Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
1.2 million people, or 52% of the people in Miami-Dade County are foreign born, or "from somewhere else". Of that 1.2 million, 93% came from Latin America.

Until you can explain how 93% of 1.2 million people of 2.3 million people is a minority, I will respectfully ignore your post.
Easy. With the numbers you have provided, 48.5% of Miami-Dade's population was born in Latin America, and yes, that is a minority. Oh, but keep reading, because it gets better.

Even if your numbers were higher, I could still explain this issue. Geographically, "Latin America" includes Anglophone (Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados), Lusophone (Brazil), and Francophone (Haiti, French Guiana) countries, as well as countries where Dutch is spoken (Suriname, Trinidad to a lesser extent). A sizeable chunk of Miami-Dade's foreign-born population originates from these countries. Furthermore, many people are infants or small children when they move to Miami from Spanish-speaking countries and never learn to speak Spanish well. Taking all of this into account, only a large minority, and certainly not a majority, of Miami-Dade residents speak Spanish well.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Easy. With the numbers you have provided, 48.5% of Miami-Dade's population was born in Latin America, and yes, that is a minority. Oh, but keep reading, because it gets better.

Even if your numbers were higher, I could still explain this issue. Geographically, "Latin America" includes Anglophone (Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados), Lusophone (Brazil), and Francophone (Haiti, French Guiana) countries, as well as countries where Dutch is spoken (Suriname, Trinidad to a lesser extent). A sizeable chunk of Miami-Dade's foreign-born population originates from these countries. Furthermore, many people are infants or small children when they move to Miami from Spanish-speaking countries and never learn to speak Spanish well. Taking all of this into account, only a large minority, and certainly not a majority, of Miami-Dade residents speak Spanish well.
I like your Moderator cut: Flaming list of 3rd world countries in the Western Hemisphere. Haiti, Suriname, French Guinea...

The Bahamas are part of """"Latin America""""? You're desperate tonight!

Miami spanish speaking population outnumber English speaking population - Google Search (4,280 results)

As of 2007, 67% of Miami-Dade residents spoke Spanish as a first language.

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-22-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM

I'm not desperate. I was just working with your original numbers, which are, not surprisingly, inconsistent with the new figure you post. Where did you get that figure, anyways? I recently read that slightly more than half of Miami-Dade residents "speak Spanish," let alone as a first language and let alone WELL. Just so you know, speaking Spanish as a first language doesn't equate to being able to speak Spanish well now. I know plenty of people whose parents tried to teach them Spanish first and/or during teaching them English and who have all but forgotten their Spanish.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not desperate. I was just working with your original numbers, which are, not surprisingly, inconsistent with the new figure you post.
That is easily explained. The first number was the % "foriegn born" population. The second number was the % of Miami Dade residents who speak Spanish as a first language, either from the home country or from their parents who never learned English.

Really, Crisp, The Bahamas part of Latin America???

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
That is easily explained. The first number was the % "foriegn born" population. The second number was the % of Miami Dade residents who speak Spanish as a first language, either from the home country or from their parents who never learned English.

Really, Crisp, The Bahamas part of Latin America???
Read my post above. And yes, The Bahamas are geographically - as I already specified - part of Latin America. Culturally, the Bahamas are not Latin, but geographically, it can be argued - and often is - that the Bahamas are part of Latin America.

Latin America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Often, particularly in the United States, the term ("Latin America") more broadly refers to all of the Americas south of the United States; thus, English-speaking countries such as Belize, Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda, St. Lucia, Dominica, Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and the Bahamas, as well as Haiti and Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, the Netherlands Antilles, Aruba and Suriname are included."

Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Funny, I don't see the Bahamas shaded green like all the other Latin American countries. Same thing goes for Jamaica.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM

In a previous post I specified that the Bahamas are not culturally Latin. However, I also explained that many macro definitions of "Latin America" include all of the Americas that are (generally) south of the United States, which includes the Bahamas. Many people disagree on this issue.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
In a previous post I specified that the Bahamas are not culturally Latin. However, I also explained that many macro definitions of "Latin America" include all of the Americas that are (generally) south of the United States, which includes the Bahamas. Many people disagree on this issue.
OK... Never thought of it that way.

Maybe Spanish speakers will start flooding the Bahamas like Miami, then the Bahamas would officially become part of Latin America! Have a good night Crisp.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 AM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Quote:
Funny, I don't see the Bahamas shaded green like all the other Latin American countries. Same thing goes for Jamaica.
Are you drunk Cuba Libre? Ah, Quebec belongs to Latin America! LOL. Now I understand the joke about Americans and geography. By the way, why did you choose FIU knowing in advance the demography of Miami?

PD: Bahamas belongs to the Caribbean which is part of South America, but this lecture is for another class because da!mn after a year in this forum we still are trying to teach you that the term Hispanic or Latin does not imply race or geography zone but cultural background.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,409 times
Miami 2009 >> "Presione 1 para Español, Press 2 for English"

Florida 2015 >> "Presione 1 para Español, Press 2 for English"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami