Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 PM

16 posts, read 9,828 times

Advertisements

Alrighty then, some administrator has Moderator cut: calling out a moderator

I just wanted to thank you all for the information. The wrangling has actually provided me with some good insight. Many of the posts reminded me of why my family moved out of Miami back in the 80's--the boatlift and McDuffy era. The crime seemed excessive then. I'm surprised to hear that it has not improved. In fact, I visited Miami (South Beach) and Kendall (near UM) and the atmosphere seemed better. I didn't see the refugee poverty and crime atmosphere that I remember in the 80's. Of course, I didn't have time to explore deep Hialeah and the inner city. I also began to think of the roaches and the relocating risk. I'd had to move into an expensive apartment and have to deal with a roach infestation or loud music. It seems like other cities hold more promise for college educated Latino's who want to explore professional opportunities, have degree of personal safety and lower cost of living.

Moderator cut: off topic for this forum In essence, some Anglos are probably disgusted with the adjustments they're forced to make. Where's the middle ground for the first generation Latino?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 PM

106 posts, read 380,472 times
You cannot compare miami to New York Chicago or any real big american city for that matter. Miami is truly unique and so are her problems.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 PM

158 posts, read 647,131 times
Miami was ranked best city for hispanic professionals.
And from what ive heard out of this forum is that Miami has improved increasily since the 80's. Probaly the only thing they say got worse is the traffic, the crime has lowered and the refugee mass from the 80's has also dropped.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMR09 View Post
Miami was ranked best city for hispanic professionals.
And from what ive heard out of this forum is that Miami has improved increasily since the 80's. Probaly the only thing they say got worse is the traffic, the crime has lowered and the refugee mass from the 80's has also dropped.
dude, u have got to be a real estate agent or have major money tied up in an overpriced home and hope to save miami's horrible image because you dont have a clue. this kid should stay as far away from miami as is possible and any level headed intelligent anglo, hispanic or latin would tell him the same thing.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM

"DUDE" I already told you im none of that im just telling him what i know and think, you have a diffrent view of Miami but guess what not everybody feels the way you do.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
jdmr09 where are u from originally? how long in miami? how do u overlook all the issues and the insanity of it all in miami? if u have been there less than 3 years then u could still be in the honeymoon phase where everything is great no matter what...i went through this for several years where no one was going to rain on my tropical parade and pardise in south flroida...eventually i broke, i just couldnt take it and i admitted to myself and others what its really like here....many had warned me before hand and i only feel its considerate for me to help save others...but u r right, some people just do like living in miami...if not incredibly wealthy or just some transient party kid lost in the club scene i dont see how?? to each his own.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM

16 posts, read 9,828 times
I'm not sure why I'm being referred to as "kid," but I'll take it as a sign that Miami has an alluring mystery to it. As for the hispanic professional issue, I've heard the cost of living offsets the potential for higher income. I met a transplant who said his monthly insurance rates exceeded his monthly mortgage payment. He sold his house and lucked out because it was later damaged in a hurricane. Atlanta is starting to seem like the better option for me. Maybe an employer will see Knoxville on my resume and take a chance. It seems like an employer in Miami would be less likely to take the risk unless I was already established. Miami just seems like there are too many barriers to get there and then deal with once there.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 PM

44 posts, read 137,642 times
Miami is NOT as bad as people it make it seem here. Absurd. Even the Miami ghettos are not nearly as bad either not even little Haiti. Try living in Newark NJ, or some of the ghettos in LA. Now those are some real ghettos. From personal experience actually having lived or visited all these places, Miami is leave it to beaver literally, one of my cousins visited here and when i took him to places like little Havana and little Haiti he just laughed at me when i told him that these were some of the "bad" areas of Miami I remember my cousins having to walk me to school with a gun back in Newark. In some parts of LA just wearing the wrong colors no matter what race you are will get you shot. For all the Miami bashers calling it a third world country. Have ever of you even visited a third world country? I'm half Latin and i have. Trust me its not. You know what a third world country really is. It's little kids having to go sell candy on the streets barefoot. It means never knowing if you're going to have enough money to eat. For god sake being poor in Miami means having a car, cable TV, a wifi connection, and an ever growing obesity problem. Are Miami people rude. Hell yes we are and i say it proudly. New yorkers are just as rude and everybody seems to accept them. That is why some people call us the new York of the south other than the ever increasing skyline. Were rude and I love it. Miamians have attitude deal with it. Get over. I love cutting people have and flicking the finger when they cut me off. We are a rude arrogant but Hot looking people lol, but people will be nice to you if your nice to them. NOT ever body but the vast majority will. We are not a fake people. We say it like it is. If you want to be lied to go somewhere else. And thats a fact..Thats what happens when you live in a densely populated place like Miami. Well except if you live in San Fransisco lol. Miami is a great city. Sure we had our wild frontier days in the 80s, but every great city goes through that, and yes Miami is great. Am proud to be a miamian. Were not a bunch of illiterate beaners. You know the people that were actually born or raised here do speak English way better than Spanish. They do consider themselves Americans. Miami is growing. Most people around the world can only identify a few places in the US. Miami being one of them

Miami also has many problems. We have a nasty transportation system. The metro rail is not nearly long enough as it should be for our population. Some of our politicians are corrupt, but hey at least they admit it. And really an honest politician is an oxy moron. No body ever goes to a marlins game. We have too many things to do. Our schools are way too overcrowded, but they are building new schools. Immigrants also dint make learning English a priority. Which they should i think it brings a certain unity to a multicultural society. I will be the first to say this. Some of are people need to learn some damn English, but for the most part people here are bilingual. I saw this on a news channel the other day. Most second generation Hispanics actually assimilate faster than any other race beating the closes by 7 percent. Most forget Spanish and only talk English. Trust me my Spanish needs work.

REALLY READ THIS ONE. I guess not everyone hates Miami. Our population is expected to double by 2060. And the same for Florida. http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org/planning/2060.asp

Here read this were not as poor as people think we are. We can't all ride donkeys to work and send are kids to the streets to sell candy instead of school. http://www.miamiherald.com/103/story/86839.html

This is a San Francisco article. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Listen people Miami is a test. Most cities will be a minority majority in 50 years. So you better hope it works. All this bashing doesn't help. If it didn't work before, well too bad it's starting to work NOW. by 2012 we will have a biggest skyline after NY and Chicago. People love it here. the world loves it here. Sometimes it feels like if the world loves us more than our fellow Americans. Hopefully that changes. Miami is here to stay and will only get better.

Last edited by Southfloridamiamian; 05-22-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 PM

44 posts, read 137,642 times
Miami is NOT as bad as people it make it seem here. Absurd. Even the Miami ghettos are not nearly as bad either not even little Haiti. Try living in Newark NJ, or some of the ghettos in LA. Now those are some real ghettos. From personal experience actually having lived or visited all these places, Miami is leave it to beaver literally, one of my cousins visited here and when i took him to places like little Havana and little Haiti he just laughed at me when i told him that these were some of the "bad" areas of Miami I remember my cousins having to walk me to school with a gun back in Newark. In some parts of LA just wearing the wrong colors no matter what race you are will get you shot. For all the Miami bashers calling it a third world country. Have ever of you even visited a third world country? I'm half Latin and i have. Trust me its not. You know what a third world country really is. It's little kids having to go sell candy on the streets barefoot. It means never knowing if you're going to have enough money to eat. For god sake being poor in Miami means having a car, cable TV, a wifi connection, and an ever growing obesity problem. Are Miami people rude. Hell yes we are and i say it proudly. New yorkers are just as rude and everybody seems to accept them. That is why some people call us the new York of the south other than the ever increasing skyline. Were rude and I love it. Miamians have attitude deal with it. Get over. I love cutting people have and flicking the finger when they cut me off. We are a rude arrogant but Hot looking people lol, but people will be nice to you if your nice to them. NOT ever body but the vast majority will. We are not a fake people. We say it like it is. If you want to be lied to go somewhere else. And thats a fact..Thats what happens when you live in a densely populated place like Miami. Well except if you live in San Fransisco lol. Miami is a great city. Sure we had our wild frontier days in the 80s, but every great city goes through that, and yes Miami is great. Am proud to be a miamian. Were not a bunch of illiterate beaners. You know the people that were actually born or raised here do speak English way better than Spanish. They do consider themselves Americans. Miami is growing. Most people around the world can only identify a few places in the US. Miami being one of them

Miami also has many problems. We have a nasty transportation system. The metro rail is not nearly long enough as it should be for our population. Some of our politicians are corrupt, but hey at least they admit it. And really an honest politician is an oxy moron. No body ever goes to a marlins game. We have too many things to do. Our schools are way too overcrowded, but they are building new schools. Immigrants also dint make learning English a priority. Which they should i think it brings a certain unity to a multicultural society. I will be the first to say this. Some of are people need to learn some damn English, but for the most part people here are bilingual. I saw this on a news channel the other day. Most second generation Hispanics actually assimilate faster than any other race beating the closes by 7 percent. Most forget Spanish and only talk English. Trust me my Spanish needs work.

REALLY READ THIS ONE. I guess not everyone hates Miami. Our population is expected to double by 2060. And the same for Florida. http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org/planning/2060.asp

Here read this were not as poor as people think we are. We can't all ride donkeys to work and send are kids to the streets to sell candy instead of school. http://www.miamiherald.com/103/story/86839.html

This is a San Francisco article. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Listen people Miami is a test. Most cities will be a minority majority in 50 years. So you better hope it works. All this bashing doesn't help. If it didn't work before, well too bad it's starting to work NOW. by 2012 we will have a biggest skyline after NY and Chicago. People love it here. the world loves it here. Sometimes it feels like if the world loves us more than our fellow Americans. Hopefully that changes. Miami is here to stay and will only get better.

Last edited by Southfloridamiamian; 05-22-2007 at 09:56 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM

Thank you, Southfloridamiamian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami