Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,433 times

Advertisements

I'm 28, single, and from the midwest. Every winter I end up leaving because I can't deal with cold weather. I've lived in Sydney, Vancouver, Queenstown NZ and Fiji. I'm considering moving to Miami for the next 4-6 months. I'm a huge fan of the beach, volleyball, surfing, clubs,etc. and looking for the best place to do this.

But I see a lot of negativism on these boards when describing Miami. Is it worth it to move there for the winter, or should I look elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 59,909 times
I've been going through something similar, except I'm not in the mid-west, and I'd like to live in Miami permanently.

This doesn't really help answer your question, but maybe it'll help you see that you're not alone in your thinking.

Besides, when I calculated how much it would cost for me to fly to Miami every other weekend and rent a hotel room, I'd probably be better off just moving there if that's where my heart is.

People will say that's crazy, but if you know yourself and what's in your heart, and if you just won't be able to stand it unless your in Miami, then go for it. I'm going for it.

Good luck, and uh, maybe one day I'll see you there, or something.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Unless you have a significant source of income you may never have time to "enjoy" Miami. Being October and STILL miserable the weather wears you down over time. Surfing is out of the question unless we get a hurricane. Unless you are drunk or stoned the nightlife is boring. Once we get our first cold front, maybe next month I suggest spending some time in Miami, but remember, the weather is lousy 9 months out of the year. Then again, you really need to be here for a hurricane, it is a blast!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:08 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdusts View Post
I'm 28, single, and from the midwest. ... I've lived in Sydney, Vancouver, Queenstown NZ and Fiji. I'm considering moving to Miami for the next 4-6 months. I'm a huge fan of the beach, volleyball, surfing, clubs,etc. and looking for the best place to do this.

Is it worth it to move there for the winter, or should I look elsewhere?
Since you have experience in this sort of nomadic lifestyle and

- if your time horizon is 4-6 months,

- if, as mentioned, you have an independent source of income,

- and/or if you are willing to put up with a low-level service job,

- if you want to add one more city to your list,

- and if then you have plans to move on,

then I'd say yes, go for it, it will be one more experience, you are still relatively young, and next year you could try somewhere else.

However, I would suggest starting your 4-6 months in January: as mentioned, there are cold spells, especially in November/December, though they usually last no longer than a week at most.

Also, as mentioned, this is not surfing country, unless, as mentioned, under tropical storm or hurricane conditions, which will not occur during the January-June period.

After Miami, you will have had experience on both sides of the Pacific and on both sides of North America. So next year I would suggest Faro, in the Algarve region of Portugal, the western most edge of the Eurasian landmass, then after that, who knows, maybe somewhere in Africa, then somewhere on the east coast of the Eurasian land mass.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 10-11-2009 at 05:21 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Question Key West

Have you considered Key West......not much of a beach...but my wife and I have spent several weeks down there during different parts of the snowbird season and found it to be quiet active......we were out and about at all hours of the day and night...and there was always something going on...I do not think we could live there year roung...but for the 4 - 6 months you are looking at...it should work...

Old 10-11-2009, 06:35 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
go to San Diego instead

Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
You could live under a rock for 6 months. Sure! Go for it. We're not all bad and the "winter" here is awesome. You need a car. You can move around all over Florida, to the Keys, to the west coast, to Disney, to Jacksonville, etc (you get the picture) and get to know this state and all its different "vibes".

It doesn't really sound like you HAVE to work so I think it would be a great experience. Come on down!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:45 AM

27 posts, read 70,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
go to San Diego instead
Agreed--San Diego has the best weather, the beautiful Pacific Ocean, mountains, an urbanizing downtown, Torrey Pines, La Jolla, Encinitas. Traffic and COL are the downsides, but the weather is so fantastic--the quality of the light is amazing, almost intoxicating. The city is very diverse. If I had a job on the table, I'd head back there.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:20 PM

177 posts, read 571,064 times
I visited my friend in San Diego last week and even attened the chargers vs. dolphins game over there and its got to the the best city in the US i have ever visited. Can't wait to go again!!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:03 PM

42 posts, read 124,923 times
Miami is great for singles.

Just make sure you make at least $3,000 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami