U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM

3,721 posts, read 4,688,496 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!
Im planning to move to Miami area but i hear a lot about poor areas and stuff like that which doesnt sound great to be honest ;P
I just finished my travel and Tourism course in england so i would be lookin for job related in tourism, e.g Travel agencies, Hotels, travel rep or airport jobs. I know that the economy is bad everywhere righ now, but is tourism a big industry in Miami area?
Another thing is a place to live. I would like to rent a room in Miami Beach, downtown Miami or Sunny Beach Isles. How much would it be? i see a lot of ROOMS for rent in Miami beach for around $600 - $700.
Or maybe it would be better to rent a studio in any of theses places. Is it expensive? How are the bills?
and last question ;P Is there a lot of young people living in downtown miami, miami beach and are these areas safe?

Or maybe do u think i should move to a different city/ state?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM

261 posts, read 642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Hi everyone!!
Im planning to move to Miami area but i hear a lot about poor areas and stuff like that which doesnt sound great to be honest ;P
I just finished my travel and Tourism course in england so i would be lookin for job related in tourism, e.g Travel agencies, Hotels, travel rep or airport jobs. I know that the economy is bad everywhere righ now, but is tourism a big industry in Miami area?
Another thing is a place to live. I would like to rent a room in Miami Beach, downtown Miami or Sunny Beach Isles. How much would it be? i see a lot of ROOMS for rent in Miami beach for around $600 - $700.
Or maybe it would be better to rent a studio in any of theses places. Is it expensive? How are the bills?
and last question ;P Is there a lot of young people living in downtown miami, miami beach and are these areas safe?

Or maybe do u think i should move to a different city/ state?

Well, I can only speak to what's going on in MIA, as that's where I live. So not sure about other cities/states...

As far as being a single male, you could do a lot worse than Miami! We've got just about the most beautiful women in the country...or, if guys is your thing, South Beach is definitely your place lol

In terms of jobs, they are fairly plentiful. Now, finding a high-paying one in those industries? Those are a little harder to come by. These days, most jobs are hard to come by...I'm wondering if it might not be better to give it a year and see how the economy does...

Miami Beach is full of $600-$700 studios in fairly good areas, just don't expect luxury. If for whatever reason my source of income went south and I had to move out of my apartment into some really cheap housing, I'd go to a studio on the beach.

Now in terms of bills and expenses, Miami isn't expensive in the same way New York or LA is, but it still tops most places. Car insurance is particularly pricey.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM

yeah it does! I love miami beach, its so beautiful. I dont even think its that pricey because after living in UK for few years everything seems cheap ;P

Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 27,893,038 times
Miami will seem cheap compared to London. How can the city with the most sexy women in the USA be bad for a single male?! I can't say much for jobs in your field considering what I study is a 180 degree difference but what I can say is people often have trouble finding jobs like that due to not speaking spanish. I'm not sure when you are looking to move, but I'd try and learn Spanish before you come. You'll find a job, but even knowing spanish makes life a lot more enjoyable in Miami. As far as rent goes, the guy above me said he saw a studio for 600 on the beach so i'll take his word for it, but when I was thinking about living on South Beach a lot of what i saw was 700-800 with a roommate in a 2/2 apt.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM

cool, so when for example if rent for studio is $800/month what other bills do you usually have to pay? or are they included in the rent?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 27,893,038 times
usually you just have to pay electric, sometimes internet

Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Maybe cable as well...water/maintenance is usually taken care of by the owner

Old 10-15-2009, 08:35 PM

140 posts, read 462,640 times
The hotel market is generally poor across the board right now, though Miami stats are better than other locales. Google Smith Travel Research for accurate stats across different markets in the U.S.

Front line positions pay poorly, and most airport/visitors bureau jobs are reserved for citizens or permanent residents. In addition, in Miami, you will most likely have to be bilingual (Eng / Span) for most front line positions. In Fort Lauderdale, it is less essential to be bilingual.

But you don't need a degree to work at the front desk, so if you have a degree or advanced training, you should consider working on the operations side. The cruise ships (Discovery, Norwegian, Carnival) all have major operations centers here. Also check out hotel operators that have major operations centers here including Fontainebleu/Turnberry, Kimpton, Kor, Kerzner (Atlantis). Unfortunately, most of these are in downsizing mode.

And don't forget you will need to get the visa issue taken care of as well. I suggest you find a job that will sponsor your work permit before you make plans to move to Miami ... unless you're willing to work under the table in housekeeping or wait staff.

Last edited by feelquiet; 10-15-2009 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 AM

i dont speak any spanish so i dont have any chances of finding a job in a travel agency or something like that without spanish? i am also considering west palm beach and cape coral

Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
i dont speak any spanish so i dont have any chances of finding a job in a travel agency or something like that without spanish? i am also considering west palm beach and cape coral
Yeah, give WPB or the Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Sarasota area a shot...it's not impossible, but it does make it harder in the Miami travel industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami