U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM

14 posts, read 55,581 times

Advertisements

ok-my husband is going to be stationed at US Southern Command in Miami(actually Doral) and I have kids who will be going into 5th and 8th grades-since we have 3 year orders I will need elem.,middle, and highschool which is proving tough. Would also consider private, but who knew there were SO many private schools down there? any, all suggestions appreciated-thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,082,224 times
The best private schools are Columbus (all boys school), Carolton (girls school), Baleen (I think it is a boys school?????), Westminster, Gulliver, Ransom Everglades, Lourdes (girls) Apifany (sp??? all boys). Some of these are at $15k, most are around $20k a year if not more now.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:20 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,002,075 times
A number of those schools listed are in Coconut Grove. That's quite a trek from Doral every day!

Why not enroll them in the public school in the area and see how it goes? You can always check out private schools after moving down here

Old 05-12-2007, 09:02 AM

159 posts, read 747,760 times
They built a new High School in Doral this year. It's called Ronald Reagan/Doral High. Don't know much about it, though.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 9,579 times
Default Considering the traffic, the best advice is...

Considering the traffic, the best advice is to put the kids in a school close to where you live. Take the advice of TriDad.

The distance from Doral to Belen is doable. Lourdes Academy (for Girls) is outstanding, albeit some what snobby, but a good education can be had there. Epiphany (same location as Lourdes) is good for the younger grades, 1 to 9. However, you don't just walk into these two schools and enroll. It helps to get you in if your Uncle is related to the Pope. (Mine was related to the Monsignor. My daughter got in!) <

Or, consider living close to where the schools are that doggiebus suggested;that would be in South Miami, Coral Gables or Coconut Grove. Let your husband drive the distance to work. He'll likely be spending more time there than at home, anyway. Depending, of course, on his military rank and if you can afford those neighborhoods AND the tuition.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 55,581 times
public school is what they are used to and attend now, i am just having a difficult time finding an area with good elementary,middle and highschool.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 13,661 times
Default are schools really bad?

are the schools in the miami area really bad? I have heard that they are but have not been in the area in years.I moved out to Irvine Cali when I was eighteen and have not been to florida in years.Do many people send their kids to private school because the schools bite? How could any normal person afford 15-20K a year for high school or middle school? those private schools must be for the rich?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,556,418 times
The schools in Palm Beach County are pretty bad and I could only imagine that they're probably the same or worse down in Dade.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,518 times
Red face Miami Schools

In my opinion, the best public schools are in the Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay area. Get the kids tested for the gifted program immediately, they will be staffed there through high school and see if you can get them in the magnets, i.e., Coral Reef Senior High and Southwood. There is a Christian private school, Westminster which my friends have been happy with also. Even with all of that, when you apply for college, you will find that the Ivys and better universities do not consider straight A's at Florida schools very impressive because Florida (and Texas) are not known for their school systems. The gifted classes will make your kids more competitive, offer better education, and keep them with other gifted kids. One more piece of advice -- learn Spanish if you don't speak it already.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,082,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequestachief View Post
are the schools in the miami area really bad? I have heard that they are but have not been in the area in years.I moved out to Irvine Cali when I was eighteen and have not been to florida in years.Do many people send their kids to private school because the schools bite? How could any normal person afford 15-20K a year for high school or middle school? those private schools must be for the rich?
Many people that live in Pinecrest, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables don't send their kids to the public schools, many place them in the private schools. So what ends up happening is kids from the neighboring areas will get bussed into schools like Palmetto. Obviously some kids in these areas do go to their neighborhood public schools, but many do go to the private schools, my sister taught at Palmetto thats what she told me...These schools are for the wealthy yes, but many kids have parents that both work, and the moms salary might be just for the kids tuition. My old boss worked just to pay for her kids tuition to go to these private schools, if her kids just went to public school and she didn't work they would of been fine as the husband made 6 figures. But they wanted their kids to go to these schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or