Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
No, just fired from customer service, retail, general labor and any other working man's jobs, unless they speak English as the primary language. MAYBE make an exception if we are talking about like Telemundo or some other Latin American company.

I don't get why you would want to speak Spanish over English anyways if you have fluency in the two. I'm half Mexican, completely fluent in English and know a large amount of Spanish, my cousin, is fully fluent in both. We both agree that Spanish is just obsolete when compared to English. It's exhausting to speak it. You have to move your mouth so much and spit out twice the amount of syllables and five times the amount of words to say something that in English would only take like two or three words. Not mention you have to add in sometimes stupid redundant words like la, le, lo, etc. even when there is an object in the phrase that serve no purpose in the meaning of your sentence except to make it redundant(Example: madre le da a Juan un zapato, Exact translation: mother gives *to him* Juan a shoe. Yet in English your expected to translate it into "Mother gives Juan a shoe"). Sorry, just a Spanish pet peeve, but it's annoying, and makes no sense why someone would choose to speak Spanish over English, if you knew both. It seems obsolete. Every other hispanic american here in Chicago seems to agree too.
And just because a microscopic minority of non spanish speakers don't want to hear Spanish, things are not gonna change to please a very small part of the population. Newsflash: The world does not revolve around you.

And listen, that Spanish translation you made is wrong. That's not the way native speakers talk, that's the way foreigners talk. Please don't give out Spanish lessons if you are not fluent yourself.

Last edited by pitillanquis; 10-03-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 03:33 PM

156 posts, read 251,260 times
No, just fired from customer service, retail, general labor and any other working man's jobs, unless they speak English as the primary language. MAYBE make an exception if we are talking about like Telemundo or some other Latin American company.
--------

I propose setting up a Committee in Dade County to fire all employees that speak Spanish on their jobs. It could be named the Committee on Un-English Activities.

Yes, Spanish or any foreign language is obsolete. Foreigners should learn English. Yes, Spanish adds a lost of words like la, le, li and is not a proper language.

Being a half-Mexican, it's great that people like you discard their useless cultural baggage.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-03-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM

668 posts, read 2,350,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitillanquis View Post
Newsflash: The world does not revolve around you.
No, but Miami does revolve around an English speaking country called the United States. And who said anything about a small population of English speakers not wanting Spanish? Last time I checked, the United States had a population around 300 million, that's not too small if you ask me.

And yeah, no crap about the sample I used, it was a very basic sample to show people with no Spanish history how Spanish is taught- which comes off as pretty redundant and tiresome compared to English grammar.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM

668 posts, read 2,350,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
--------

Being a half-Mexican, it's great that people like you discard their useless cultural baggage.
What the hell? Who said anything about discarding my cultural heriatge? I love my Mexican and fellow Latin American cultures. Some of my family even still celebrates Dia de los Muertos. Just because I want English around instead of Spanish does not mean I want all Latin Americans to abandon their culture and traditions. That's where everybody seems to get confused. In fact, I want Miami to keep it's large Latin American population and influence, it's what makes Miami unique and different. It's just I, and many others, just want them to speak English. It would be a sad in Chicago too, if all Mexicans, and even Puerto Ricans just dissapeared. I dont think I'm asking too much to learn and speak the language of the country you're in, like MY ancestors did.
For instance, Italians still keep very close to their culture. If an Italian grandmother, for example, is writing down a special recipe for a type of spaghetti sauce for future generations of the family, I don't think she'll be writing it in Italian. No, she'll probably be writing it in English, like every other family of immigrants that came to America. Like my family.
Disgarding a culture, and disgarding a language that's no longer necessary in the country you're living in is two entirely different things. I'm not asking to Cubans to eat apple pie and go deer hunting, I'm just asking for them to learn English, like Latino's, and every other culture, everywhere in America are doing.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,635,590 times
Quote:
I'm not asking to Cubans to eat apple pie and go deer hunting, I'm just asking for them to learn English, like Latino's, and every other culture, everywhere in America are doing.
Most people who complain about people that "no speakie English" are, in general, not complaining about Cubans; they're complaining about recently-arrived Central Americans, and to a lesser extent, recently-arrived South Americans. Most Cubans in Miami have been living in this country for years and speak English; ALL Cuban-Americans raised in Miami speak English fluently.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 AM

Banx

Just one question out of the blue. Why do you want Latins in Miami to behave like Mexicans or Puertorricans in their different ghettos spread around the U.S?

Latins in Miami, and Cubans most of all, are the only sucessful Latin Community in the US. The income of second generation Cubans, and probably second generation South Americans living in Miami, is higher than the income of Anglos.

Just another question, do you think that Anglos really care if Hispanics speaks English or not? Do you think that Hispanics will have better chances of assimilation if they only speak English?

The answer is NO.

Do they complain about Spanish in California as much as the do in Dade and South Florida? No, because they are Dominant there and they don't care if the Mexican or Guatemalan gardener only speaks ten words in English.

Just a opinion.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-05-2009 at 03:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,057,609 times
Quote:
What the hell? Who said anything about discarding my cultural heriatge? I love my Mexican and fellow Latin American cultures. Some of my family even still celebrates Dia de los Muertos. Just because I want English around instead of Spanish does not mean I want all Latin Americans to abandon their culture and traditions. That's where everybody seems to get confused. In fact, I want Miami to keep it's large Latin American population and influence, it's what makes Miami unique and different. It's just I, and many others, just want them to speak English. It would be a sad in Chicago too, if all Mexicans, and even Puerto Ricans just dissapeared. I dont think I'm asking too much to learn and speak the language of the country you're in, like MY ancestors did.
For instance, Italians still keep very close to their culture. If an Italian grandmother, for example, is writing down a special recipe for a type of spaghetti sauce for future generations of the family, I don't think she'll be writing it in Italian. No, she'll probably be writing it in English, like every other family of immigrants that came to America. Like my family.
Disgarding a culture, and disgarding a language that's no longer necessary in the country you're living in is two entirely different things. I'm not asking to Cubans to eat apple pie and go deer hunting, I'm just asking for them to learn English, like Latino's, and every other culture, everywhere in America are doing.
Damn fine point .... my wife is Cuban and feels the same way you do .... Nosferatu the vampire's post sounds bigoted and ignorant .... love the way you responded .

Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 AM

-----------

But Spanish is necessary in South Florida, and it will far more necessary in the near future.

You stated that Spanish is redundant and not necessary, that might be the case in other areas of the U.S were Latinos live, but not in South Florida.

You keep comparing Dade and South Florida with Latino enclaves in the U.S, not comparable. In fact, Miami is more of a foothold.

As to the knowledge of English among Hispanics in Miami, except very old people or very recent arrivals, they'all speak perfect English. But one thing I find diminishing and idiotic is to speak English to Hispanics if you know Spanish.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-05-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM

199 posts, read 473,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Most people who complain about people that "no speakie English" are, in general, not complaining about Cubans; they're complaining about recently-arrived Central Americans, and to a lesser extent, recently-arrived South Americans. Most Cubans in Miami have been living in this country for years and speak English; ALL Cuban-Americans raised in Miami speak English fluently.
Yes, all cuban-americans speak English but there are plenty of recently-arrived Cubans and they sure don't speak English. Actually they are the ones that seem to refuse to speak English the most and have more of the "we don't need to speak English attitude", or in other words arrogance because they feel they built this city. Don't blame other Latin Americans.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 AM

Logger

That's has been going on during the last 50 years.
Even since 1959, all Cubans knew that if they didn't learn English, they were condemned to the "Cubanería" of Miami for their rest of their lives, and their prospect of success were next to zero.
But in the end, they all learned English because good English and good Spanish are necessary there.
Everybody is learning English in Cuba (before it was forbidden), so I guess that many of the recent arrivals will know English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami