ended up in an area called Hialeah, which brings me to my next point

-Why the heck are there so many Mexicans here? Holy crap, never seen such a concentrated mecca of Mexicans before in my whole life. i mean i like diversity and all, but really with so many mexicans, diversity starts to take a back seat to them. like everyone spoke espanol everywhere, was i in Miami or Cancun? You tell me, this place is weird. Last time I checked, the maya ruins were not built on top of the Everglades. Everyone here is foreigner, what happened to America sticking within american boundaries? I wanted that American utopia... places like, my home in Vermont, Atlanta, El Paso, Las Vegas, or Wisconsin. Was I in America? What kinda weird american type of mayor runs miami, to let so many foreigners dominate americana culture? Plus all there food made me sick, i think they try to poison me on purpose with pork. I hate pork. plus, they never heard of maple syrup, what kinda crazy backward culture is this? No one speaks english and i get verbally threatened, abused and assaulted at a walmart cause i don't speak spanish. Theyre music is so annyoing, like banging on drums with screaming and screeching trumpets, my head hurts thinkin about it. They need to learn music like the Beatles and folk music.

-New Yorkers. Ew, I'ma Red Sox fan, I hate New Yorkers they are so wicked friggin retarded. Theyre not from here why dont they go home. They talk about how they love theyre stupid citty so much, yet theyre always living somewhere else, like long island, miami, california or san juan. if ur city so great, do everyone else a favor and stay in it! losers.

-Where are the theme parks? The only theme here in this city is stupidity and poverty. I wanted to see Disney and universal, both of which are suppossed to be in florida, hence Miami... the largest city. Where are they, in the ocean? wow,this place could not be more backwards. what are you suppossed to do here for fun? Getting sunburned at the beach and dodging pelicans is only so fun for so long.

There's alot more, but in general thats about it. i wasted a whole month of my time coming here and i already wanna leave but im stuck. i was told this was like atlanta with palm trees? my grandma must have alltimers or something, it's more like mexico city on crack. why do u guys live here? i plan on hightailing it to the southern utopia of atlanta asap, ataltna without plam trees, lol, can't wait to get out. maybe i should have done more research, but the pictures of downtown looked nice, even though it's ntohing but shady electronic stores that sell VCR's, and had me going, boy what a scam. In short, Miami is nothing but a breeding ground for poverty, drugs and terrorism. well, thanks for listening to my rant, had alot to get off my chest. hopefully this city will get better in like the next year or so, cause it's laughable right now. Thanks, and signing out. Go Red Sox!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Miami has been in a steady state of decline since the 70's. Wave after wave of immigrants combined with a drug trade built the hell hole you see today. Miami was a nice place before then according to my parents and various old-timers, and I like what I saw in home movies, tourism promo films and pictures of the past. However, the selfish third world refugee and Eurotrash attitude has assured that Miami is all hype without much substance. You can go to the nicest part of Coral Gables or on one of the bay islands and view the luxury homes, and realize that 99% of this area is more like suburban hell or the ghetto.

Miami in the 80's had more crime, but vast areas of the old Miami still existed and life was better. As the Cuban refugees of the Mariel boatlift clobbered Miami all at once, it created a vortex that drew in Hatians, central Americans and more of the Venezuelans that often had oil or drug money to spend. Hurricane Andrew drove more of the native born residents away and although it was a tremendous bonus for south dade county, the real estate speculation and drug money was still ruining the area. I have never blamed the racial makeup of the area, but the attitude. Miami is all about self, and pursuing money. Too bad there is little in the area that is worth it.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM

976 posts, read 1,112,670 times
This post was hilarious! I agree with all the stuff you said. You just put a pretty funny twist on it!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:24 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has been in a steady state of decline since the 70's. Wave after wave of immigrants combined with a drug trade built the hell hole you see today. Miami was a nice place before then according to my parents and various old-timers, and I like what I saw in home movies, tourism promo films and pictures of the past. However, the selfish third world refugee and Eurotrash attitude has assured that Miami is all hype without much substance. You can go to the nicest part of Coral Gables or on one of the bay islands and view the luxury homes, and realize that 99% of this area is more like suburban hell or the ghetto.

Miami in the 80's had more crime, but vast areas of the old Miami still existed and life was better. As the Cuban refugees of the Mariel boatlift clobbered Miami all at once, it created a vortex that drew in Hatians, central Americans and more of the Venezuelans that often had oil or drug money to spend. Hurricane Andrew drove more of the native born residents away and although it was a tremendous bonus for south dade county, the real estate speculation and drug money was still ruining the area. I have never blamed the racial makeup of the area, but the attitude. Miami is all about self, and pursuing money. Too bad there is little in the area that is worth it.
Mexicans are a distinct minority in Miami. Most of the true Hispanic mestizos you see cowering around street corners or selling flowers/oranges at intersections are Nicaraguans, Guatemalans, Panamanians, etc.

On the Eurotrash thing, I think that this aspect can be healed with a large hurricane. Their little metrosexual teacup cars wouldn't be able to make it out of Brickell in even a minor flood...

Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
You guys are part of someones college psychology class experiment.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Another person that has changed their username to cover up and denounce Miami(4 tell ). Those French Africans you are alluding to are Haitians and it looks like you were looking for trouble going in to those types of neighborhoods,because you don't go wandering through neighborhoods trying to befriend people or ask for directions,you would stay on major thoroughfares,oh well just another bogus poster from the past.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You guys are part of someones college psychology class experiment.
Rum lime and Coke

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontBaayotch View Post
tank god i found this place to vent. Well im from Vermont and my grandma was born and raised in Miami in the 1960's. She has fond memories of the place and ive been looking for a change and to get out of Vermont, and my grannana reccomended miami. She told me basically it was like Atlanta with palm trees, and that now it was even better and world reknown for its theme parks they now. I couldnt wait n luckily I had money saved up and got a place on craigs list in brickell. I moved in right away without visiting (yea a mistake, sue me), and i am utterrly appalled at this city. i was expecting a young college crowd and parties and such, like the lovely city of Boston, a nice split of diversity, boy was i wrong.
Vermont beckons.

Quote:
-First, one thing i gotta ask is what is with all these french speaking africans? are they from like the ivory coast or something? i mean how did they get over here? sneak on board cruise ships or something? i found one working in a kfc my frist day in miami, and i expected this person to be an african-american male until he talked "oowhat du yu oowant tu iiit oowoman?" (wich reminded me, customer service here is the pits). i was completely thrown off, i was like "what?" he was like "tu iiiit?" and did funny little hand motions. At first i thought maybe he was an african-canadian from montreal, cause his name was something like "Jeanne" after all, n i was trying to make a friend and started small talk despite my uncomfort, like "u must be from montreal... cool im from vermont like 2 hours away." He looked completely and utterly confused, a complete lack of social and geographical skills, yet he acted like it was my fault. however he took to my small talk to strong, and asked me for my number. I'm like OK, i hate french people and i get EXTREMELY uncomfortable around black people (no offense, im not racist), so why would i go out with the two combined into one? Really, what kinda customer service is this? And he got my order wrong. Wow, not a great start Miami, step it up.
One word: Haitians. Not all black people speak African-American vernacular English.

Quote:
-The crime and drugs here are completely out of control. i remember i was trying to get to coconut grove from south beach and eneded up in a place called "Model City". Ok well, this could be adventorous I thought, the name sounded like a name of an art district or something. boy was i wrong, i got so completely turned around in a jungle of shacks and empty conrete structures, and i was lost, i had to stop, and unfortunately ask for directions. i pulled up to the only group of people in the area who were standing in a little huddle. they were of black descent so i figured they probably spoke french, so i pulled out my french phrase book and started slowly screaming a french question asking for directions. One the guys, wearing a XXXL Miami dolphins jersey, looked at me confused, and uttered "got rock, want suum?" He spoke american! i was so excited to make a new friend, and he wanted to talk about music too! Now was my chance i was like "no, i like pop instead" he was like "o aiight, got hyrdocodone fa five dollars a pop". oh my god, i was so scared, i actually talked to a drug dealer. my grannana used to take those for here chronic back pain, i never understood why someone would enjoy to take an extra strong Advil... makes no sense to me, must be some weird miami thing, i dunno. Needless to say i hightailed it outta there, and after driving in circles for what fealt like hours i ended up in an area called Hialeah, which brings me to my next point
You should try staying out of the ghetto.

Quote:
-Why the heck are there so many Mexicans here? Holy crap, never seen such a concentrated mecca of Mexicans before in my whole life. i mean i like diversity and all, but really with so many mexicans, diversity starts to take a back seat to them. like everyone spoke espanol everywhere, was i in Miami or Cancun? You tell me, this place is weird. Last time I checked, the maya ruins were not built on top of the Everglades. Everyone here is foreigner, what happened to America sticking within american boundaries? I wanted that American utopia... places like, my home in Vermont, Atlanta, El Paso, Las Vegas, or Wisconsin. Was I in America? What kinda weird american type of mayor runs miami, to let so many foreigners dominate americana culture? Plus all there food made me sick, i think they try to poison me on purpose with pork. I hate pork. plus, they never heard of maple syrup, what kinda crazy backward culture is this? No one speaks english and i get verbally threatened, abused and assaulted at a walmart cause i don't speak spanish. Theyre music is so annyoing, like banging on drums with screaming and screeching trumpets, my head hurts thinkin about it. They need to learn music like the Beatles and folk music.
The Mexican population in Miami-Dade County is pretty miniscule. Like cuba libre says above, most mestizo and Amerindian-appearing people are from Central America. Most of the white people I presume you saw speaking Spanish are Cuban, Venezuelan, Colombian, Argentinian, Spanish, or American or Euro-Latin origin. Oh, and you were "verbally threatened, abused, and assaulted at a Walmart"? That's pretty unbelievable to me.

Quote:
-New Yorkers. Ew, I'ma Red Sox fan, I hate New Yorkers they are so wicked friggin retarded. Theyre not from here why dont they go home. They talk about how they love theyre stupid citty so much, yet theyre always living somewhere else, like long island, miami, california or san juan. if ur city so great, do everyone else a favor and stay in it! losers.
I live in NYC and spend my vacations in Miami too - got a problem with it?

Quote:
-Where are the theme parks? The only theme here in this city is stupidity and poverty. I wanted to see Disney and universal, both of which are suppossed to be in florida, hence Miami... the largest city. Where are they, in the ocean? wow,this place could not be more backwards. what are you suppossed to do here for fun? Getting sunburned at the beach and dodging pelicans is only so fun for so long.
Theme parks, all-you-can-eat crappy food buffets, and touristy tackiness in general is up in Orlando. It's about a 3.5-hour drive if you wish to go.

Quote:
There's alot more, but in general thats about it. i wasted a whole month of my time coming here and i already wanna leave but im stuck. i was told this was like atlanta with palm trees? my grandma must have alltimers or something, it's more like mexico city on crack. why do u guys live here? i plan on hightailing it to the southern utopia of atlanta asap, ataltna without plam trees, lol, can't wait to get out. maybe i should have done more research, but the pictures of downtown looked nice, even though it's ntohing but shady electronic stores that sell VCR's, and had me going, boy what a scam. In short, Miami is nothing but a breeding ground for poverty, drugs and terrorism. well, thanks for listening to my rant, had alot to get off my chest. hopefully this city will get better in like the next year or so, cause it's laughable right now. Thanks, and signing out. Go Red Sox!
You should probably move. Miami is one of my favorite cities in this country, but it isn't for everyone, and clearly isn't for you. Perhaps you should stay out of Model City and check out some of the nice areas with dining, shopping, entertainment, and natural and architectural beauty.

Last edited by Marlin331; 09-12-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 04:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
Rum lime and Coke
Nah...if it was him I would acutally be laughing...

Old 09-12-2009, 04:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Nah...if it was him I would acutally be laughing...
I found the part where "she" pulled out a French phrase book quite amusing. Like people go around carrying a library in their car. The whole thing is made up and this thread should be deleted and the OP should be banned for having multiple accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami