Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM

13 posts, read 24,828 times

Advertisements

all of these issues will be resolved in less than a year, as the remainder of the new terminal opens

since the new administration took over a few years ago, they have made every construction deadline, even coming in ahead of schedule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I just used MIA a few days ago (American Terminals E and D). Same old same old, I didn't have access to the new terminals. There was a Pizza Hut kiosk beyond security and vending machines, pretty bad.

Comming back, immigration actually went quick (through immigration). Baggage took forever to arrive and then pass through customs. There was a lot of misorganization of people continuing on to connecting flights with the luggage...

Basically, I had the same experience I always do at MIA. Poor layout, poor food options...and I didn't see any of the positive changes....

Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
D is the new terminal...

Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Part two of the slogan "And even if the other airport problems don't bother you, don't drive up to FLL!" That is a good one lol. (Fly out of MIA no matter how much it sucks). Personally, I use it because of the international destinations, but if there were a convenient alternative, I would use it over MIA in a heartbeat. i.e. It wouldn't make sense for me to fly to Houston to continue on to Latin America when I can take a direct flight from here. But the day FLL improves their international lineup to include more destinations to the south, trust me, I would rather walk to FLL on my knees than keep giving MIA my business unless it is radically changed.

MIA has also lost business because of it's mismanagement, which is why FLL now has international flights to Latin America with Spirit and US Air. Atlanta is also a Latin American hub for Delta. Houston for Continental. And so on. Miami is no longer the only connecting airport...and it is obvious by the growth in the other international Latin American gateway airports that MIA has not kept up. It sat on its laurels. Of course, MIA has also relied on a steady flow of passengers with no alternatives, and even now when some people have options, they just accept the problems like you did and try to minimize them. I never understood that, it is almost like people are insecure with themselves and Miami and to criticize the city or anything here is like an attack on themself. Not all airports are this corrupt and poorly run!!! Traveling doesn't have to be this unenjoyable!!

I think a lot of people have your attitude which is why MIA hasn't changed or had meaningfully imrpovements over the years. Just because you're satisfied with a sub par airport doesn't mean the majority of traverls are. Nowadays, airports are competitive and MIA is usually ranked at the bottom for a reason.
MIA will be a much nicer and convenient airport than FLL in about 2-3 years. FLL is really not that nice, it is small its food options are very limited especially in Terminal 1 and the International Terminal which is also FLL largest airline terminal Spirit. Also lets not forget how lucky we are in Miami to have a major international airport 7 miles from Downtown. I live half the year in Washington DC and if I want to fly anywhere outside the US east coast I need to either spend $50 on a cab or take a metro and than a bus (about a 1hour trip) to get to Washington Dulles. JFK is far from the city, Denver, LAX, Chicago O Hare. We are lucky to have such a convenient airport like MIA.

Also you could not be more wrong about MIA losing business. MIA has only been growing. (post 9/11) American Airlines will have over 300 daily flights out of MIA this year the most in their 20 years of having MIA as their hub. It is American Airlines second largest hub after Dallas Ft. Worth and MIA is just about the only reason AA has not had to claim bankruptcy like most of the other large airlines. Delta hub at Atlanta and Continentals hub in Houston do not even come close to comparing to American Airlines at Miami for flights to Latin America and the Caribbean. US Airways no longer fly’s internationally out of FLL either. Spirit, Jet Blue and American Airlines are the only domestic major airlines which have International flights out of FLL.

FLL will never be able to come close to competing with MIA in international destinations since first the airlines that serve FLL don’t fly long hauls like American Airlines and 2nd FLL international terminal and customs is worse than MIA.
MIA has relied on the 2nd largest airline in the world having its largest International Hub there. That is why MIA is the 3rd busiest airport in international traffic in the United States. Also MIA is the premier airport for the airlines. MIA gets much more business travel traffic and cargo than FLL does. That is where airlines make their money. That is why MIA can charge more to the airlines. than FLL and that is why airlines like Allegiant, Spirit and Southwest fly to FLL those airlines dont offer perks and first class service like mainline airlines do so they offer cheaper tickets. Yet AA is always exremley competitive with Jet Blue and many other airlines flying the same routes they fly out of MIA from FLL.

This argument and these complaints will all be moot in about 2-3 years. One World will be in the world class North Terminal, Star Alliance in Concourse J and Skyteam in Concourse H. All very nice and modern terminals, there wont be as much complaining any more because MIA will be on par with all the other major hubs around the country. (except for Detroit that place is awesome)

Quote:
I just used MIA a few days ago (American Terminals E and D). Same old same old, I didn't have access to the new terminals. There was a Pizza Hut kiosk beyond security and vending machines, pretty bad.

Comming back, immigration actually went quick (through immigration). Baggage took forever to arrive and then pass through customs. There was a lot of misorganization of people continuing on to connecting flights with the luggage...

Basically, I had the same experience I always do at MIA. Poor layout, poor food options...and I didn't see any of the positive changes....
You were just in E the old terminal D is new and spacious with some decent food options. You could walk from D to E without going out of security. The newest and best terminal is Councourse J which is not connected to AA terminal and is used by various International and Domestic Airlines.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 10-23-2009 at 03:35 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Maybe I am wrong about the Terminal numbers? I am almost positive I had to use Terminal E, and I went there, and there was no access and a tiny sign said to use the Terminal D entrance. It was something like that, I just don't recall the exact letters. Whatever terminal I went to was old, but yes there was access to the other terminal. It was two floors but I stayed on the lower level. I really didn't pay too much attention to any other areas. Like I said, there was a Pizza Hut Kiosk and a Chilis To Go cooler that was empty and a nameless food kiosk, that was it. The terminal being new?? I doubt it. It looked old. I have been in the new terminals on the north end...this was in the middle. I was expecting these terminals to be like the ones on the north side, but I was disappointed when I saw they were the same. I actually ended up eating outside secuirty at that food court with the BK and Bacardi Bar.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I haven't flown out of MIA in over 8 years, I just refuse to use MIA even though I live 15 minutes south. I will drive 45 minutes north to FLL and fly out of FLL in a heart beat over MIA (I don't fly American anyways). MIA is just to much of a hassle it seemed. I took someone to MIA a year ago, waited in line with them at the AA ticket counter, what a crazy place that was. I could care less what an airport has in it, if its new or old, if its not an easy process for me to park, get to the gate and board, catch a cab, I will take a smaller airport any day.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 24,828 times
flymia is correct, over the next 1 1/2 years mia will become far superior and more convenient than fll.

here is the upcoming time line of some openings coming up at mia:

-oct. 30 (next week) new entrance, new curbside check-in, new ticket counters

-apr '10 new rental car center opening

-jun '10 new automated baggage handling system

-aug '10 new automated in-terminal train

so in less than 10 months most major aspects of the new construction will be complete.

in 2011 the new customs and immigration will be complete, as well as the train to rental car and metrorail, plus a rebuild of the main drive through the airport

Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Södermalm View Post
flymia is correct, over the next 1 1/2 years mia will become far superior and more convenient than fll.

here is the upcoming time line of some openings coming up at mia:

-oct. 30 (next week) new entrance, new curbside check-in, new ticket counters

-apr '10 new rental car center opening

-jun '10 new automated baggage handling system

-aug '10 new automated in-terminal train

so in less than 10 months most major aspects of the new construction will be complete.

in 2011 the new customs and immigration will be complete, as well as the train to rental car and metrorail, plus a rebuild of the main drive through the airport
Exactly, also the overhead train system will be oppening in November for a few of its stations in concourse D. Add the fact that in about 2 years MIA will be newer and nice than FLL. Also of course it is closer to the city center and has more diverse amount of destinations to fly to non-stop.

I takes time to build a brand new airport over a fully running one.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Section Of New MIA Terminal To Open - Travel News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.justnews.com/travelgetaways/21477499/detail.html# - broken link)

http://cbs4.com/local/MIA.north.terminal.2.1281422.html (broken link)

Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:

Comming back, immigration actually went quick (through immigration). Baggage took forever to arrive and then pass through customs.
I just used MIA and there were also no lines in the immigration area(they had more officers than usual actually)

My bags came back right away, but they always do when I come back from Europe or fly within the USA. It is not true when I come back from Colombia for obvious reasons(drug screening) Someone coming from latin America will always experience delays with their baggage. I'm not sure if that was your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami